Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best location for a traincation
Quote | Reply
Hi all- I have a week off in February and I’m looking to go somewhere warm for a week for a vacation with my SO. She wants somewhere warm/tropical, I want somewhere where I can get a long ride or two in. Any suggestions?

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kona!

Scott in Whistler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For truly tropical in February, might be tough to beat the Kona answer. Florida sucks for riding so that's out. I'd suggest Tucson or San Diego but in February they aren't exactly "tropical". But they'd be on the warm-ish side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orlando has a great place for open water swimming that is within earshot of Universal (you can hear the people on the Hogwarts ride from the swim start). Its called Lucky's Lake and it is held Monday-Friday at 6:30 am and Sat. 7:45am. here is the website: https://luckyslakeswim.com/

Another good Orlando training venue is the 10 Mile Clay loop in Clermont. The clay road runs through orange groves and has some hills which are rare in FL. Here is the facebook page for that venue: https://www.facebook.com/...oop-708378072513810/

Cycling in Orlando proper is not very good, but if you get to the outskirts on the east or west sides there are some good roads to ride on. I used to ride from UCF all the way to the Intercoastal channel a few years ago when I lived in that area, and there are decent backroads on the west side around Clermont as well. Here is a site with some of those roads; I would avoid the inter-city areas and park areas that are on the map: https://www.bikemap.net/en/l/4167147/

Orlando is not tropical per se in February, but it is temperate and comfortable compared to anywhere north of Florida.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the Maui last February for a week. Weather was great and there are a number of good options for riding. I like it better than the big island/Kona as the beaches nicer. Traffic seems better as well

I think I remember someone in a breakfast with bob interview saying that more pros are going to Maui rather than Kona to train leading in the weeks/months leading up to the race.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
Hi all- I have a week off in February and I’m looking to go somewhere warm for a week for a vacation with my SO. She wants somewhere warm/tropical, I want somewhere where I can get a long ride or two in. Any suggestions?

I also agree with the Maui suggestion. We head over there at the end of January and start of February. The weather is awesome with no worries about cool weather.

You can rent a great bike at West Maui Cycles (or Bikes, I can't recall right now). If you start at the bike shop, do the west Maui loop. Quite the hilly loop but you cannot beat the scenary. Plus, the traffic is usually minimal if you start early. I believe its right around 46 miles from bike shop to bike shop. You can also climb Haleakala for a nice LONG climb to 10,000ft (it will be cold there). Plus, there are so many roads to connect up on the island that its not hard to achieve a 100 plus ride if you really want it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St Croix, Tucson and Phoenix are cold in the winter.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
t's a holiday in Cambodia
Don't forget to pack a wife

If u aren't a dead Kennedy fan Thanyapura in phuket thailand is a popular choice, hot hilly and loaded with pros Imo Simmons I think still trains there.
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

St Croix average high and low temperatures range between 72 and 84 in the winter. If that's cold, you must live in hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona. I just did this and stayed at the Marriot at Waikaloa Village. Nice beach for open water swimming right there - it's where lavaman takes place. Can rent a bike and bike the Queen K or turn off Queen K and climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote would be Yosemite, CA.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For truly tropical in February, might be tough to beat the Kona answer. Florida sucks for riding so that's out. I'd suggest Tucson or San Diego but in February they aren't exactly "tropical". But they'd be on the warm-ish side.

The ONLY decent place to ride in Florida is in and around Claremont - to the north and west of Orlando. Weather in February is variable - can be awesome but you can also hit a cool to cold snap at that time of the year as well.

Tucson - has awesome riding options. Could go on and on about this. They just finished up a 130 mile bike path loop, that you don't have to cross any roads for I think on the whole of the loop!! Plus many great on-road riding options. Plus Mount Lemmon! Generally speaking at that time of the year, the mornings are cool to cold - can get down close to 0C at night, but will warm up rapidly into the high teens low 20'sC by mid-afternoon.

Kona - I was lucky enough to spend almost the whole month of February there this year. Awesome riding. Weather - amazing. It was my first time being there away from October, and I was really impressed. It's actually nicer in February! A little cooler, less humidity, less windy. Every day was almost a carbon copy of the previous day - Sunny, 30C and chance of an afternoon shower! However, this is mid-winter Prime-Time and accommodations are not surprisingly, tight.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 2, 19 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [stuckinnj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your profile says you're in California? If so, then go to Edmonton in January. Then when you get back to Cali, that'll feel tropical as hell...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Your profile says you're in California? If so, then go to Edmonton in January. Then when you get back to Cali, that'll feel tropical as hell...

HA HA HA. Oh, wait. Yeah, Jason has a point. Come here - everything will be tropical after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your location says California. From there, Maui can't be beat.

I'll be there last week of March. Anyone up for an East Maui loop, or "run" up the Kaupo Gap?
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

St Croix average high and low temperatures range between 72 and 84 in the winter. If that's cold, you must live in hell.

I meant St Croix is the place to train for a winter Traincation. Tucson and Phoenix can get cold.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

It's a DRY cold. LOL.

He could race the Canadian Birkie in February, just East of Edmonton.
Not sure how one trains for that in California though, ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Best location for a traincation [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

It's a DRY cold. LOL.

He could race the Canadian Birkie in February, just East of Edmonton.
Not sure how one trains for that in California though, ha!

Any place that pulls out the "why does my face hurt" meme for 5 months of the year counts as cold, dry or not. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:

I don't know if you decided on a location, and I'll be the first to admit, unless you have kids then Orlando may not be high on the list. Nonetheless another STer asked me about Clermont as they were going to be there for Christmas. It has something I have commented / answered before but I figured I would stop reinventing my own wheel every time and I just bit the bullet and started writing a more comprehensive resource to training in Clermont. If you are ever interested check it out here. Easy to get in a long ride or two without dealing with a ton of tourist traffic. Would do a plug for Tucson as well. Awesome place to train and awesome place to go if your wife is active but definitely not tropical.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly off topic, because the riding would be difficult.

But, I have been taking cruises for a number of years in late Jan, or Feb and using them as a training camp, because I can get in the gym twice a day and be utterly lazy for the rest of the time, while having pretty good control of the food I want. Some ships have spin bikes and a quiet chat with a "trainer" (and a tip) gets you all the bike time you need and some days you can swim in the ocean, which is always more fun than a pool.

It's a mini camp that keeps everyone happy.
Quote Reply