Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Speedmax Feedback. Particularly NA customers.
Quote | Reply
I’m down to the last couple on the list that will fit me. Both brands are foreign to me. So I’m looking for some feedback. Both positive and negative. I’m specifically looking at Speedmax CF 8.0. But I’m looking for any and all feedback and experiences with the bikes themselves and the Customer service/parts/warranty. Thanks in advance guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Feedback. Particularly NA customers. [mpkellyjunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpkellyjunior wrote:
I’m down to the last couple on the list that will fit me. Both brands are foreign to me. So I’m looking for some feedback. Both positive and negative. I’m specifically looking at Speedmax CF 8.0. But I’m looking for any and all feedback and experiences with the bikes themselves and the Customer service/parts/warranty. Thanks in advance guys.
I have 3 Canyons - a Speedmax 7.0; an Aeroad and an Exceed. I started with the aeroad when it was time to replace my road bike and the aeroad is amazing, with a perfect balance of stiffness and comfort and handling (I do bike racing). I was so happy with it that when I replaced my old MTB I got an Exceed and that bike has also been awesome. Now I recently got a Speedmax 7.0 which I mainly used for the frame. See https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7051383#p7051383 .

I've never had to deal with Canyon customer service for problems (I haven't had any with any of my bikes) but have had to call them to order replacement parts. A longer stem for the aeroad than the stock one, and an upgrade kit to install a dropper post on the MTB. They're very friendly, to-the-point, and ship same day or the following day. Oh my Exceed didn't come with the shock pump that was supposed to be included, I called them and they did not have any in inventory so they told me to buy it on Amazon and send them the receipt and they would refund me (which they did). From my side, only positive experiences with the equipment as well as the service.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Feedback. Particularly NA customers. [mpkellyjunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am looking at the CF 8.0 (LTD version for me). I already have race wheels, so can sell the ones that come on the bike to defray cost a bit. I'd like to hear from a few other folks in regards to experience with Canyon.

I am on Team Zoot, and Canyon is a 'sponsor' - we get a slight discount. I've only heard good things from those teammates who have purchased one of their bikes.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Speedmax CF since April 2018 and love it.

I had an issue with a cracked base bar within the first month of owning it (which in hindsight was probably my own fault, the stem torgue pattern is not the normal x pattern); I emailed Canyon NA and had a response and replacement in the mail within a week free of charge.

The only area of potential caution is if you rely on an LBS for service, some shops take a stance on servicing Canyons. There is another thread on here on that topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a really bad experience with their service. Received a bike, didnt fit well, and returned it. Was promised a refund and 5 months later....nothing. Constant follow up on email during the 5 months and not even a reply. Anyone know how I can be "heard"
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Feedback. Particularly NA customers. [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BevK wrote:
....The only area of potential caution is if you rely on an LBS for service, some shops take a stance on servicing Canyons. There is another thread on here on that topic.
I take a stance on LBS' that take issue with servicing Canyons unless they take the same approach for every other bike they don't sell you. And that's to boycott the LBS. If they only service bikes they sold you, that's one thing, but I think it's fairly indefensible to refuse to service a specific brand as a means of putting people off buying them. I've heard some arguments about spares availability, but frankly they strike me as excuses, not reasons. It's far harder to source spares for many other bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a top of the line Speedmax SLX.

Didn’t like the handling (short wheelbase and long chain stays left the rear feeling vague and the front feeling squirrelly). The geometry is weird on the SLX. The CF might be better but it’s also less aero/integrated.

It was near impossible to get small replacement parts. Customer service wasn’t very helpful. Felt like dealing with a “startup” company.

Sold it. Bought a PR6. Much happier.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Feedback. Particularly NA customers. [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I had a top of the line Speedmax SLX.

Didn’t like the handling (short wheelbase and long chain stays left the rear feeling vague and the front feeling squirrelly). The geometry is weird on the SLX. The CF might be better but it’s also less aero/integrated.

It was near impossible to get small replacement parts. Customer service wasn’t very helpful. Felt like dealing with a “startup” company.

Sold it. Bought a PR6. Much happier.

Your data is wrong on the wheelbase. I spent a considerable amount of time investigating the QR and Canyon before buying.

I have both a 2019 CF and a 2020 CF SLX. I also looked at the PR6 (it was on my shortlist). The wheelbase of the PR6 was actually SHORTER. My size in all 3 (QR is 56 and Canyon is L). The QR wheelbase was 1031 on the PR6, 1037mm on the CF and 1051mm on the CF SLX. Yes, the chainstay is 25mm shorter on the PR6 over both the Speedmax CF and top of line Speedmax CF SLX. If anything, the longer chainstay should provide more stability and the shorter a more aggressive feeling turn-in, but then again, ride quality is user taste dependent. For me, the CF rides more plush and easy to ride for a less flexible rider but the CF is not an aggressive aero bike like the CF SLX which feels like a rocket ship when I jump on it. Oddly enough, the more aggressive setup actually feels a tick more comfortable over the long distance than the CF. It just takes some training to get used to it.

As far as parts, a quick phone call to Canyon and I have been able to get everything I needed. I agree though, you can't get a single small part typically, but instead they will send you the assembly that part goes with. For example, my aerobar extention locking screws had 1 of the 4 missing on delivery and they were not able to send the 1 screw and instead sent me the entire armpad assembly so now I have an extra set of arm pads, arm plates, aero extension locking plates, bolts, risers and cover plate. I'd say that's a win for the customer when it's covered under warranty.

Startup? That's a little harsh but yes, the sales line reps have very little knowledge of the technical side and typically would have to talk to a bike technician and then get back to me with what I need. Not a big deal though.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Feedback. Particularly NA customers. [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant short front center. Which contributes to the squirrelly handling I experienced. It’s meant to feel agile. I found it squirrelly. The long chain stays to me made rear feel vague. It’s a very weird geometry. If you look at the ratio of wheelbase to front center you will see what I mean. It has one of the lowest ratios of any bike I looked at (short front center relative to wheel base).

When I needed parts such as the rear cage mount and an extra front hydration system I had to order them from Germany and forward them to USA using a sketchy forwarding service. The customs paperwork was a nightmare and it doubled the cost to say nothing of the hassles. US reps had no ability to forecast availability and after months of waiting I gave up.

I had an Ultimate SLX also and sold it. Never liked the bike and after being unable to order a replacement front cockpit to get the fit right (the size I wanted was out of stock) I gave up.

Canyon bikes are a good price but in my experience not worth the hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Feedback. Particularly NA customers. [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I meant short front center. Which contributes to the squirrelly handling I experienced. It’s meant to feel agile. I found it squirrelly. The long chain stays to me made rear feel vague. It’s a very weird geometry. If you look at the ratio of wheelbase to front center you will see what I mean. It has one of the lowest ratios of any bike I looked at (short front center relative to wheel base).

When I needed parts such as the rear cage mount and an extra front hydration system I had to order them from Germany and forward them to USA using a sketchy forwarding service. The customs paperwork was a nightmare and it doubled the cost to say nothing of the hassles. US reps had no ability to forecast availability and after months of waiting I gave up.

I had an Ultimate SLX also and sold it. Never liked the bike and after being unable to order a replacement front cockpit to get the fit right (the size I wanted was out of stock) I gave up.

Canyon bikes are a good price but in my experience not worth the hassle.

That sucks that your experience was so bad but glad you found what you needed in QR. It's a great rig and was #2 on my list. I almost went QR when it took forever to get my CF SLX. As I said, I've never experience the trouble you have and got several of the rear cage mounts no problem calling them directly and they shipped same day to me in 2 days. Never had to get anything from Europe.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Feedback. Particularly NA customers. [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve heard they’ve improved customer support and parts availability quite a bit. Also glad the SLX worked out for you. I wanted to love it. It was beautiful and very fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I’ve heard they’ve improved customer support and parts availability quite a bit. Also glad the SLX worked out for you. I wanted to love it. It was beautiful and very fast.

Thanks. If only they had some of the color options like QR :(

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply