Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Footpod question [Uno_mas!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uno_mas! wrote:
SummitAK, Have you had a chance to use the Runn? I have a great treadmill at home and am leery of some of the issues with the different footpods. Haven't found Ray's review of the Runn. I found an old review of the GEM but not the Runn.

Thanks!

Yes. It was a pretty simple installation, There is one button on it for everything and the calibration sequence is a PITA because the led light indicators can be confusing. It is a device that begs for an app.

I measured out my treadmill belt and put on 10 of the reflective decals. They are silver Mylar and go on easy. Not sure how they’ll stick over time as my treadmill belt surface has lots of traction points and there is minimal adhesive on the tabs.

After I got the Runn installed and calibrate I found that our treadmill is almost spot on. It actually runs a tiny bit faster than displayed/set speed. Now I’ve got it dialed with Zwift and have to figure out how I want to handle the stryd indicating low on treadmill vs, outside. Calibration on Garmin is by foot pod device and not activity type.

Our treadmill is a commercial Technogym. It has the C-Safe port that allow use of the former Wahoo Gem Retro module now sold and supported by NPE. I think I was the non-commercial early adopter and it gave me erratic results. I tried it recently and it worked great. With the speed being verified I may just go to the Gem instead of run. It is powered thru the Ethernet link so no need to charge. I’ll run them together for a while to confirm.
Quote Reply
Re: Footpod question [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the feedback. There is a app for calibrating the Runn. I believe it is called GymConnect? Not sure if that is right but the calibration clip is on YouTube which I found on their Facebook page. Incidentally the Facebook page appears to have a lot of information on it. The guys at NPE appear to monitor it as well since I saw a few questions that people had were answered in the forum.

Only issue that I saw with calibration using the app was that it was only available on a iPhone. I am a diehard Android user and hate nearly everything Apple (the Ipod is the exception to this). Looks like you can also manually calibrate it as well as you mentioned. Personally, I see a lot of potential for this device. Refining the device by using something different that sticky pads to calibrate it would be the first upgrade I would work on. I would love to use the GEM but my treadmill does not have a CSAFE port. I run on a 2015 Woodway Widepath. My treadmill already transmits speed via Bluetooth and ANT+ so looking at adding cadence and incline to the equation.

Does the sensor control the incline in Zwift? Or does it just report it? ($64,000 question)

Have you compared the differences in cadence from the Stryd/ Runn/ GEM?

Would be interesting to see how accurate pace for Stryd compares to the sensor. Would imagine that the pace for the Stryd would be the most accurate because it is getting the reading off your actual foot. The algorithm for the cadence on the Runn would be really interesting to look at.
Quote Reply

Prev Next