Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch?
Quote | Reply
I am very satisfied with my good ol' Suunto Ambit 3S. It's solid, has very good GPS (better than any other watch i've tested) and is serving me daily for three years now. But... it's ugly. I am looking for something more fashionable, but it should perform well.

I recently bumped into the Huawei GT2. It looks great, is very thin, looks like a normal watch, has two weeks battery life, has tons of features and is cheap! It even has a triathlon function. But... is the GPS accurate? According the site it has GPS, Glonass and Galileo support. Sounds great, because this is is what I always hear when people are complaing their open water GPS is inaccurate "ah it doesn't support Glonass". Anyway. I can't find anything about it.

Does any of you have experience with this specific watch or any other smartwatch in triathlons for that matter?
Last edited by: ic3d: Nov 25, 19 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [ic3d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you based in the USA/EU? Google “Huawei security risk.” While a smart watch isn’t exactly on the same level as a smart phone I’d think long and hard about getting anything Huawei.

This article is a good place to start: https://www.cnet.com/...urity-threat-mate-x/

Favorite Gear: Dimond | TriRig | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 25, 19 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the lay citizen, that's nothing but FUD.

The reason the US government is so paranoid about Huawei spying is because they've been doing it with Cisco and others for decades.I mean, who was the one who put in a RSA backdoor?
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in Europe (the Netherlands). I won't be using the "smart" functions such as receiving messages and such or even connect it with my phone. I'd just use it for sports. I'd doubt if they spy on me doing an indoor swim ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
For the lay citizen, that's nothing but FUD.

The reason the US government is so paranoid about Huawei spying is because they've been doing it with Cisco and others for decades.I mean, who was the one who put in a RSA backdoor?

Cisco isn’t a state sponsored tech company for the US government. You can see the difference, right? Tech and tech companies get exploited by government agencies all the time. That’s just the game. Huawei is just a separate beast from the normal game. Props to the Chinese government I guess.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | TriRig | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
aravilare wrote:
For the lay citizen, that's nothing but FUD.

The reason the US government is so paranoid about Huawei spying is because they've been doing it with Cisco and others for decades.I mean, who was the one who put in a RSA backdoor?


Cisco isn’t a state sponsored tech company for the US government. You can see the difference, right? Tech and tech companies get exploited by government agencies all the time. That’s just the game. Huawei is just a separate beast from the normal game. Props to the Chinese government I guess.

American technology companies have been cooperating with the NSA and the US government on a wide scale, and will only continue to do so with lucrative US government contracts coming down the pipe. Is that different than an SOE? Sure, but both the Chinese and the US are playing the same game with communications hardware and software.

My point is that most of us aren't worthy of being actively spied on, so it's a bit of a moot point. If you're subject to operational security requirements, chances are you shouldn't be using a GPS watch at all (as a bunch of overseas Americans realized with the Strava data).
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
aravilare wrote:
For the lay citizen, that's nothing but FUD.

The reason the US government is so paranoid about Huawei spying is because they've been doing it with Cisco and others for decades.I mean, who was the one who put in a RSA backdoor?


Cisco isn’t a state sponsored tech company for the US government. You can see the difference, right? Tech and tech companies get exploited by government agencies all the time. That’s just the game. Huawei is just a separate beast from the normal game. Props to the Chinese government I guess.


American technology companies have been cooperating with the NSA and the US government on a wide scale, and will only continue to do so with lucrative US government contracts coming down the pipe. Is that different than an SOE? Sure, but both the Chinese and the US are playing the same game with communications hardware and software.

My point is that most of us aren't worthy of being actively spied on, so it's a bit of a moot point. If you're subject to operational security requirements, chances are you shouldn't be using a GPS watch at all (as a bunch of overseas Americans realized with the Strava data).
..

I'm pretty sure the dudes Slowtwitch name is GMAN for a reason...
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [ic3d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But has anyone any idea how well the Chinese government can follow me in open water trough GPS? Or Strava for that matter. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [ic3d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On topic (!), I can tell you that I would not do a race with my Samsung Watch. Training, sure, unless it's something I need very specific functions from my Garmin, but race where I might depend on data, no. It's way too fidgety and not particularly designed with triathlon in mind... or any endurance sport, really. Strava app, Runkeeper app are ok but very basic.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [ic3d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can’t tell the difference between; surveillance and sports tracking, state and corporation, the legitimacy of your own state and that of China, go ahead.

This matters just as much to the specialist as to the lay person, because the potential impact is on us all.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [Tin pot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tin pot wrote:
If you can’t tell the difference between; surveillance and sports tracking, state and corporation, the legitimacy of your own state and that of China, go ahead.

This matters just as much to the specialist as to the lay person, because the potential impact is on us all.

You should change your username to "tin foil".
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [Tin pot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tin pot wrote:
If you can’t tell the difference between; surveillance and sports tracking, state and corporation, the legitimacy of your own state and that of China, go ahead.

This matters just as much to the specialist as to the lay person, because the potential impact is on us all.

Thank you. I was trying to be as subtle as possible but in reality there’s no fucking way I’m trusting a Huawei device. I work digital forensics. For the FBI. I would assume that carries some weight. Read between the lines here folks. </subtlety>

Favorite Gear: Dimond | TriRig | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Tin pot wrote:
If you can’t tell the difference between; surveillance and sports tracking, state and corporation, the legitimacy of your own state and that of China, go ahead.

This matters just as much to the specialist as to the lay person, because the potential impact is on us all.


Thank you. I was trying to be as subtle as possible but in reality there’s no fucking way I’m trusting a Huawei device. I work digital forensics. For the FBI. I would assume that carries some weight. Read between the lines here folks. </subtlety>
I work computer security for an organization you've all heard of.

What he said. Do not trust Huawei devices. Or Chinese smartphones in general. If you travel to China, take a throwaway device with you. Use it there. Don't access anything important with it. Wipe it and abandon it before returning.

Comparing Huawei and their Chinese Gov ties to Cisco and US Gov ties is absurd. Cisco etc did not cooperate with US Gov. US Gov (well NSA) developed ways of installing backdoors onto USA made network devices. NSA did that on their own.

Telcos did cooperate with NSA in order to tap the Internet backbones. That's a problem but one that affects everyone/everything. Use 256bit AES SSL with 2048 bit and up keys and they can't see jack. I see SlowTwitch finally encrypted. Nice!
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
On topic (!), I can tell you that I would not do a race with my Samsung Watch. Training, sure, unless it's something I need very specific functions from my Garmin, but race where I might depend on data, no. It's way too fidgety and not particularly designed with triathlon in mind... or any endurance sport, really. Strava app, Runkeeper app are ok but very basic.

Thanks, you convinced me. I'll cough up a few more bucks and will go for a Suunto 9. Too bad it's so bulky. But I'd prefer a working device over a fancy device.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [ic3d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ic3d wrote:
I am very satisfied with my good ol' Suunto Ambit 3S. It's solid, has very good GPS (better than any other watch i've tested) and is serving me daily for three years now. But... it's ugly. I am looking for something more fashionable, but it should perform well.

I recently bumped into the Huawei GT2. It looks great, is very thin, looks like a normal watch, has two weeks battery life, has tons of features and is cheap! It even has a triathlon function. But... is the GPS accurate

Does any of you have experience with this specific watch or any other smartwatch in triathlons for that matter?



Iv been looking at gps run watched over the past few weeks after starting some running. Just been using my fitbit to keep track.

Looked at the GT2, find it hard to believe that its got 2 week battery life. Nice watch and i'm sure it will work well.

I also looked at the Garmin Forerunner 30. Its got minimal features but probably all most will need. Half the price of the GT2.

I do find that battery life on any of my garmin products seems to be on the low side.

Not sure if it will link to Strava, which may or may not be an issue if that's the case.
Last edited by: Mario S: Nov 28, 19 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's battery-life apperently really is about two weeks. It will probably decrease if you're using GPS a lot though.

Garmin (in general) is great for running, cycling, etc. In the open water hoever, they tend to be very inaccurate. At least in my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [ic3d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ic3d wrote:
I am very satisfied with my good ol' Suunto Ambit 3S. It's solid, has very good GPS (better than any other watch i've tested) and is serving me daily for three years now. But... it's ugly. I am looking for something more fashionable, but it should perform well.

I recently bumped into the Huawei GT2. It looks great, is very thin, looks like a normal watch, has two weeks battery life, has tons of features and is cheap! It even has a triathlon function. But... is the GPS accurate? According the site it has GPS, Glonass and Galileo support. Sounds great, because this is is what I always hear when people are complaing their open water GPS is inaccurate "ah it doesn't support Glonass". Anyway. I can't find anything about it.

Does any of you have experience with this specific watch or any other smartwatch in triathlons for that matter?

There is no way I would by anything by Huawei.
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My plan is to buy Huawei and then run/cycle really slowly. That will confuse all of those spies and allow me to crush my age group at my local duration next summer when I totally outperform my training numbers...

EDIT to fix a typo.
Last edited by: giorgitd: Nov 29, 19 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: Smartwatch (Huawei) as a triathlon watch? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
ic3d wrote:
I am very satisfied with my good ol' Suunto Ambit 3S. It's solid, has very good GPS (better than any other watch i've tested) and is serving me daily for three years now. But... it's ugly. I am looking for something more fashionable, but it should perform well.

I recently bumped into the Huawei GT2. It looks great, is very thin, looks like a normal watch, has two weeks battery life, has tons of features and is cheap! It even has a triathlon function. But... is the GPS accurate? According the site it has GPS, Glonass and Galileo support. Sounds great, because this is is what I always hear when people are complaing their open water GPS is inaccurate "ah it doesn't support Glonass". Anyway. I can't find anything about it.

Does any of you have experience with this specific watch or any other smartwatch in triathlons for that matter?

There is no way I would by anything by Huawei.

You will be telling us the Earth is flat next . 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Quote Reply