Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim breathing patterns, too much confusion out there... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve swam 3x trying this out and it seems to be getting better. It helps me get more proficient breathing to my non-dominant side. I don’t know if it’ll be something I do all the time, but it’s a tool in my toolbox I can use later if needed. Or who knows, maybe i will learn to prefer it 🤷🏻‍♂️
Quote Reply
Re: Swim breathing patterns, too much confusion out there... [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great news, knew you could get it after doing it for awhile. And if you are like me, you will just use it when you need it. I never do it when just swimming easy or moderate, but as soon as I ramp up to hard, it kicks right in where it is supposed to be, and gets you that extra gear that you can hold...
Quote Reply
Re: Swim breathing patterns, too much confusion out there... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it’s easier to practice at easier efforts. I can take my time and do it correctly. When I’m going harder, the water gets choppier and sometimes I have a hard time getting clean air on my left (non dominant) side. Then I’m gasping and choking and trying to catch up my breathing and find my rhythm again.

Still...it’s making me better on the left side, if anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it helps, for those that are still confused by what exactly is the stroke cycle being talked about here ...

For reference, traditional "bilateral" breathing is: (fyi, usually NOT optimal for fast distance swimming):
Pull left side & breathe
Pull right side
Pull left side
Pull right side & breathe
Pull left side
Pull right side
(repeat cycle)

And then, typical one-sided breathing is: (I use the left side in this example, but you can also substitute the word 'right' for the word 'left' and vice versa)
Pull left side & breathe
Pull right side
Pull left side & breathe
Pull right side
(repeat)

Finally, what is being talked about in this thread, and shown in some of the videos is this:
Pull left side & breathe
Pull right side
Pull left side & breathe
Pull left side
Pull left side & breathe
Pull right side
Pull left side & breathe
Pull left side
(repeat ... )

So, to summarize, what is slightly unusual about this breathing cycle is that it includes many stroke cycles where you might breathe to one side, followed by an immediate breath to the other side.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 30, 20 8:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next