Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain.
Quote | Reply
Ang Lee's (now) celebrated film Brokeback Mountain is a rather expedient treatment of a series of complex topics.

The movies explores (and to a degree, exploits) themes of love, friendship, social criticism and most conspicuously but likely not most importantly- homosexuality.

The most prominent feature of the film to many viewers is the "hook" that it features a relationship between two gay men in the 1960's prior to a (slightly) higher degree of acceptance for alternative lifestyles in the U.S. Depicting the characters as cowboys seems to contrast their lifestyle in even greater relief from the more frequent perception of cowboys as an icon of heterosexuality.

The movie is sad. It is about loss, repression, prejudice, intolerance, infidelity and disappointment. None of the themes are pleasant.

Each viewer will take a different impression away from the film, likely tied to their perception and opinion of the gay lifestyle. But to say this is a film about gay cowboys is to take too superficial a view of it. Unfortunately, most people we see it that way.

I thought Brokeback Mountain was a fairly well made film with good acting and characters. Masterful and tricky story writing. audiences will have a wide spectrum of reactions. It is not a "feel good" film whether you are a gay person or a straight person. If I left the theater with the impression that ignorance and intolerance are terrible things (duh...) and that the gay lifestyle is a very difficult one.

I would stop short of saying I "liked" the movie. It made me sad. I felt terrible for the characters and everyone surrounding them. The movie is well made, but it is somewhat bracing and disturbing. While this may make me as guilty of intolerance as the awful characters who torment the gay men in Brokeback Mountain, I doubt I would see it again- it was looking at a bad car accident.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sorry, Tom, but I can't accept any review by you of a movie that is considered some form of a love story until you disavow, retract or deny any and all comments made by you stating that Titanic was a great movie. Do that first, and then we'll talk.

;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, ahh, I sure liked Titanic better than Brokeback Mountain. Although they arguably had similar endings in a weird twist of irony....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The movies explores (and to a degree, exploits) themes of love, friendship, social criticism and most conspicuously but likely not most importantly- homosexuality.

Just like Wedding Crashers. =)

Honestly, the case is rare that I want to watch a movie and observe emotional lines that are prevalent in everyday life. Rare is the case when I want to spend $20 to see "reality".

If the movie were simply "just" a 'love-friendship' story, with heartbreak involved, it would likely not be seperable from every other love-friendship-heartbreak movie that's been made. The difference with this movie seems to be obvious, and the novelty translates to finances ... or at least that's how it seems to me. Apart from the "gay cowboys", is there anything in the movie that we haven't seen in countless other films that surround a "forbidden love"? ... whether it be love across economic classes, across races and/or cultures?

Again, seems to me the movie is such a success b/c [1] it's about gays (i.e., novelty), and [2] the actors representing the gay men are good-looking, talented actors. Is it just me or is this movie getting more than its share of national attention? Again, I highly doubt it's b/c of the "heartbreak" involved in the script. It may be silly to say that since I keep posting in the Gay Cowboys threads. Heck, even gay cowboys are more interesting then politics ... although I'm not quite sure what that reveals about myself.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may be silly to say that since I keep posting in the Gay Cowboys threads. Heck, even gay cowboys are more interesting then politics ... although I'm not quite sure what that reveals about myself.

Simple. It says you don't like politics and are gay.

:)

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually it takes a few months for a new bride to neuter her husband.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cowboys Are My Weakness By LARRY DAVID

NYTimes - January 1, 2006

SOMEBODY had to write this, and it might as well be me. I haven't seen "Brokeback Mountain," nor do I have any intention of seeing it. In fact, cowboys would have to lasso me, drag me into the theater and tie me to the seat, and even then I would make every effort to close my eyes and cover my ears.

And I love gay people. Hey, I've got gay acquaintances. Good acquaintances, who know they can call me anytime if they had my phone number. I'm for gay marriage, gay divorce, gay this and gay that. I just don't want to watch two straight men, alone on the prairie, fall in love and kiss and hug and hold hands and whatnot. That's all.

Is that so terrible? Does that mean I'm homophobic? And if I am, well, then that's too bad. Because you can call me any name you want, but I'm still not going to that movie.

To my surprise, I have some straight friends who've not only seen the movie but liked it. "One of the best love stories ever," one gushed. Another went on, "Oh, my God, you completely forget that it's two men. You in particular will love it."

"Why me?"

"You just will, trust me."

But I don't trust him. If two cowboys, male icons who are 100 percent all-man, can succumb, what chance to do I have, half- to a quarter of a man, depending on whom I'm with at the time? I'm a very susceptible person, easily influenced, a natural-born follower with no sales-resistance. When I walk into a store, clerks wrestle one another trying to get to me first. My wife won't let me watch infomercials because of all the junk I've ordered that's now piled up in the garage. My medicine cabinet is filled with vitamins and bald cures.

So who's to say I won't become enamored with the whole gay business? Let's face it, there is some appeal there. I know I've always gotten along great with men. I never once paced in my room rehearsing what to say before asking a guy if he wanted to go to the movies. And I generally don't pay for men, which of course is their most appealing attribute.

And gay guys always seem like they're having a great time. At the Christmas party I went to, they were the only ones who sang. Boy that looked like fun. I would love to sing, but this weighty, self-conscious heterosexuality I'm saddled with won't permit it.

I just know if I saw that movie, the voice inside my head that delights in torturing me would have a field day. "You like those cowboys, don't you? They're kind of cute. Go ahead, admit it, they're cute. You can't fool me, gay man. Go ahead, stop fighting it. You're gay! You're gay!"

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Larry David appears in the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't "not being interested in politics" make "being gay" impossible?

I thought to be gay you had to be enamored with politics and celebrities?

=)

--------------------------

I guess I'm just not a modern man, I [1] haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, [2] don't watch soccer, [3] don't support the WNBA (are you kiddin' me?), [4] don't shave anything but my face, [5] don't desire to talk about politics all the time (as if people are "informed").

Geez, I might as well be a Neanderthal.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just can't get into a movie where one man smells another man's shirt.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd only comment on your suggesting BM was 'old hat'. Truth is there are only about 8 human emotion based storylines out there and Shakespeare had them all. The only measure of anything that's come since is how well the film/book/play etc. portrays the emotions involved and whether it's good enough to draw the audience in and invoke an empathetic response.

For me BM really succeeded on this measure. I saw it with my girlfriend and didn't expect the film to be good enough to make me understand two characters with whom I had nothing in common. But it did - I thought it was excellent.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Truth is there are only about 8 human emotion based storylines out there and Shakespeare had them all.

That's a fair point.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just sent to me today in an email:

Weekly Grocery List for Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist

Summer, 1962

WEEK ONE

> Beans

> Bacon

> Coffee

> Whiskey

WEEK TWO

> Beans

> Ham

> Coffee

> Whiskey

WEEK THREE

> Beans

> Bacon

> Coffee

> Whiskey

> K-Y

WEEK FOUR

> Beans

> Pancetta

> Coffee (espresso grind)

> Whiskey

> 2 tubes K-Y

WEEK FIVE

> Fresh Fava beans

> Jasmine rice

> Prosciutto, approx. 8 ounces, thinly sliced

> Medallions of veal

> Porcini mushrooms

> 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream

> 1 Cub Scout uniform, size 42 long

> 5-6 bottles good Chardonnay

> 1 large bottle Astro-glide

WEEK SIX

> Yukon Gold potatoes

> Heavy whipping cream

> Asparagus (very thin)

> Eggs

> Lemons

> Gruyere cheese (well aged)

> Walnuts

> Arugula

> Butter

> Olive oil

> Balsamic vinegar

> 6 yards white silk organdy

> 6 yards pale ivory taffeta

> Case of Chardonnay

> Large tin Crisco

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gay cowboys ruin everything. HEY FAGS! STAY IN THE CITY WHERE YOU BELONG!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, and AMEN!

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

(edited to switch to different host of same image)

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Last edited by: Xenu: Feb 14, 06 23:53
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Brokeback Mountain. [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man that is funny. Thanks.
Quote Reply