Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [Gherkin12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gherkin12 wrote:
As random as this is, I was in Costco in Las Vegas the other week and I had an Ironman 70.3 cap on (not my usual attire just it was sitting in my car and it was hot out), anyway I'm standing in the checkout queue when they couple behind asked if I'd participated in the race my cap had on it.... Anyway cut a long story short they were from hawaii visiting and were saying as much as they like the income to the island from the event they hate it as it massively increases the traffic (hire cars etc) the amount of litter is constantly being picked up weeks after where the cyclists have dropped gel wrappers etc etc - they were polite etc just didn't like the event and the chaos it brings

The littering at IM races is very annoying. Sometimes people don’t notice a launched bottle or gels. But I’ve seen people just toss gels or not stop even when they see their bottle launch.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Maybe it's the conpression socks?

If that was the problem then the locals would have gone nuts in the 90s when athletes would walk around town in their "Speedos".

We lived on O'ahu from 90 to 94, I think part of the issue is something that is always in the minds of the local Hawaiians. The overthrow of the Hawaiian Monarch in 1893 and now exasperated by the protests over the telescope. When we were there the major issue was the return of Kaho'olawe. I remember running down Salt Lake Blvd January 17, 1993 a big black 4 x 4 made a quick U turn came back in my direction served quickly at me corrected and a BIG local leaning out the window yelling Haole Get the F*** out of here, I yelled back I am Mexican. I turned around and went back home

https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/...-backed-businessmen/

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Montster wrote:
It’s just some leaking from the TMT protests that have been going on for months.......

A billion dollar housing/condo/hotel development will get approval without so much as a peep from locals, yet put a telescope at over 14000 feet where most locals haven't set foot in years, IF EVER, and it's the end of the world.

Aloha ʻĀina my ass.

Fun fact: it's estimated there are only about 40,000 "indigenous" Hawai'ians, if that.
Hawaii has been a melting pot for Asians and Europeans for a long time.

Mate - I don't think you understand the the people of Hawaii. Show respect and get it back. Im a white boy who surfs and was invited to a native families pig roast by a guy I was surfing with and was THE ONLY white guy there haha so much love and respect was shown to me as a Florida boy on the north shore of Oahu.

The telescope is just on sacred land. If someone wanted to destroy Mecca and build a telescope on it, people would be pissed even if they have never been there. Same concept.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Who isn't frustrated and angry in the U.S.?

Sadly, that's very true. Although the increasing sales of medical marijuana help somewhat.

haha good one

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I think you'd find the people hating Ironman would hate lots of other stuff too. Angry people with no inner peace. We get a lot of road rage here towards cyclists, but similarly the road ragers don't actually have a problem with people riding bikes, they need something or somebody to direct their anger at. Take cyclists out of the equation it would be something else.
This has been my experience. Some people are simply cantankerous in any situation. They'll complain that their hamburger is too dry, there's too much/not enough ice in their Coke, and their doctor doesn't know anything. The 99% of the vehicle drivers who simply pass by when you're cycling get lumped in with the one percent who are jerks. I've never been in Kona during the IMWC, but it doesn't surprise me that there are people there who find something about the Ironman race to be angry about.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote Ai_1How unfair!
I bet all triathletes have great respect and appreciation for the locals when they travel.

BobAjobb wrote:
A great reason to move the race to other locations... see if the same whinging islanders (most of whom are probably not native so in tjemselves hypocritical) miss the income it brings for weeks on end.

zedzded wrote:
.....And really, an increase in traffic for a week is all the locals have to complain about? 1st world problems or what. Get up 30mins early for a week! The race brings in $30 million. A bit of traffic is a small price to pay to have that much $$ being pumped into the local community.
NordicSkier wrote:
.....A billion dollar housing/condo/hotel development will get approval without so much as a peep from locals, yet put a telescope at over 14000 feet where most locals haven't set foot in years, IF EVER, and it's the end of the world.

Aloha ʻĀina my ass.....

Oh wait. you may be onto something Canuck!

"complete douche bags" it is.[/quote]
We (non-locals) don't get to decide what is okay and acceptable to locals, indigenous or transplants. The quotes above are for locals to debate and decide. Not Outsiders. Businesses can highlight positive economic impacts when proposing development, providing services, or bringing events, but locals get to decide if the side effects are worth it and the rules that must be followed.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
Mate - I don't think you understand the the people of Hawaii. Show respect and get it back. Im a white boy who surfs and was invited to a native families pig roast by a guy I was surfing with and was THE ONLY white guy there haha so much love and respect was shown to me as a Florida boy on the north shore of Oahu.

The telescope is just on sacred land. If someone wanted to destroy Mecca and build a telescope on it, people would be pissed even if they have never been there. Same concept.

I don't disrespect the locals at all. I'm calling out the selective outrage here.
Hawai'ians should be pretty pissed off at a lot of things that aren't a telescope.
If you do some research you'll find that the summit hasn't been used much, if at all, as a sacred spot.
It's really an easy way to protest the greater grievances the Hawai'ians have which are probably more valid.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
A great reason to move the race to other locations... see if the same whinging islanders (most of whom are probably not native so in tjemselves hypocritical) miss the income it brings for weeks on end.

Your so Haole you don't even know your Haole

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning I was driving out Mamalahoa Bypass, which has a huge shoulder, about 3 cars behind a pro riding in the driving lane. At one point in a construction spot he went all the way to left shoulder and I wondered if he thought he’d teleported to the U.K., A minute later he rolled a red light. The locals have every right to be irritated by that kind of bush league behavior.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello GrahamK and All,

https://ironmanfoundation.org/

If I recall correctly Ironman Foundation provides grants to organizations in Kona.

I remember reading about some IM contributions ...... in the local paper ..... when I was in Kona for races about 10 years ago.

Perhaps Ironman needs a bit more PR touting what it brings to the community in tourism and .... some articles and briefings for those attending ... and instilling an effort to be respectful to locals.

When we lived in Kaneohe, Oahu in the late 50's ... my wife took Hulu lessons with the locals and we lived in town with them .... and people were very friendly.

As the air traffic boom came and the big hotels went up .... the large influx of 'short timers' tourists changed the vibe.

In later years working as a pilot and laying over in Oahu I had a bike stashed and got out a lot around the island.

Changed from the old days ..... I often got the 'stink eye' and a surly attitude.

We had a couple of pilots beaten at Ala Moana Park in broad daylight.

I got clipped and into it when surfing by a local over .... 'whose wave it was'

The hotels hired the locals as housekeeers and cooks and they seemed to resent the hotels being run by outsiders.

Movements were started to 'return the land to the locals'

More PR and education ..... less finger pointing ..... will help keep the Kona vibe alive and well.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t had any negative interactions with the locals. This may be a bit of a straw man scenario. How much bitching from locals have people really experienced?

I also see countless episodes of triathlete being typically douchey—running on the wrong side of the road, riding in the middle of the road, strutting around like peacocks.

My brother-in-law, a white guy that was born and raised here, told me once that locals were generally cool about the race. He and many of his friends used it as a way to make a couple extra bucks, doing various odd jobs while the circus was in town.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I haven’t had any negative interactions with the locals. This may be a bit of a straw man scenario. How much bitching from locals have people really experienced?

I also see countless episodes of triathlete being typically douchey—running on the wrong side of the road, riding in the middle of the road, strutting around like peacocks.

My brother-in-law, a white guy that was born and raised here, told me once that locals were generally cool about the race. He and many of his friends used it as a way to make a couple extra bucks, doing various odd jobs while the circus was in town.

I would imagine that most locals would be cool with it. As I said in a previous post about Ironman Western Australia, it's held in a small country town and the race takes over the town for 3 days. I was told multiple times the locals hated it and wanted rid of it, which after speaking to hundreds of locals over 6 years of racing there, I've come to the conclusion, it's bullshit, I even spoke to the council he were adamant, the locals wanted the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-triathlon sentiment here on the big island [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If people don't get your point about the self-absorption and narcissism, and ask why that would bother locals, then there it is...

If you have a family, a job, KQ, and still blog about your training - consider the others in your life.
Quote Reply

Prev Next