Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Online Medical Services
Quote | Reply
This marketplace seems to be heating up.

"Video visits with a doctor are a cheap and quick way to get a medical opinion (and sometimes a prescription) without leaving the house. But the doctor can’t physically examine you, which limits their usefulness. A $300 kit of digital medical devices looks looks like it could change that.

The kit is from TytoCare and is sold in Best Buy stores and online. It includes a device with cameras and sensors, including a thermometer, and three attachments: a digital stethoscope to listen to heart and lung sounds, an otoscope to look in your ears, and a tongue depressor to allow the camera to see the back of your throat.

The company says their doctors can diagnose “ear infections, sore throats, fever, cold and flu, allergies, pink eye, nausea, constipation, asthma, bronchitis, upper respiratory infections, bug bites, and common skin conditions, including contact dermatitis, rash, and diaper rash.” Regular telehealth services can do most of these as well, but the kit can give doctors a better look at, say, what your sore throat actually looks like.

Then there is MeMD;

MeMD delivers medical and therapy visits to 4.5 million members nationwide over the computer, phone or mobile device. We are known for our technologically advanced platform, adaptability and high-quality care. Operated by a team of diverse, highly skilled professionals with proven track records in healthcare leadership, innovation, IT and operations, we have staked a reputation as an industry innovator that provides businesses with the most flexible and user-friendly medical and teletherapy services available."
​

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Online Medical Services [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No blood pressure? Given nearly half the country has high blood pressure, that's a massive hole. Also blood sugar.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 18, 19 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the big question will be, do doctors provide the same accuracy and quality of care in person vs through a screen? I’m sure 5-10 years from now there will be cohort studies comparing the two groups (misdiagnoses, patient satisfaction, outcomes, etc)

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice- keep sick people away from other people. Who wants to go to urgent care and get pink eye from the chair arm?

There are a lot of contagious things that are really not that hard to diagnose.

I was annoyed that our pediatrician could not give us pink eye meds when my daughter was young and we had to go see our doctor too- both my husband any I. Seems there should just be a family pack prescription.
Quote Reply
Re: Online Medical Services [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
I think the big question will be, do doctors provide the same accuracy and quality of care in person vs through a screen? I’m sure 5-10 years from now there will be cohort studies comparing the two groups (misdiagnoses, patient satisfaction, outcomes, etc)

There are several such RCTs and pragmatic trials underway already. Heck, I'm an investigator on an R01 with NCI, where we're using virtual doctors (albeit not for dx, but to encourage screening, so mostly patient education).
Quote Reply
Re: Online Medical Services [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Chemist wrote:

There are several such RCTs and pragmatic trials underway already. Heck, I'm an investigator on an R01 with NCI, where we're using virtual doctors (albeit not for dx, but to encourage screening, so mostly patient education).

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems another option would be to have a clinic with personnel to administer the simpler diagnostic and other tests and have the MD offsite. Similar to the way it works today, where someone else weighs, takes temp, blood pressure, etc., before the doctor sees you, with the exception that the doctor will then see and complete the exam via video.
Quote Reply
Re: Online Medical Services [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Nice- keep sick people away from other people. Who wants to go to urgent care and get pink eye from the chair arm?

There are a lot of contagious things that are really not that hard to diagnose.

I was annoyed that our pediatrician could not give us pink eye meds when my daughter was young and we had to go see our doctor too- both my husband any I. Seems there should just be a family pack prescription.

Do you not have access to polysporin eye drops? Check your local drug store. They make some that work A+ for pinkeye.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I convinced my daughter to do an online Dr. Visit (hosted by our insurance.. wait for it). She agree to do it to make Dad happy.. She had just flown in from the east coast, had had a swollen ankle before, but now her lower leg was VERY swollen. She does the web visit, with the computer camera he can see her leg. He tells her to go the ER ASAP (dahh, but she would not listen to dad) so then she tell's me he said to see a dr sometime but its not urgent.. she makes the mistake of sending me the email write up.. and it says GO to ER ASAP.. convince her to go to the ER.. they checked no blood clot or DVT .. a few weeks later,, Insurance denies ER charges as it wasn't an emergency.. Took several months and many phone calls, to convince them she went cause THEIR Dr. (yeah I know not theirs but it was their online service) told her to go ASAP... they literally told me, one time, that was a seperate charge / visit and doesn't impact this.. UGHHH.

Anyhow that is my one experience (FYI my daughter is away at college so it was all email / text )

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply