Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainingPeaks vs Today's Plan
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Wondering which tool is best for triathletes trying to better analyze training, recover, build a plan... especially for those using Stryd for the run? Even between TP vs TP Wko5 vs TP ;)

Anyone who used bother and prefer one to the other for some reason?

Thanks for you feedback,
Nick
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks vs Today's Plan [IronNico] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread. I've got the same question & would really appreciate any thoughts from the community. About to sign up for Training Peaks either way, but figured it was worth checking/bumping here to see if I'm about to make a big mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks vs Today's Plan [sbrambitions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like todays plan. I have not used Training Peaks in a while, and when I did I was a pure cyclist.
But todays plan seems to work well for me, I used the new membership program from a media group (that is not as good as this one IMO) $100 bucks/year plus some other perks. That price includes all the analysis as well as unlimited training plans.
The thing that I do not like is the abbreviations are not the same, and thus take some getting used to.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks vs Today's Plan [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah ok that's really helpful to know in advance. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
I really like todays plan. I have not used Training Peaks in a while, and when I did I was a pure cyclist.

I don't know when you stopped using it, but I can almost guarantee it's mostly the same. The haven't updated much in a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Training Peaks not updating in ....I don’t know ages. My old coach took at it with me (I still have premium until the end of the year) and said it looked the same as 8 years ago. I havent tried Today’s Plan in awhile but from what I hear from others its pretty good now and supports multisport and Stryd. I am experimenting with Tri2PEAK which uses AI for triathlon and so far it pretty much aligns with my coaches plan its the cost for two months for a coach pays for an entire year for Tri2PEAK so I am thinking ot taking the plunge. They have a 21 day free trial. It doesn’t hurt to try it at least.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll get a handful of bests depending on who answers. I'm very DIY and like two (or more) ways of doing things.

For analysis I use both WKO5 and Golden Cheetah. They each do things the other doesn't, so I find using both is best for me. Golden Cheetah is also for building workouts and training mode. If it takes you three months to learn either of the softwares, it'll pay off because you wont need to pay rent for a website subscription if you don't need mobile access. The user groups for WKO and GC are very helpful. Lots of custom charts are already available for download, especially for Stryd.

I use a simple spreadsheet for planning and PMC what ifs. I just copy my daily TSS from GC or WKO and then input future workouts/training plans to see the PMC change.

My DIY ways don't lend to viewing the data right after a workout on your mobile device. You'll need to open a computer to look at whatever you want that's not offered on Garmin Connect/Polar Flow.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks vs Today's Plan [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems to me Todays Plan is looking to exploit that "idleness" part of the thing that drew me to them was seeing how many things they are updating. I am a zwift user, all my workouts automatically go to Zwift, also you have access to all the sufferfest workouts (though not the videos) The training plan builder seems pretty cool based on the amount of control it gives you. I know Training Peaks does most of this already, but with that said, again it seems like Todays Plan wants to continue upping that. So if they are equal right now, I would see Todays plan being a much better choice shortly. Just my opinion though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely go with today's plan. When my premium is finished with training peaks I won't renew again.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely Today's Plan... not just coming form training perspective, but also it seems (as a software engineer myself) that Today's Plan's underlying platform is so much more scalable and modular that they can add new features much quicker than TP. They are rolling out features almost weekly and monthly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After many years of using TrainingPeaks, I recently signed up for a free trial of Today's Plan to check it out. I liked Today's Plan enough to pay for another month and have now been using it for a few weeks and don't see myself going back to TrainingPeaks. It was definitely an adjustment for me at first and I had to spend some time on the Today's Plan website playing around before I got used to it, but now I find myself going immediately to Today's Plan, and not TrainingPeaks, after a workout. I do think that the Today's Plan website is much more user-friendly than its iphone/ipad app, and I find myself not wanting to use the app very much, but given all the comments here about the room for Today's Plan to grow, I'm hopeful that the app will become much more of a go-to for me when I'm not in front of a computer.
Quote Reply