Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to reduce q-factor (without breaking the bank)?
Quote | Reply
So my wife has had some inside knee pain pop up on one leg over the past week. While there are probably a number of things that this could be attributed to, the most likely seems to be a "wide" stance compared to the natural vertical line of the legs. As I observed her, it definitely does seem like her knees have to come in as she has fairly narrow hips. Cleats are already slammed all the way to the outside. GXP cranks with a quarq. Cheap spd-sl pedals. I know we could drop a few mm on each side there but thats where it can get kind of expensive and I'd be surprised if that 10mm or so was enough. Are we going to have to go with a different crankset/BB standard? The frame is a PF30. That would really be the last thing we'd want to do as the cranks have a Quarq so we'd have to find a different power meter as well.

I'm already looking for narrower pedals, but is there anything else that can be done?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: How to reduce q-factor (without breaking the bank)? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might not help but I went to speedplay and have left float really loose and right one a little tighter. The loose one allows my knee, foot and leg to move around during the pedal stroke. My right leg stays pretty straight up and down during pedal stroke. I had them both tight and got inside knee pain on my left knee.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to reduce q-factor (without breaking the bank)? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm okay. We currently just have the normal, pretty loose SPD-SL's, so float is pretty high as is. I've been looking to swap to speedplays but wasn't going to bother swapping Summers, might help troubleshoot the issue though. So expensive to get the 50mm titanium spindles though...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: How to reduce q-factor (without breaking the bank)? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For narrow pedals you could look at keywin. They have a lot of axel width options, I think. I ride them, because I needed a different q factor.
Quote Reply
Re: How to reduce q-factor (without breaking the bank)? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
For narrow pedals you could look at keywin. They have a lot of axel width options, I think. I ride them, because I needed a different q factor.

X2 my wife and I both have the ultra narrow versions. You can buy them through rotor USA.

Ben on them for 15 years or so.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some knee pain and swapped to speed plays and it went away. Problem is that the spd-sl have a lot of float, but they still have a preferential orientation, it slightly loads your knee to move away from center. Might not solve the problem, but just my n=1. Do they not make a 50mm steel spindle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regular Spedplay lets you move the cleats close enough to rub your shoes on the crankarm. Not sure if there's any benefit to the shorter spindles unless the shoes are super narrow.

What's the q factor of those cranks? 145? 155? Vision NS and Miche Pistard Air cranksets are 137mm, which should help. They're under $200. Then look at regular cro-mo Speedplay pedals and move the cleats out as far as you can without rubbing the crank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ben

You could also try these guys:

http://www.torontocycles.com/...als_Accessories.html

They do different spindles for a lot of different pedals.

If you’re thinking of swapping to Speedplays then you could get the standard steel ones and see if it helps then swap the spindles for the titanium shirt ones from these guys.

Cheers

Phil
Quote Reply
Re: How to reduce q-factor (without breaking the bank)? [Phil Hodson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil Hodson wrote:
Hi Ben

You could also try these guys:

http://www.torontocycles.com/...als_Accessories.html

They do different spindles for a lot of different pedals.

If you’re thinking of swapping to Speedplays then you could get the standard steel ones and see if it helps then swap the spindles for the titanium shirt ones from these guys.

Cheers

Phil

Ok, I got lost on that website for a while!

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could move your cleats towards the lateral edge of your shoes which would move your foot medially.
You could get speedplays and install shorter spindles. IIRC 53mm is standard and I know they come in 50mm and maybe a shorter spindle even. You may have to worry about shoes rubbing on the cranks though

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
So my wife has had some inside knee pain pop up on one leg over the past week. While there are probably a number of things that this could be attributed to, the most likely seems to be a "wide" stance compared to the natural vertical line of the legs. As I observed her, it definitely does seem like her knees have to come in as she has fairly narrow hips. Cleats are already slammed all the way to the outside. GXP cranks with a quarq. Cheap spd-sl pedals. I know we could drop a few mm on each side there but thats where it can get kind of expensive and I'd be surprised if that 10mm or so was enough. Are we going to have to go with a different crankset/BB standard? The frame is a PF30. That would really be the last thing we'd want to do as the cranks have a Quarq so we'd have to find a different power meter as well.

I'm already looking for narrower pedals, but is there anything else that can be done?

You have zero evidence that stance width is the cause of the problem.
Especially if she has been pain free before without that consideration.
I would be checking cleats for wear or a shift in location before anything else as these are the things that may have changed.
Has the seat position slipped or been changed?
Is the cause totally unrelated to biking? Has she taken up new activity or dramatically increased one?
Quote Reply