Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My Zwift questions as a new user
Quote | Reply
Hello All -

After a few seasons on Sufferfest, I decided to join the SlowZwift community this year. I've got a few questions on the interface that I couldn't find answers to with a search ( and I always figure if I'm scratching my head, others are too, so this is for group benefits).

( BTW - I'm missing the great soundtracks from Sufferfest enough I'm thinking about going back...)

I use a Kicker with cadence and HR sensors on an iPad with the Companion app on my phone

Drafting - I see my avatar go from a tuck to bartops and I know I'm in the draft, right? is there more to staying in than just moderating my power/speed? I can't seem to stay behind a solo rider for more than a few secs - are there other tricks??

Where am I? is there a place on the map to show you the segment/location name? I see the road signs saying Titan's Grove or Big Ben, but I'm not always sure where I am exactly. In a similar vein, is there a way to find out what some of the interesting elements are in the World?

Thumbs Up - all for me? I see a fair number of 'Thumb's Up' on passing riders - are those given to me ( do I only see the ones meant for me?) or are they people who have received a thumb?

Music & other apps: There is no soundtrack in Zwift beyond the roadnoise and interval chimes, right? When I change my playlist, I haven't found a way to 'stay' in the game in a minimized window and browse my music, is there a way to do that?

Thanks for any replies or other tips to enjoy the world(s)

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: My Zwift questions as a new user [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kinda have the same issue with the drafting thing. Is annoying as hell in an actual race event. I was thinking it was my wifi lag for me, but not confirmed yet.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drafting - I see my avatar go from a tuck to bartops and I know I'm in the draft, right? is there more to staying in than just moderating my power/speed? I can't seem to stay behind a solo rider for more than a few secs - are there other tricks?? Only works on road bikes (not TT). Lasts up to 5m, but closer is better. Plays a huge roll in races, you'll get the hang of it.

Where am I? is there a place on the map to show you the segment/location name? I see the road signs saying Titan's Grove or Big Ben, but I'm not always sure where I am exactly. In a similar vein, is there a way to find out what some of the interesting elements are in the World? You can zoom in/out on the upper right portion of the screen by tapping it, location is also available in the companion app. It's a little confusing til you get used to the courses

Thumbs Up - all for me? I see a fair number of 'Thumb's Up' on passing riders - are those given to me ( do I only see the ones meant for me?) or are they people who have received a thumb? Sadly not all for you. You see other people receiving "ride on" too.

Music & other apps: There is no soundtrack in Zwift beyond the roadnoise and interval chimes, right? When I change my playlist, I haven't found a way to 'stay' in the game in a minimized window and browse my music, is there a way to do that? This is going to be device specific. No great way if running it on an iphone/ipad. I just play music from a device that isn't streaming the game. You can switch between game/browsers on a laptop though.
Quote Reply
Re: My Zwift questions as a new user [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good practice for the drafting without the pressure and frustration of working alone is to join a team time trial group or just a smaller group ride. There, your group is at the mercy of each other nailing the draft to succeed. Not trying to all win separately.

So, there's a motivating factor to get it right.

A couple TTT's and you'll have it.
Quote Reply