Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Something loose in my shifters (both) - Tiagara 2017 10sp
Quote | Reply
Was wondering if anyone can help diagnose my shifter issue -

I have Tiagara 10sp 2017 on my road bike, which I actually don't ride that much since the large bulk of my riding is on Zwift. I probably ride it like 8 times per year outdoors honestly!

It's been working great, and STILL works great now with regards to shifting, but I have gradually developed what sounds like a loose piece rattling around inside the shifter. The shifter levers still work great, but I did have to adjust them for my smaller hands when I set them up. It seemed to develop sort of gradually, first in the left shifter, then the right.

I installed this myself back when I bought it and I'm seriously like the worst bike mechanic ever (never let me work on your bike!) so any tips would be appreciated before I have to uninstall and check the whole thing.

I'm wondering if some shifter-related piece came loose inside the shifter. It's a bit loud on bumpy road but not at all a limiter otherwise. Help appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Something loose in my shifters (both) - Tiagara 2017 10sp [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I still need help but have more info -

The rattling went down into the bar ends so I removed the bar end plugs, and out came a hex nut that looks like this

(it's not this exact piece, I just used a random picture, but it looks like it)

The shifter still seems like it works fine, and is now silent, but I'm worried that I need this piece since I def did not install a piece like this when the shifter went on. Any ideas what this nut is used for?
Quote Reply
Re: Something loose in my shifters (both) - Tiagara 2017 10sp [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you do anything to the shifters?
Quote Reply
Re: Something loose in my shifters (both) - Tiagara 2017 10sp [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing I did when I installed them was to adjust the throw of the shifter lever, due to my small hands. I seriously suspect that maybe I bottomed out the screw that adjusted the lever throw, and there may have been a nut on the back of it (which I couldn't see) that fell out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are *no* bolts, attachments, or parts of any sort inside the bars of a (standard) road bike. If you took the plug out of the end of the bar, and something fell out, that something never should have been there in the first place. By getting it out, you fixed the problem.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Something loose in my shifters (both) - Tiagara 2017 10sp [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(y)

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shifter is on the outside of the bar, so it isn't possible for any part of it to come off and end up inside the bar.
Quote Reply
Re: Something loose in my shifters (both) - Tiagara 2017 10sp [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doh I got it. Obvious in retrospect but it didnsound like it was in the shifter at first!

I wonder where that nut came from? Any possible ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Doh I got it. Obvious in retrospect but it didnsound like it was in the shifter at first!

I wonder where that nut came from? Any possible ideas?

Are your bar plugs the simple press-in type, or do they have an internal wedge that's tightened with a bolt? If the latter, possibly the nut at the end of the internal wedge came off?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Something loose in my shifters (both) - Tiagara 2017 10sp [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Press in no bolt.

There was.one nut in each bar end as well!
Quote Reply