Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Fondos increasingly are races on the timed climbing segments. Lookup almost any GFNS event, timed segments.

Commuting and for exercise for physio and heart patients, heck yeah. Maybe replace some cars in stage racing with safer Ebikes to bring food or bottles. Ebikes for the win there.

Anything else, it’s bullshit. Endurance sport is about the purity of suffering. Which is why there’s such a strong condemnation of dopers.

Yeah, timed segments are common too. But the ones I'm referring are pure start-to-finish races.

I'm in between Mario and Huffy. I think e-bikes can be welcome at gran fondos and other rides. But they need their own mass start time, and some clear rules. At times they do not belong amongst other riders. Good fences make good neighbors.

There are some types of ad-hoc group rides where they are not welcome. They have no place at some competitive group rides.
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
I think some of you need educated. A grand fondo is not a race.

Sometimes you just need to shut your mouth instead of proving your ignorance. Your gran fondos might be lolly gags, but the National Gran Fondo series here is a combination ride/race with time segments. E.g., if your select the century event, you will race 4 timed sections within the century. The sum total of your segment times will determine your score and placing in your age group. Your total time to complete the century is irrelevant, but the segments are marked with flags, bell ringers, and each segment is an ALL OUT Time Trial. Below is from their website:

"A Gran Fondo is a cycling challenge that takes bicycle racing to the next level. Part personal challenge, part serious competition, the Gran Fondo National Series courses lead riders through country roads with challenging climbs and incredible scenery. Courses are offered in lengths of ~30, ~60, and ~100 miles so participants can take part in a distance that matches their goals and ability. Each rider is assigned an electronic timing-chip to keep track of their progress throughout the course and to allow riders to compete for best time through highlighted sections of the course. There is no start to finish time as in traditional racing formats, but rather only time sections count toward a rider's competition time. This means you can take your time between race sections, stop at the aid stations, and regroup to enjoy the ride with your friend and teammates. At the finish a hot meal and beverage awaits you, as well as finisher medals for the gran route finishers. Whether riding for a cause, a personal goal, or for competition, the Gran Fondo National Series courses are some of the most beautiful courses in the North America.
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Yeah, timed segments are common too. But the ones I'm referring are pure start-to-finish races.

I'm in between Mario and Huffy. I think e-bikes can be welcome at gran fondos and other rides. But they need their own mass start time, and some clear rules. At times they do not belong amongst other riders. Good fences make good neighbors.

There are some types of ad-hoc group rides where they are not welcome. They have no place at some competitive group rides.

E-Bikes are a god send for a large group of people and should be encouraged, but I agree they have no place in competition and some other events. My bike club was discussing this at its fall meeting. It was decided that they could not be used by any ride leader, and they will not be allowed at the A and open ride levels unless the user has rode at that level in the past on a standard bike. We decided it was ok for a member who has "reached that age" where his brain and skills still put him at that level but his heart and lungs don't to use an E-bike to extend his ability to ride at the level he is accustomed, but they can't be used by the new guy that decides he wants to jump from the Bell and Basket group to the "we eat our young" drop ride. We also require riders to clearly identify that they have an E-bike at the beginning of the ride.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think e-bikes are fantastic and open up all kinds of interesting options. Riding with people who are less fit, riding longer, self-shuttling singletrack etc. Personally, I'm fine with e-bikes anywhere except timed/competitive events and fast "A group" training rides. One exception: a non-skilled rider getting in over their head.
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. This is my experience... I did a 100K GF in New Mexico a couple of years ago. Beautiful scenery and all. I like to use GF's as a test of sorts--a supported ride over a defined distance where I might have a lot of others pushing it too.

Anyways, there was one couple there on their e-bikes. Decked out like they had just finished a stage in the TDF. They were continuously first into every aid station, they ate a large portion of all the best foods, and they went slightly faster than me to make drafting impossible. No redeeming qualities :).
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Mario S wrote:
I think some of you need educated. A grand fondo is not a race.

Sometimes you just need to shut your mouth instead of proving your ignorance.

"A Gran Fondo is a cycling challenge that takes bicycle racing to the next level. Part personal challenge, part serious competition, the Gran Fondo National Series courses lead riders through country roads with challenging climbs and incredible scenery. Courses are offered in lengths of ~30, ~60, and ~100 miles so participants can take part in a distance that matches their goals and ability. Each rider is assigned an electronic timing-chip to keep track of their progress throughout the course and to allow riders to compete for best time through highlighted sections of the course. There is no start to finish time as in traditional racing formats, but rather only time sections count toward a rider's competition time. This means you can take your time between race sections, stop at the aid stations, and regroup to enjoy the ride with your friend and teammates. At the finish a hot meal and beverage awaits you, as well as finisher medals for the gran route finishers. Whether riding for a cause, a personal goal, or for competition, the Gran Fondo National Series courses are some of the most beautiful courses in the North America.

Pmsl and here was me thinking that they were just a fab way of ripping money off of overpaid middle class bike owners.

Just cause there is a stop watch at the start and end doesn't make it a race.

Timed events are not races. They should not be ridden like races. In fact the real problem with fondos and sportives are not the riders who are on ebikes or new and have less skill, it's the Fannie's who think they are Peter Sagan and ride like it's a stage of the TdF.

Usually the same ones who won't enter a race, because they will get dropped like a turd after a dodgy curry.
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [SlowFred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm cool with them on group rides. I know a couple people who have had injuries or are just getting older and can't keep up anymore. I'd love to see them show back up and be part of our group/community with some motorized assistance.

Last night I was riding a MTB trail and was being chased by a guy on an ebike. When we got back to the parking lot we both had a good laugh about how fun it was. We were both out on the trail in the dark just "playing bikes." Nothing wrong with that.

I do believe there is a line that shouldn't be crossed...i just don't know exactly where that line is. Obviously people shouldn't be getting awards or on podiums in events that are supposed to be self-powered. They also shouldn't provide pacing assistance or a draft to somebody who is competing in a self-powered event. Basically, if it is a race i think they should not be allowed. If it's a t-shirt ride, i don't care. Run what you brung but don't be an idiot about it (don't ride above your skill level and endanger the people around you).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In other words, you are e-bike fan boy. I said in my very first post on this thread that I thought they were fine except for in competitive races. So now your defense is that timed gran fondo events with age groups and awards are not "real races". Who is the twat now?
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
In other words, you are e-bike fan boy. I said in my very first post on this thread that I thought they were fine except for in competitive races. So now your defense is that timed gran fondo events with age groups and awards are not "real races". Who is the twat now?

Don't feed the troll. Clearly the guy is just trying to bait cyclists on forums. His lack of knowledge of the sport is a giveaway.
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattRnr wrote:
Can I ride an electric motorcycle, or even a gas powered one for that matter, in your club ride or a Gran Fondo?

No one previously would have thought that riding a moped in a cycling event was ok, but now we have e-bikes, which look like regular bikes, so that's somehow ok because it looks like a bike. Ridiculous!

I think e-bikes are fine for transportation and personal enjoyment, but cycling events are for bicycles. They should be for human powered bikes only.

I don't think anyone is saying that an ebike should be allowed to "compete" against traditional bikes. If you're using an ebike, you're either disqualifying yourself from any type of results, or proactively (or somehow forced by the event organizer) removing yourself from a situation where you could be impacting results intended for traditionally powered bikes.

If you can handle your bike properly in a group, then I'm fine with it. That goes for if you are riding an ebike, tribike, MTB or if you're a super strong cyclist on a road bike. What you ride doesn't matter...it's how you ride it that makes all the difference. There are more than enough group ride crashes caused by clueless riders on traditional road bikes because the rider is incompetent...not because they were not using the correct bike.

You ever see strong cyclists using moto pacing for training...yeah...that's because the guy driving the moto is doing so in a controlled way that works with other cyclists. The fact that he has a motor doesn't automatically disqualify him from being able to ride with other cyclists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
E-bikes are great for getting people started. I'm a fan of their general usage.

But if you think e-bikes should be allowed in timed events with podiums you have disqualified yourself from being allowed to have a non-laughable opinion. Might as well pop 'em in an Ironman because most people "just want to finish."

Local example, GFNY is taken as seriously as any Ironman, and I assure you it is a race.

I'm sure you'll keep taking and say something snarky about us disregarding your opinions as laughable, but it is what it is mate.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Nov 27, 19 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need to ride an ebike to be a poor bike handler.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mario, yeah you're right. If the triathletes in that video didn't have to really pedal they would have had momentum and not fallen. They should all be riding e-bikes. You win! Now go away troll.
Last edited by: MattRnr: Nov 27, 19 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
I think e bikes are great. If the road versions were more affordable (or if I made more money...LOL) I'd certainly buy one just from the standpoint of being able to cruise around on a bike for 3-5 hours and enjoy being outside without feeling completely wasted by lunchtime. If I end up feeling strong and want the workout...just don't engage the motor/battery...or go farther/faster with the motor/battery in the same amount of time adding in the watts I'm putting into the pedals.

As for group rides...I think they are fine for "casual" group rides where everyone keeps 1 bike length apart and nobody is really trying to tuck into the draft. Just hang in the middle or back and just make sure you are not torturing the rest of the group by going to the front and forcing the pace too high.

For more aggressive group rides, as long as the rider using an e bike has experience with how tight groups works it should be fine. What worries me is when a novice rider who has no experience riding with Cat 1-3 type road racers shows up with an e bike and gets into the action for the first time only because he can now hang with a motor. There is a lot more too riding with that type of group than having enough power...but as long as you know what you're doing, I don't see it as a problem.

As for fondos...I wouldn't mind seeing an e bike division where they are separated from the results and started in a way where they can't get into the mix with those intending to compete. While I do think we should hang onto bike racing events as traditional competitions of fitness, we also have to accept that that market is dying out. If event organizers want maximum participation, they have to get creative on how to be more inclusive of other markets who may be interested in dropping money for their event but can't do so without an e bike.

i'm not quite sure why the thread has continued after this post which pretty much sums it up as far as i am concerned.
probably the one thing missing is consideration of the different characteristics of an ebike over mixed terrain - on the flat they may struggle to keep up with a fast bunch due to speed limitations on the motor so will be reduced to hanging on in the draft. on sustained climbs they will slaughter most people. this mismatch may cause some confusion but shouldn't really be a problem as long as everyone understands it.
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [SlowFred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, group ride is fine....if the group is OK with it. It's a great way to increase inclusiveness, and integrate more folks into "no drop" rides.

IMO Centuries and Fondos are another story entirely. They are purposefully there to challenge ourselves. Centuries will typically have multiple distances (30mi/62mi/100mi for example) to accommodate different fitness levels. Doing the 100mi represents a commitment to training enough to complete the event (much like training for a marathon or IM). Using an ebike removes that challenge. You shouldn't claim you did an endurance event, unless you did it under your own power.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattRnr wrote:
Can I ride an electric motorcycle, or even a gas powered one for that matter, in your club ride or a Gran Fondo?

No one previously would have thought that riding a moped in a cycling event was ok, but now we have e-bikes, which look like regular bikes, so that's somehow ok because it looks like a bike. Ridiculous!

I think e-bikes are fine for transportation and personal enjoyment, but cycling events are for bicycles. They should be for human powered bikes only.

Some guy will show up to a grand fondo with out of these:

It's a bike and its electric and has 2000W of power. But on closer look it appears that Sebi Kienle MAY beat the rider to T2. Seems like the range is 100km leaving the rider with a long walk pushing said bike along the Queen K all the way from Hawi (100km point at IM Hawaii) to Kona

https://stanfordebike.en.made-in-china.com/...ctric-Motorbike.html

In all seriousness though I have debated getting an Ebike. This way I could ride it like a normal bike for bike commuting to work, but when I am time pressed at lunch time and want to ride to the pool, I could just put it in Ebike mode at 60 kph and cut my transit time to pool in half and spend more time swimming (this way I don't need my car to get to pool to maximized pool time). Then at the end fo the day, just ride it like a real bike for exercise when I have all the time in the world to put in miles.

I see the value of the ebike to use as times as a "car replacement" to get places way faster than I can on a bike when time pressed and when I have more time, ride it in normal bicycle mode. This way I don't need a car and bike. I just use it in ebike mode when I would have otherwise needed my car when I am tight for time.

I see NO place for an eBike in timed events of any kind.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
IMO, group ride is fine....if the group is OK with it. It's a great way to increase inclusiveness, and integrate more folks into "no drop" rides.

IMO Centuries and Fondos are another story entirely. They are purposefully there to challenge ourselves. Centuries will typically have multiple distances (30mi/62mi/100mi for example) to accommodate different fitness levels. Doing the 100mi represents a commitment to training enough to complete the event (much like training for a marathon or IM). Using an ebike removes that challenge. You shouldn't claim you did an endurance event, unless you did it under your own power.

Not necessarily. A lot of century/fondo event organizers are also putting these events encourage increased ridership locally, allow participants to have a good time, and to bring in enough entry fees to turn a profit, donate to charity, or fund non-profit bike advocacy programs.

Of course when you ask ST about this, the audience is generally viewing things from a different prism. 95% of century and fondo participants DGAF what anyone else is doing as long as they aren't making it more dangerous for them...which goes for all riders, regardless of what type of bike you're riding.
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think in any kind of organized group event, whether that be a century ride or even your local group, it would be good form for e-bikes to have some sort of identifying feature...such as a tail light/headlight combo. That's helpful to people like myself with a mental disorder that drives them to have to try to "win" all the time. I don't mind getting crushed by ebikes but I at least want to be able to console myself that it was the bike, if that is the fact of the matter.
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
I think in any kind of organized group event, whether that be a century ride or even your local group, it would be good form for e-bikes to have some sort of identifying feature...such as a tail light/headlight combo. That's helpful to people like myself with a mental disorder that drives them to have to try to "win" all the time. I don't mind getting crushed by ebikes but I at least want to be able to console myself that it was the bike, if that is the fact of the matter.

Lol, love it. πŸ‘

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
I encourage anyone to ride, e-bike or otherwise, but issues may arise when an e-bike joins other people on regular bikes.

E bikes have no place in any event with a timed component such as Gran Fondos with timed subsections. They should be banned outright from those events. Over here, e-bikes can reach speeds of 28 mph and there are already versions out there that are indistinguishable from a road bike with a fat, stiff down tube. As with PEDS, you can be assured that as any visual differences between regular and e-bikes disappear, that there will be more and more cheating. Unless organizers can find cheap technology to quickly weed out those bikes, the interest in competitive events is likely to decline even further.

For group rides it is up to the group whether they will tolerate an e-bike or not. If the group accepts them then it is no skin off my back.

For non-competitive century rides and similar, I don't think you'll be able to keep them out, but safety may be compromised if an e-bike rider decides to slot into a much faster group than he/she is otherwise capable of. Rightly or wrongly, I would generalize that an e-bike rider would have reduced bike handling skill compared to those who can go the same speed on their own.

That's exactly the kind of pish I'm talking about.

That's a load of rubbish.

Did someone steal the only Strava KoM you had with and ebike? Oh poor wee soul. πŸ˜‚

It's not rubbish.

I wouldn't want to ride in a group ride with folks on ebikes. If you can't naturally ride at those speeds there is a very good chance your bike handling in general and at those speeds are probably not up to par.

I could care less if you get your kicks out of stealing Strava segments, but safety is high priority.
Quote Reply
Re: E-bikes in the group ride/fondo [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:

It's not rubbish.

I wouldn't want to ride in a group ride with folks on ebikes. If you can't naturally ride at those speeds there is a very good chance your bike handling in general and at those speeds are probably not up to par.

See post #37
Quote Reply

Prev Next