Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle measurement question
Quote | Reply
Probably a stupid question, but when measuring saddle height is the norm to measure from the BB to the center of the rails or somewhere closer to the tip of the saddle? Same question for measuring seat tube angle. I am using a Fizik Mistica if it matters.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle measurement question [dave_o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_o wrote:
Probably a stupid question, but when measuring saddle height is the norm to measure from the BB to the center of the rails or somewhere closer to the tip of the saddle? Same question for measuring seat tube angle. I am using a Fizik Mistica if it matters.

Thanks!

I think people use different ways to measure. I know my fitter, who is well respected, measures 10cm from the tip of the saddle down to the BB.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle measurement question [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would always use the middle of the seat post clamp as this removes saddle geometry from the picture but I am guess that wouldn't be helpful for what you are trying to quantify.

If you are switching saddles or switching the same saddle between bikes what you really want to focus on is the point of the saddle where you sit. If I am correct the Mistica saddle is a blunt nose saddle so it you are keeping this saddle but switching bikes I would use the nose of the saddle. If you are looking to swap saddles its a bit harder unless you are staying with a similar shape saddle. In that case you want to get the sweet spots of the saddle in the same place relative the BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of fitters used to measure from the tip of the saddle. That was not anatomically meaningful, but it was easy. Now with the popularity of short nosed saddles (ex. Specialized Power saddle) and "noseless" triathlon saddles (ISMs, Fizik Mistica, etc.), it is more common to measure to the sit bone contact point (road) or ischial contact point (TT/tri). Fitters will often mark this with tape on the saddle early in the fit so they are measuring to a constant point.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply