Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Suit Watt Saves
Quote | Reply
Has anyone got real stats behind many different companies claims of their trisuits being the fastest or typical watt save indicators.

I understand conditions can produce different results in preference of one suit over another. There is some high priced trisuits and more retail style suits which are less expensive. Typically speaking does anyone know what kind of watt saves we are talking about from the top 3 over the cheaper brand trisuits or any real data to support the same

Bioracer
D2Z
Skinfit

Over cheaper brands like

Roka
Castelli
Root
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suit Watt Saves [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling wrote:
Has anyone got real stats behind many different companies claims of their trisuits being the fastest or typical watt save indicators.

I understand conditions can produce different results in preference of one suit over another. There is some high priced trisuits and more retail style suits which are less expensive. Typically speaking does anyone know what kind of watt saves we are talking about from the top 3 over the cheaper brand trisuits or any real data to support the same

Bioracer
D2Z
Skinfit

Over cheaper brands like

Roka
Castelli
Root

What about Velotec for around $120?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suit Watt Saves [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am indifferent to the brands per say. Just interested to see if there are “real” watt saves and what are they typically if any between the big brands and the retail orientated brands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure it comes down to how it fits and how much wrinkling there is.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suit Watt Saves [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Pretty sure it comes down to how it fits and how much wrinkling there is.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Having tested a ton of suits in the tunnel I can tell you vs no shirt or a 2 piece sleeveless there is usually significant savings going to a sleeved suit.

Go search through my posts and you'll find #'s for many of the suits on the market. Or at least if not #s enough data to make a very informed decision for purchase

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suit Watt Saves [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks brian I spent 3 hours traveling through the posts this mornin and found a lot of stuff around helmets and position. Those 3 hours were spent just reading the posts and educating myself LOL! 😂😂
Generally speaking are these high end suits typically 5-10watts better than others or more like 1-3watts or none?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s even more complicated than that as your position come into play as well. This is why it’s so dependant on you, the rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling wrote:
Generally speaking are these high end suits typically 5-10watts better than others or more like 1-3watts or none?

I can recall differences as much as 13w between sleeveless and sleeved. I've also seen pretty significant differences in savings between suits. Sometimes it's 0w sometimes it's 8w between high end suits. You can have 2 people in to test, have them try the exact same suit and get drastically different drag reductions. As someone said it's fit, fit, fit. If I were buying suits and not testing I'd buy 2-3, keep the tags on, try them on (make sure you're not sweating in the suits), put my TT bike on the trainer and see how the suits shaped up around the shoulders/upper arms/lower back areas. I'd keep the one that fit the best, send the other suits back.

Having tested some suits recently (Huub, Spider 1, Spider 2, Roka Gen II) the Huub was 1 size too big so didn't do great, not horrible but not great. I suspect it's a fast suit just based on the drag reduction from 0 to -10yaw.

The Kiwami Spider 1 was ~ 4-5w slower at zero and ~ 6w slower at -10yaw then the Spider 2 & Roka suits. That's a pretty significant difference between 1st & 2nd generation suits even though the first gen Spider 1 for most people is still a very fast suit.

The Roka suit was ~1.25w faster at 0 and the Kiwami was ~ 1w faster at -10 yaw.

I went with the Kiwami Spider 2 suit.

I've been using Kiwami since, well, at least the last 7 seasons of racing and I have a long standing relationship with them from testing their kit pre Spider then advising on the Spider 1 design. I'm not going to use something significantly slower. Had something been 2-3 or more watts faster I'd be in something else. For next season I'll stick with the Kiwami.

Any more questions just ask.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 25, 19 14:40
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suit Watt Saves [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers thanks ‘
Quote Reply