Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ongoing debate regarding carbon stays...
Quote | Reply
This issue has been kicked around but... What is the logic behind negative threads aimed at carbon stayed bikes, versus theory behind carbon forks? Why do the universally positive ride characteristics of carbon in the front not translate into the same for rear?
Quote Reply
Re: Ongoing debate regarding carbon stays... [chicagonative] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carbon seat stays have the nasty habit of shattering, carbon forks do not. This has to do with the nature of carbon, probably something to do with the directional nature of its strength.
Quote Reply
Re: Ongoing debate regarding carbon stays... [apolack1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"carbon seat stays have the nasty habit of shattering"

Why do you say that?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A carbon fork blade is not rigidly fixed to the chainstay like a seatstay is.

Also note that carbon forks have the advantage of being lighter and more aero than most steel or aluminum offerings. Carbon stays haven't been shown to be any more aerodynamic and they tend to weigh MORE.

There isn't naything particularly awful about carbon seatstays. They just cost more and offer no advantages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The carbon and aluminum isn't actually mixed together right? Is there not some sort of a lugged connection, which just offers another part that can fail?

Then there's always the, "Cool, you got a new bike. Is it carbon?" And since you couldn't afford the full carbon bike you can tell 'em, "It has these really cool carbon stays!"

~ A penny saved is a government oversight.
Quote Reply
Re: Ongoing debate regarding carbon stays... [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just cost more and offer no advantages.

One of the advantages is they may not cost more, they can just sell for more. They are also much much easier from a fabrication standpoint.

The vibration absorbtion from carbon seat stays only is measurable, but probably not from a human's buttocks. There is a noticable difference in a frame with a FULL CARBON rear end (seat and chainstays) over one without carbon at all.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Dedaccai Black Box and Black Tail one piece seat and chainstay assembly on my Guru Trilite give it a ride qulity you will not find on any aluminum or carbon bike.

It makes a difference. It is stiffer and more comfortable. I just did a brutally difficult Olympic distance race over the weekend and the bike went up super-steep hills like a missle, stiff as a girder and soft as a mattress. Amazing. It takes a lot for me to be impressed by a bike, but the Black Box and Black Tail component rear end on the Trilite work. Absolutely Awesome.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on who's stays you are talking about. Read Empfield's review of the Yaqui Carbo.

For the most part, carbon stays are a "gimmick" (word straight from the mouth of a senior executive of a major bike manufacturer) on road bikes in the sub $1800 price range. If, however, you are talking about a properly designed bike, that is already stiff in the right places, a good set of carbon stays, installed properly, can make it stiffer, and stiffer means more efficient power transfer, which means more watts going toward moving the bike forward and less going toward bending the frame.

Now, as to who makes bike with carbon stays that exhibit the same characteristics as the Carbo? I have no idea, and the answer may be none.

One more interesting thing about the Carbo is how the stays are integrated with the frame - most carbon stays are lugged near the seat stay, and bolted at the dropouts. Ves miters and bonds the connection to the dropouts, which seems to be a much more solid connection than a bolt. I am unsure how he connects it to the seat tube - it is a very smooth transition, like nothing I have seen before on a carbon stay bike.

John
Last edited by: JohnA: Feb 6, 04 19:37
Quote Reply