Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have you ever washed out in a turn on dry good pavement?
Quote | Reply
We’ve all gone down in a turn with water or gravel in it, but on good dry pavement have you ever gone down ?

I lost it once in a crit but to this day I think that was due to a bad glue job on a tubular tire. It was partially off after the crash.

This leads to the question of how far you can lean a bike at speed with the new norm 25mm wide road tires. It seems like it would take way more speed and angle than I would dare.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever washed out in a turn on dry good pavement? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are Petr Sagan:

Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever washed out in a turn on dry good pavement? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lost it pretty hard before crossing a street car track at an optimistic angle and the wheel instantly had zero traction but so far knock on wood haven't gone sideways on a dry day (rain yes and took a few weeks to heal up on that one).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cadel Evans

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No; but what limits my lean in hard corners is the possibility that there may be the errant dusting of gravel, a few twigs, or some irregularity in the road surface.

It does seem like we can definitely corner harder on modern equipment. The bigger/softer tires have a wider contact patch than the 140psi, 20mm tires of old; and the frames are much stiffer. When I got my full carbon BMC a few years ago, I was amazed how much better it cornered than my old aluminum frame. On a downhill corner on one of my go to rides I was instantly exiting the turn 1km/hr faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I-daSkd62E

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Nov 3, 19 21:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
// an old pro [from the 60ies] explained to me [in the 80ies] .. just make it feel like going straight [and take care of the tires] //

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, my first crash starting cycling in 2004 as an adult. I had just got my first road bike and was following a friend and veteran cyclist. He took a 90 turn at an intersection fast and not knowing my lack of skills I tried it too and went down hard on my left hip. Lots of road rash and a hematoma that had to be drained. Not only did I have a severe lack of skills but the bike, Felt F45, came with extremely cheap Hutchison tires that were slick. Never used cheap tires again, but certainly have had some other severe crashes after that one for other reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furthest I've ever leaned a bike was touching the asphalt with my shoe, pedal up. Pulled the bike back up and made it out of the turn without hitting the deck.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Badly. Slid out on a smashed Mountain Dew Can in a usually clean corner.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever washed out in a turn on dry good pavement? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Furthest I've ever leaned a bike was touching the asphalt with my shoe, pedal up. Pulled the bike back up and made it out of the turn without hitting the deck.

Wow, but was that turn banked at all
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever washed out in a turn on dry good pavement? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
tessar wrote:

Wow, but was that turn banked at all

No, it was a slighly off-camber roundabout. I leaned about as much as I usually do, but the asphalt came up higher than usual. Rear wheel actually lost touch with the ground for a second as weight shifted onto the shoe - I'm still not entirely clear how I made it out of that one without crashing.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

But, I’ve slid out and caught it a few times, avoiding falling.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On dry Asphalt, yes, several times in crits (always managed to save it and keep it upright), a few times from flatting, and a few times from over leaning (generally when someone is doing something boneheaded around me (usually it's diving in...) and I have to make a late adjustment to my line/body position coming into a corner...), otherwise it's usually in wet conditions or in cyclocross (again I am usually good at catching myself and staying upright, although most hilariously my first time racing tubs, I took a 110degree downhill corner in freezing rain at about 60km/h, running 165 PSI, sketched like crazy, nearly crapped my pants, but kept it upright...).

If you partially roll a tubular, best practice is usually to fully remove it and then re-glue it (to make sure you have an even coat on the tire and rim) otherwise your odds of re-rolling, or of tire shifting increase...
Quote Reply