Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Canadian election (yes windy, we elect our leader...) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems appropriate.

Quote | Reply
Alibabwa wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
dalava wrote:
The Cons never had a chance to begin with... the country voted almost 64% for progressive (Lib, NDP, Bloc, Green). They need to move to the middle socially, but that's where Lib is.

If the conservatives could be socially progressive I'd be much less wary of them being in power. A little personality in the party leader wouldn't hurt either.

This election likely would have been the Cons to take if they had an urban leader who is at least a social moderate. A western rural reformer mentality leader may always win Alberta but will never produce a majority government from the rest of the country. When you consider the bum's rush that Harper was given in the 2015 election, why did they run a clone in 2019. As long as that's lost to the Cons, I don't expect to see them in power for a long time. I'm wondering if the Cons will do a Joe Clark on Andrew Scheer and get rid of him. If they run him again in 2023, Scheer likely will become another Bob Stanfield as a two time bridesmaid.

I think a blue painted rock could win Alberta. From what I've been seeing on my linkedin feed, some people here are complaining that he was too progressive and has to go. But these are the same people screaming for separation.

Are they the same people blaming Newfoundland?

And for the people arguing for separation, do they think that being a land-locked country (because BC won't be going) will make their pipeline woes better?

Probably. It's entertaining reading for a bit, but it gets old quick. So I just scroll past their comments.

And I have no idea what they're think regarding separation. Not something I'm interested in so I don't pay any attention to the arguments. I believe there's a Facebook group or two dedicated to the subject if you want to see their opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: The Canadian election (yes windy, we elect our leader...) [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
Alibabwa wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
dalava wrote:
The Cons never had a chance to begin with... the country voted almost 64% for progressive (Lib, NDP, Bloc, Green). They need to move to the middle socially, but that's where Lib is.

If the conservatives could be socially progressive I'd be much less wary of them being in power. A little personality in the party leader wouldn't hurt either.

This election likely would have been the Cons to take if they had an urban leader who is at least a social moderate. A western rural reformer mentality leader may always win Alberta but will never produce a majority government from the rest of the country. When you consider the bum's rush that Harper was given in the 2015 election, why did they run a clone in 2019. As long as that's lost to the Cons, I don't expect to see them in power for a long time. I'm wondering if the Cons will do a Joe Clark on Andrew Scheer and get rid of him. If they run him again in 2023, Scheer likely will become another Bob Stanfield as a two time bridesmaid.

I think a blue painted rock could win Alberta. From what I've been seeing on my linkedin feed, some people here are complaining that he was too progressive and has to go. But these are the same people screaming for separation.

Are they the same people blaming Newfoundland?

And for the people arguing for separation, do they think that being a land-locked country (because BC won't be going) will make their pipeline woes better?

Probably. It's entertaining reading for a bit, but it gets old quick. So I just scroll past their comments.

And I have no idea what they're think regarding separation. Not something I'm interested in so I don't pay any attention to the arguments. I believe there's a Facebook group or two dedicated to the subject if you want to see their opinions.

A few people I know have been complaining about the invitations to join the "Wexit" facebook group. Luckily my friends list is well vetted and anyone who would ask is smart enough to know that's not my thing.

Today is budget day in Alberta. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like where we are headed.
Quote Reply
Re: The Canadian election (yes windy, we elect our leader...) [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, what do you think the new budget?

There are really 3 options: cut spending and programs, raise taxes, or a sensible combo of both. But we always knew what Kennedy will choose to do, didn't we. No wonder Albertans are pissed.
Quote Reply
Re: The Canadian election (yes windy, we elect our leader...) [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:

A few people I know have been complaining about the invitations to join the "Wexit" facebook group. Luckily my friends list is well vetted and anyone who would ask is smart enough to know that's not my thing.

Today is budget day in Alberta. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like where we are headed.

Fortunately, I'm not on Facebook so I don't get those invites. The only "social network" I belong to is LinkedIn and I keep my political opinions to myself there. Any disagreement with the mob mentality could hurt my chances of landing more work (I'm an engineer at an EPC doing O&G work). But it's always interesting to see how many obcessed people are in my network. I imagine Facebook would be much worse.

Yes, the budget is not going to be pretty. You work for the government, correct? I agree, you're not going to like what you see.
Quote Reply
Re: The Canadian election (yes windy, we elect our leader...) [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Well, what do you think the new budget?

There are really 3 options: cut spending and programs, raise taxes, or a sensible combo of both. But we always knew what Kennedy will choose to do, didn't we. No wonder Albertans are pissed.

Budget doesn't come down till this afternoon. They are saying it won't be Klein level cuts, but I'm not sure I agree.
Quote Reply
Re: The Canadian election (yes windy, we elect our leader...) [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I get it that it's been a bit of a rough go recently in Alberta. I have friends and family who live there and they tell me how bad it is. A good friend, who ran a marketing agency, with a number of clients in the oil and gas business, had to shut his business down, and lay off the staff - not a large number of people, but part of the knock-on effect of what's been going on.

Anyway, these people that are talking about separation, again, I sense the frustration, and I see it, but do they not realize that they will be WAY better off IN Canada than OUTSIDE Canada? Canada, time and again, is either ranked #1 in the world or close to it, in all those many world-wide polls and surveys, that look at Best-Place-To-Be rankings. We have it pretty good here in Canada - even better than in the U.S. and I know a great number of the most ardent Pro-Alberta anti-Canada types look south of the border, and think the USA is great (MAGA and all that). Make no mistake, the US is a GREAT country, with lots to offer, but why does it almost always rank FAR behind Canada in all of those polls and surveys that I just noted?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next