Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Microshift
Quote | Reply
Seriously considering microshift for a charbon bike build. For two reasons. Kind of my way to spit in the eye of the ever increasing price of upgrades that don’t make you any faster and have fun while doing it. The other more practical reason is my tri bike is 10sp ultegra with ttr3 wheels (10sp hub) and vision Merton shifters. So I’d like this bike that I build to be something I can steal parts from.

My question is should I stick to the “top end” microshift centos and Arsis? Or can I put some r10 on there. Specifically the RD.

On a side note I’m aware that you can get an 11sp 105 for a decent price and out most of that on my TT bike trickling down the other stuff. But then I’d have to give up my two favorite parts of my current build the vision shifters and the Ttr3 wheel-set.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Microshift [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you have to give up your wheelset? They have 11 speed cassette for 10 speed hubs now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why the Vision shifters are nice/better than Sram RtC, but you could get a 11sp cassette that fits 10sp bodies for your wheels and use some more modern groupset (11sp). Or you could find someone to make you 10sp body accept 11sp cassettes. Would be a shame to, unnecessarily, buy 'old' tech.
Quote Reply
Re: Microshift [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Why would you have to give up your wheelset? They have 11 speed cassette for 10 speed hubs now

Did not know that... well thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Microshift [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
Not sure why the Vision shifters are nice/better than Sram RtC, but you could get a 11sp cassette that fits 10sp bodies for your wheels and use some more modern groupset (11sp). Or you could find someone to make you 10sp body accept 11sp cassettes. Would be a shame to, unnecessarily, buy 'old' tech.

They’re actually the trigger style ones not paddle shifters. They look like break levers. A lot like r2c. They’re pretty awesome I don’t have to shift my body even a millimeter to shift through my entire gear set.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of TTR3 wheels on my 2012 Felt DA. It had one of the only cassette bodies that I was able to have a machinist take 1.8mm out of and be able to use it for Shimano 11 speed cassettes.

Check yours over, it might be the same as mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a microshift white groupset for about 6-7 years now... it's still on my zwift bike. I bought some arsis for another build (and the more modern brifters) a few years ago, has worked great for me. R10 is basically what white was years ago... it's definitely serviceable. That said, a centos RD is basically the same price as an R10.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Be careful with that. Depends on your chosen gear cluster, hub and spoke pattern.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checkout this write up that Darkspeedworks did:

https://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

I am using this on my trainer wheel. I pulled the first loose sprocket. Probably should have pulled one closer to the middle. But for the trainer, I don’t mind that I have a big jump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been using the Nashbar-branded r9 on my road bike for a couple of years now, with Ultegra bar-end shifters, it's working flawlessly..
Quote Reply
Re: Microshift [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Be careful with that. Depends on your chosen gear cluster, hub and spoke pattern.

Shimano is even making ones now.They're 11-speed cassettes that can be run on 10 speed hubs because the back few gears are actually cantilever in. What's odd is you actually have to use a spacer to run that 11-speed cassette on an 11-speed hub LOL. When I first bought one I had to read what it said on their website about eight times cuz I couldn't get it through my thick head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Links to Shimano 11spd road cassettes that fit on 10spd hubs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
brider wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Shimano is even making ones now.They're 11-speed cassettes that can be run on 10 speed hubs because the back few gears are actually cantilever in. What's odd is you actually have to use a spacer to run that 11-speed cassette on an 11-speed hub LOL. When I first bought one I had to read what it said on their website about eight times cuz I couldn't get it through my thick head.

If memory serves me, there's a minimum big cog of 32T on these cassettes. In essence, they're cantilevering an 11th cog off the 10-speed carrier. Which is fine if your spokes have the clearance to allow the RD to go over that far. The after-market ones machine the inner surface to achieve the same thing, but with smaller cassettes. Same issue with spoke clearance, though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Microshift [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
brider wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

If memory serves me, there's a minimum big cog of 32T on these cassettes. In essence, they're cantilevering an 11th cog off the 10-speed carrier. Which is fine if your spokes have the clearance to allow the RD to go over that far. The after-market ones machine the inner surface to achieve the same thing, but with smaller cassettes. Same issue with spoke clearance, though.

Correct
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't do it. I was forced to race on microshift for a year. Ride Shimano 105 or Sram APEX before going to any microshift products.
Quote Reply
Re: Microshift [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Don't do it. I was forced to race on microshift for a year. Ride Shimano 105 or Sram APEX before going to any microshift products.

What was wrong with it?

Quote Reply