Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best way to repair long tear in wetsuit at the calf area?
Quote | Reply
I was putting on my DeSoto T1 wetsuit yesterday morning and a giant slice started opening across the back of the left calf. It's not a moving joint and the rest of the suit is in awesome shape, so I'm hoping to repair it and keep rockin' my favorite wetsuit. Anybody know the best repair method for a tear like this?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to repair long tear in wetsuit at the calf area? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've sewn up holes in a wetsuit using dental floss on a large needle and then put 'goo' over the hack sewing job. Doing this got a wetsuit through one more season.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to repair long tear in wetsuit at the calf area? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like the wetsuit material is compromised. Who's to say it won't do the same on the other calf or on the arms on race day?

How old is this wetsuit?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i fixed my rip in the crotch area about 5 years ago with shoe glue and it is still holding solid. Also i think Desoto would be happy to fix it as well if you have the time which i did not as it was the day before the race.

I also have taken Emilio's advice and soak the wetsuit a few days before the first use and it has been solid since starting that procedure.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to repair long tear in wetsuit at the calf area? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a few years old, but doesn't get much use. I'm thinking the problem is less the material and more that somebody yanked on it with their fingernails. I didn't do that, but I've made the mistake of letting wetsuit strippers at races pull it off and they get overzealous and careless. I've learned since then that if you like your wetsuit, take it off yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Aquaseal a few times to repair tears and other acts of my clumsiness in my old (and first) wetsuilt. If the fabric underneath is sound, then I would use Aquaseal to repair a long tear in the rubber.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XUMBIA/

I made a big mess a couple of times, so I would take a little extra prep time to do a better job on a major tear. I would
  1. Mask the area along the tear to prevent glue from dripping or smearing anywhere else.
  2. Put it on a flat area so the cut is stable on its own (won't move after you are done applying glue)
  3. Put wax paper inside to prevent glue from seeping out and gluing the leg together from the inside
  4. Apply glue, remove any excess, then remove the masking tape before it all dries
That should give you a smooth and blended result.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 4, 19 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the rip is below the knee? Just cut off the ripped portion and keep using it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to repair long tear in wetsuit at the calf area? [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
the rip is below the knee? Just cut off the ripped portion and keep using it.

How dare you. You are risking the hate and smite of The Marginal Gains Cult when they hear you've violated rule 342 b: Higher feet via flotation = faster swimming
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I was putting on my DeSoto T1 wetsuit yesterday morning and a giant slice started opening across the back of the left calf. It's not a moving joint and the rest of the suit is in awesome shape, so I'm hoping to repair it and keep rockin' my favorite wetsuit. Anybody know the best repair method for a tear like this?

For big rips, and if you have time, then send to
Express Wetsuit Repair
She's excellent, and fast.
PM me if you need more details.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Use aquaseal wetsuit cement.
Open the tear, apply, keep tear open, let it get tacky, repeat the process, close. Turn wetsuit inside out for 24 hours.
You could get plenty more use if the tear wasn't due to the rubber failing- I.e. if it was a nail that caused it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to repair long tear in wetsuit at the calf area? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Open the tear, apply, keep tear open, let it get tacky, repeat the process, close. Turn wetsuit inside out for 24 hours.
You could get plenty more use if the tear wasn't due to the rubber failing- I.e. if it was a nail that caused it.

Aquaseal, then ironmend on the inside jersey fabric to take stress off the area.

Lots of surf shops can also do the repair.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to repair long tear in wetsuit at the calf area? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
NAB777 wrote:

Aquaseal, then ironmend on the inside jersey fabric to take stress off the area.

Lots of surf shops can also do the repair.

I looked up that Ironmend stuff and that's exactly the missing link that I need . Thanks!
Quote Reply