Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Training - Split Sessions?
Quote | Reply
Hi All - perpetual lurker here trying to get some clarification on bike training. As a historically sprint focused triathlete, never really had to worry about sessions lasting longer than an hour for any specific event so I could easily hit my training targets time wise no issues. Have mixed in Olympics with little issue hitting the volume time commitment wise as well.

This year I signed up for the Eagleman 70.3 in June 2020. As I am building my base I am having some difficulty during the work week hitting target workouts (lengthwise/timewise) Basically, having trouble getting up early enough to get a 2 hour ride on the trainer in before my daughter wakes up at 630 and needs tending. I do however have three different time blocks during the week I could get 1 hour sessions in. 1 hour morning, 1 hr. lunch, 1-1.5 hr. in evening. I have done this many times for say swim AM/run PM or Lift AM/Bike PM, however never split sessions for the same sport. Is it beneficial or a net positive for me to split it this way or is this frowned upon/waste of time to split the bike up into 2 1-hr sessions? Anyone do this successfully or again, just a waste of time?

Any advice appreciated.

Tom B.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Training - Split Sessions? [tjbingha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I frequently do a 40min gym spin at work at lunch then show up to the weeknight worlds around 6. Makes weenight worlds harder, but the training stimulus is really good.

I just wouldn't double up on hiit during those time frames, that's all. I would up it to hard tempo to SS range though.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Training - Split Sessions? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I just wouldn't double up on hiit during those time frames, that's all. I would up it to hard tempo to SS range though."

Dumb question - what is "SS Range" an acronym for?

Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Training - Split Sessions? [tjbingha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SS= Sweet Spot or about 92% (+/- a few) of your ftp

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply