Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

setting up road bike for extra low gearing
Quote | Reply
 Looking for advice on some good options for a rear derailleur to handle big rear cassette with 2x road set up.

Specifically, want to put 46/30 front crank with 36 to 40t rear cassette. Finding a 46/30 crank is easy but not sure what rear derailleur/shifters would work with this set up (which is not for tri btw!).
Quote Reply
Re: setting up road bike for extra low gearing [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use a MTB rear derailleur?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A long cage R8000 or R7000 (I think they actually call it a mid cage) is rated to 34 tooth cassette but I've used it up to a 40 tooth.

I used an 11-36 SRAM cassette with the R8000 long cage at Triple T this year with a 52/34 chainrings with no issues. You just need to make sure you have enough chain to go big/big without problems
I've tried 11-40 M8000 cassette with the R8000 long cage and 52/36 chainrings on my road bike but didn't do extended riding with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't mention brand, but both Shimano and Sram have long-cage rear derailleurs that handle (I believe) up to 36-tooth cassettes and as mentioned previously a MTB derailleur can go up to a 50-tooth.
Quote Reply
Re: setting up road bike for extra low gearing [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
A long cage R8000 or R7000 (I think they actually call it a mid cage) is rated to 34 tooth cassette but I've used it up to a 40 tooth.

I used an 11-36 SRAM cassette with the R8000 long cage at Triple T this year with a 52/34 chainrings with no issues. You just need to make sure you have enough chain to go big/big without problems
I've tried 11-40 M8000 cassette with the R8000 long cage and 52/36 chainrings on my road bike but didn't do extended riding with it.

And here I derail the conversation....

How was the new TTT course in comparison to the old one? I had to cancel this year but passed the registration to 2020. Bike and run course. Easier? Harder? Same?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The easy-button is a Wolf Tooth Road Link and any late model Ultegra or 105 long cage derailleur. You can easily run a 40T rear cog.....as long as you're conscious to never go big-big.

Off-the-wall suggestion, that's wide range and very inexpensive, is the Microshift Advent Group. It's rated for an 11-42 rear cassette and 47t overall, meaning it will work in a 2x configuration with up to 16T differential between big and small ring. Only 9 cogs, though. And it looks like you have to go off-series for the left brifter.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 25, 19 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: setting up road bike for extra low gearing [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shorter, steeper, more frequent climbs. Overall it was harder.

Race 1
https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/3702626820

Race 2 and 3
https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/3704956798

Race 4
https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/3709158291
Last edited by: jaretj: Oct 25, 19 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently running a SRAM GX2.1 RD, Rival shifters and 36T cassette on my gravel bike, works flawlessly with no hanger extender etc needed. Thinking about going to a 40 or 42T cassette next, hoping it will work as well without too much hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: setting up road bike for extra low gearing [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, will check it out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I and my wife use this for 70.3's with climbs over 20% max.Shifting is perfect.Front must be mechanical-any ultegra 11 speed and the rear must be XTR DI2 long cage .Front is 46/30 and rear is 11/46(YES46) This hybrid system is the BEST!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look into Shimano's new gravel stuff. GRX.
Quote Reply
Re: setting up road bike for extra low gearing [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
The easy-button is a Wolf Tooth Road Link and any late model Ultegra or 105 long cage derailleur. You can easily run a 40T rear cog.....as long as you're conscious to never go big-big.

Off-the-wall suggestion, that's wide range and very inexpensive, is the Microshift Advent Group. It's rated for an 11-42 rear cassette and 47t overall, meaning it will work in a 2x configuration with up to 16T differential between big and small ring. Only 9 cogs, though. And it looks like you have to go off-series for the left brifter.

I'm using the long cage microshift clutch 10 speed along with their matching bar end shifter on my cross bike with a pretty big rear cluster (36 or something) on one wheel. It works well for reducing chain slap, it shifts a little like a dump truck but i'm using it in friction mode so I can throw in 8 or 9 speed wheels and use up my older equipment. The RD is quite heavy, if you care about that.

The wolftooth is an elegant solution, we use it on some of the junior bikes and it allows for big cogs without having to buy new equipment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live north of Houston - no mountains - and every few years go to Europe to do weeklong climbing rides (eg 40-50000 feet) and steep stuff like +15% at times. I usually run a 10spd Shimano Ultegra with SRAM force compact crank and 11-28 cassette on all my wheels for US trips. When I go overseas I have the rear derailleur changed to a MTB (Shimano Altus) and have a 34 on the cassette. Works like a champ and has gotten me over many iconic climbs. Hope that helps.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: setting up road bike for extra low gearing [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply