Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Odyssey SwimRun Orcas Island
Quote | Reply
I raced it myself this year and had a blast. Also ran into many triathletes who made this race their first SwimRun experience. Winning time here just under 6 hours. Almost 7,000 feet of elevation gain during 19+ miles of running and well over 3 miles of swimming.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...cal_island_7433.html
Quote Reply
Re: Odyssey SwimRun Orcas Island [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its on my bucket list
it looks awesome and not too far from Vancouver

maybe next year though
Quote Reply
Re: Odyssey SwimRun Orcas Island [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was visually very amazing. Maybe not for folks from that part of the world, but still hard with 6 to 8.5 hours of racing. You really learn who you are and what your body can do, plus how nice you can play with others when you are pushing yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced the Orcas Island SwimRun as well! Probably my favorite event I've ever done.

The venue was amazing and the entire experience from check-in to post race pizza was awesome.

Hopefully I can race it again next year.
Last edited by: Justin Thornley: Sep 25, 19 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: Odyssey SwimRun Orcas Island [Justin Thornley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was this your first SwimRun?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my first. I'm hoping to do Catalina Island, Casco Bay, and Orcas Island next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tell folks all the time how easy it is to get hooked to this sport when you are willing to step outside the box. All these races next year should be good. I assume you are a West Coast based athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup! I live in Las Vegas.

I do a lot of triathlons and Spartan Races.

SwimRun removes my least favorite part of tri (cycling), and adds my favorite parts of Spartan Races (Trail Running and Broken Running)

It's the perfect sport for me and more accessible for my friends who don't have bikes.

Do you direct the SwimRun in NC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. Two friends of mine and I run that race as volunteers. We take not a nickel from it, not even gas money despite going many times to the Hanging Rock State Park (about 50 minutes from my house in Winston-Salem.) and all proceeds go to the park and local trail building associations.

In 2017 we bought the park a mobile fire fighting unit, and last year mountain bikes for the rangers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome. I'm putting the race on my 2020 wish list. Do you anticipate it to be the same weekend in 2020?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love this

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always the last Sunday in October
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey now Justin - thrilled to hear you had such a memorable experience on Orcas over the weekend. Talk about classic Pacific NorthWest conditions on race day! Hope you'll join us again on Orcas and great to hear you're considering some of the others too!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply