Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping?
Quote | Reply
Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping?

I've used them since february and 90% indoor. I don't know if it's skipping front or back.

Chain and cassette is new. Chain skipping on both small and big ring.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Last edited by: teinvall: Oct 19, 19 4:12
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Personal best:
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue. I my case it was my big chain ring. The teeth had worn and became a bit hooked. It would hang on to the chain then release. I had just switched to a new chain when it started. Worn chain and chainrings were ok. New chain and worn chainrings were not. Changed those out and I was fine.

I think my chainrings had about 35k on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big, yes it's trash.
Little, not so bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn’t think he would wear out a chainring in 9 months.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rings have Done a total of 4700km indoor and 600km outdoor. I’m so surprised that they could be finished already

Personal best:
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion is based strictly on the wear I see on the teeth. I didn't even consider how many Km on them.

I do agree that is a low amount of riding to produce that much wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly a worn chain will wear out the chainrings (and cassette) more quickly, so it's worth replacing the chain before it gets too bad - there's a bunch of chain checking tools you can get pretty cheaply which help. Cleaning your chain regularly will help prolong the life, so distance ridden can be hugely variable depending on if you ride in the wet or not, and how often you clean your chain (and what lube you use).

Sounds like your old worn chain had worn your chainrings so they matched each other if that makes sense, so now they won't match a new chain.

Biggest ring looks worse, but if it slips on the smaller ring you'll prob need to replace that too. Maybe worth setting up on a wind trainer (wheel in if you have one) and getting someone to see if the chain is slipping on the cassette too. It might be that you need cassette and chain rings if your chain was that worn...
Last edited by: quintana who: Oct 20, 19 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That big ring is ugly indeed. I've got a DA 9100 crank with well over 30,000 miles on it still going awesome. I wonder if some of the issue is the oval ring?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know there are a lot of visual indications that the big ring is in bad shape. But what confuses me is that this is how they look new:

I have sent the pictures to Osymetric as well. I had a set on my old bike for four years with out issues.

I probably ride my chains way less then they are intended, just to be sure to keep wear down. And always clean the chain in multiple baths of denatured alcohol and mineral spirits. And I always run squirt lube.

Personal best:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible you have a tight link in the chain, or possibly put the quick link together the wrong way (if using wipperman for example)?

Does it skip no matter which gear you are in on the cassette?
Hard to believe it is the chainrings, especially since both started doing it at the same time. Something related to the chain or chain line me thinks.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 21, 19 6:24
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally rings just don't skip.
They will creak and make motor noises that sends the owner in to fix it mode long before.
They simply have too many teeth engaged at any time to slip.
You will feel a worn ring with a new chain many thousands of km before it would skip.
I have never actually seen a worn chain ring skip, shitty running has driven the owner to replace long before.
Generally it is the cassette that will skip, so I would be checking for tight links.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have worn a 53t ring enough to skip, but that was at about 50,000 miles

I vote bad link connection or stiff link
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a quick link? If installed backwards it will work, but will skip under load
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
They will creak and make motor noises that sends the owner in to fix it mode long before.
You will feel a worn ring with a new chain many thousands of km before it would skip.
I have never actually seen a worn chain ring skip, shitty running has driven the owner to replace long before.
Generally it is the cassette that will skip, so I would be checking for tight links.

A worn chain ring will absolutely cause a chain to ship if you put high force into the pedals. You'll most likely notice it when sprinting or drilling it up a hill, and if it's bad enough, from a stop, when you put that initial torque into the chain it can and will ship. I've been going through a big ring about once every two years since focusing solely on riding and that's with regularly changing chains and cassettes. And honestly, I never noticed any issues with the rings or how the bike rode up until the point where it started shipping.

I am however a bit surprised that you're shipping it on the little ring too. I've never worn out one of those and you generally aren't putting through the kind of torque/force when in the little ring. So while I would say yes, consider it a worn ring, the fact that it's skipping in both seems odd. But if you've replaced both the chain and the cassette, the ring is the next logical step.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this chainring worn out and the reason for my chain skipping? [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ziggie204 wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

A worn chain ring will absolutely cause a chain to ship if you put high force into the pedals. You'll most likely notice it when sprinting or drilling it up a hill, and if it's bad enough, from a stop, when you put that initial torque into the chain it can and will ship. I've been going through a big ring about once every two years since focusing solely on riding and that's with regularly changing chains and cassettes. And honestly, I never noticed any issues with the rings or how the bike rode up until the point where it started shipping.

I am however a bit surprised that you're shipping it on the little ring too. I've never worn out one of those and you generally aren't putting through the kind of torque/force when in the little ring. So while I would say yes, consider it a worn ring, the fact that it's skipping in both seems odd. But if you've replaced both the chain and the cassette, the ring is the next logical step.

If you change your chains at the proper interval most people will never wear out a chainring.
You are doing something very wrong.
Quote Reply