Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IAAF Worlds-Doha
Quote | Reply
So...Doha better have paid a bajillion dollars for this. The Women are dropping like flies on this marathon.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Groner (US, 6th) and Tessier (Can, 9th) are both mothers in their 40’s who work full time.

Crazy conditions for sure.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly sure Lyndsay is not a mother. She is 40+ though and came to the sport late and has taken to it quite well. As a grade 3 teacher she has the summer off, so a Sept marathon works really well.
Last edited by: Josh S: Sep 27, 19 22:18
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [Josh S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I’m confusing a couple of different stories. Still in a relative sense some pretty commendable performances.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
28 out of 68 starters withdrew.

Were the conditions worse than anticipated, or did the athletes not prepare well enough for the heat?

How does this compare to Kona for instance?
Last edited by: EiE_: Sep 27, 19 23:54
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [EiE_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EiE_ wrote:
28 out of 68 starters withdrew.

Were the conditions worse than anticipated, or did the athletes not prepare well enough for the heat?

How does this compare to Kona for instance?

I lived in Doha for 5 years and the place gets hot. Very hot. June, July are the hottest months, 110F - 115F every day. The hottest we had was 122F which was insane. It rains once a year and sometimes not at all. Humidity wasn't that high. September is still hot as fuck, most days over 100F, so athletes would have been aware, humidity lower than Kona, so I would imagine comfort level would be similar. If Pro women can do 9 hours in the Kona heat and run sub 3 hour marathons, then the marathon runners can manage 2.30 in similar conditions. They certainly would have been aware of the weather,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So...Doha better have paid a bajillion dollars for this.

yep, they did: https://www.theguardian.com/...igated-french-judges
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The humidity was reported as very high, which makes sense since the race started at midnight. Temp at 90 at the start and dew point of 80. That would be worse than Kona.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
The humidity was reported as very high, which makes sense since the race started at midnight. Temp at 90 at the start and dew point of 80. That would be worse than Kona.

I was in Abu Dhabi 10 days ago. It should have been tail end of summer but it was still full on summer. It was Vegas summer hot with Houston Humidity. You could not do anything outside. Doha is just a stone's throw away. I'd imagine the humidity would be similar even in the middle of the night.
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the first 15 k or so before going out to dinner, and I thought that they sure are sweating a lot, and one move blew up the entire field pretty early. Knew it was going to be a death march with some slow times. To me it is criminal to make these athletes compete in such horrible conditions for such a big prize, to the point that midnight is the best time? Also caught the end of a 5k heat where some dude collapsed, but another guy drug him around the track to the line. Reminded me of something familiar...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The World Cup should be interesting in a couple years.... maybe common sense should make a comeback and people could realize that sports in the middle of the desert heat isn’t the best idea, no matter how much money they throw at you.

Quote | Reply
Did you watch what happened as the guy was finally dragged across the finish line....

That’s right. He’s stopped his watch #priorities lol

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the sprinters are loving the hot humid conditions. Its perfect for sprinting, but sucks if you are running the marathon. Keep in mind the track events are in an air conditioned stadium. The marathon is outdoors. Hassan was flying in the women's 10,000m today. Its just amazing watching her run and set records.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think the sprinters are loving the hot humid conditions. Its perfect for sprinting, but sucks if you are running the marathon. Keep in mind the track events are in an air conditioned stadium. The marathon is outdoors. Hassan was flying in the women's 10,000m today. Its just amazing watching her run and set records.

They should just run the mary on the track, and then they would prob have some fast times, rather than very slow. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The air conditioned track was still 85 degrees today

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Worlds-Doha [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must say, I am a fan of the mixed team relays, if they take away the mens/womens only relays, I think that would be better for the sport (and cost saving for federations and organizers).

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply