Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great as a customer / visitor. Probably not so good as an investor. If you were Bezos or Gates wealthy and you were wanting this as a labor of love and for your friends to train, would be cool. If you want to be profitable might take years or never.

Is LA the best place for something like this? Land acquisition would be through the roof I would think.
Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
This whole thread reminds of the "Fuck you Money" thread we had in the Lavender Room. This is the pet project of someone that donates hundreds of millions a year to whatever the hell he wants...see Phil Knight and his open checkbook to Oregon...or just look at Nike's campus and the facilities they host Bowerman TC at. You're talking about a miniature Olympic Training Center, and your idea is to put it within what distance of LAX? Any land that isn't developed within 45 minutes of LAX is either a mountain and cost prohibitive. I'm guessing the idea is major airport and consistent weather. Ventura County is probably your best bet, perhaps just at Dan's ranch...but man that is a rough location when it comes what you will have to pay for land and then the construction costs of building in California. Basically for decent land prices you're out in the desert, and if you're out in the desert you may as well build this in Tucson.

But hey, if can sell it to foreign capital and get 500 Million. Bulldoze some houses and build this thang.

Yeah the proximity to LA and the terrain around there is something to consider.

Ventura County seems like it might work.

As mich as I think this is a stupid business idea

It actually is something I would pay for lol

Come to think of it I would probably just stay til all my money ran out lol

Did something sort of similar way back in 1988 at the Olympic training center in upstate NY

Was chosen for a 1 week camp with the actual Olympic coaches by Bicycling magazine. If memory serves me correctly it was based upon a 25 word essay and not so much cycling ability

It was awesome. Maybe not 24 hour food but from around 6 AM to 10 PM the cafeteria was open. Daily rides on all but abandoned roads with the coaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
Great as a customer / visitor. Probably not so good as an investor. If you were Bezos or Gates wealthy and you were wanting this as a labor of love and for your friends to train, would be cool. If you want to be profitable might take years or never.

Is LA the best place for something like this? Land acquisition would be through the roof I would think.

Yeah it seems I’m going to have to seek out lots of grants somehow.

Land acquisition costs are scaring me. Just the development of the terrain if it wasn’t as flat as other places could be an issue. I would really prefer within 2hrs of LA though, so possibly more south where the real estate is slightly cheaper. I’m very drawn to the sheer number of people in the LA area and their ability to take a day trip to train. 2hrs is doable on a Saturday or Sunday to travel back and forth as seen by all the Skiers and Snowboarders driving 2hrs to Bear Mountain for the day.

I’m not 100% sold on LA as a location as it eventually has to make financial sense in a profitability model, but would prefer it there.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Oct 27, 19 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
plant_based wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
This whole thread reminds of the "Fuck you Money" thread we had in the Lavender Room. This is the pet project of someone that donates hundreds of millions a year to whatever the hell he wants...see Phil Knight and his open checkbook to Oregon...or just look at Nike's campus and the facilities they host Bowerman TC at. You're talking about a miniature Olympic Training Center, and your idea is to put it within what distance of LAX? Any land that isn't developed within 45 minutes of LAX is either a mountain and cost prohibitive. I'm guessing the idea is major airport and consistent weather. Ventura County is probably your best bet, perhaps just at Dan's ranch...but man that is a rough location when it comes what you will have to pay for land and then the construction costs of building in California. Basically for decent land prices you're out in the desert, and if you're out in the desert you may as well build this in Tucson.

But hey, if can sell it to foreign capital and get 500 Million. Bulldoze some houses and build this thang.

Did something sort of similar way back in 1988 at the Olympic training center in upstate NY

Was chosen for a 1 week camp with the actual Olympic coaches by Bicycling magazine. If memory serves me correctly it was based upon a 25 word essay and not so much cycling ability

It was awesome. Maybe not 24 hour food but from around 6 AM to 10 PM the cafeteria was open. Daily rides on all but abandoned roads with the coaches.

Sounds awesome!

Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

must have been 25 pretty great words
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
plant_based wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Sounds awesome!

Businesses succeed by solving a need. Look at the LONG thread with people wishing there were races with closed lanes

Hmmmm your business idea, maybe rent out the course for races OR Hold closed course races every month there. I bet people would travel a LONG way for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://blog.motorsportreg.com/...al-fees#.Xdc1jCVOmEc

I have wondered why more tris don’t rent out race tracks.

track without having to pay for corner workers is cheaper than I expected... probably cheaper than paying to close roads? But I have no idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
http://blog.motorsportreg.com/global-race-track-rental-fees#.Xdc1jCVOmEc

I have wondered why more tris don’t rent out race tracks.

track without having to pay for corner workers is cheaper than I expected... probably cheaper than paying to close roads? But I have no idea.

This is pretty cool - would be great for bike festivals at the track.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/...-resurgance/2257601/

Poorly written story, but it looks like there is a relatively new professional swim team in San Diego, with a juniors program.

I’m not sure what’s happening with the Olympic Training Center. It’s apparently been re-branded?
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Feb 5, 20 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The USOPC sold CVOTC to Chula Vista in late 2016. Chula Vista has taken over management of the facility and the CVEATC remains a training center for over 8 NGBs. From what I understand, the costs to NGBs went up significantly following the operations transfer.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
USOPC sold CVOTC to Chula Vista in late 2016. Chula Vista has taken over management of the facility and the CVEATC

Since the VP is such a VIP we better put his PC on the QT because if it gets out to he VC he might end up an MIA and them we might all end upon KP.
Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
USOPC sold CVOTC to Chula Vista in late 2016. Chula Vista has taken over management of the facility and the CVEATC

Since the VP is such a VIP we better put his PC on the QT because if it gets out to he VC he might end up an MIA and them we might all end upon KP.

That’s exactly what I was thinking!!
Quote Reply
Re: Would like to build large training center outside of LA - any tips / advice? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First thing that came to mind was it has to provide some tangible value other than fitness outcomes for the people renting the thing out.

Like, if they come:

-Zero setup or waiting, anything electronic or connected "just works" immediately. I'm thinking about the bikes, other equipment.

-Reduces the staffing cost of the teams or groups paying to come. Provides a benefit because you're not paying a bunch of team staff plus extras at your own DIY camp somewhere at a hotel in the mountains.

That's all I got. Interesting idea.

For times it isn't fully booked, I'd offer "drop in" passes on some kind of pay ahead rate. Like, buy XX passes for $XXX or XX+10 passes for $XXX+change. To supplement the downtime.
Quote Reply

Prev Next