Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Covering the valve hole for a disc wheel
Quote | Reply
Just got my new Renn Disk. Can't wait to use it in a race.

Question for the board. Should I consider covering the valve cut-out hole in the disk with something for absolute_best_aerodynamics? What have some of you used to cover the hole? I'm sure in the grand scheme of life its not really a factor (probably worth a whole 5 seconds over 40K), but i thought maybe electrical tape might take care of it and allow for easy entry in the event of a flat.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Covering the valve hole for a disc wheel [Hightower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine that covering the valve hole on the Renn would even save you 5 seconds. However, I have heard of people using Duct tape to close holes on disk wheels...Wide, reasonably sticky and easy to remove. BTW, you're going to love the Renn :)
Quote Reply
Re: Covering the valve hole for a disc wheel [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a rails to trails sticker on on side and have never bothered covering the hole on the other side. It won't make a measurable difference. BTW I can't wiat to use my new renn either.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redshoe Brand Shoes Inc., the makers of Red Shoe Brand cycling shoes, also makes carbon/kevlar covers to cover the valve hole in disc wheels. They have different models for Hed, Zipp and Renn, not sure if they have for the Corima disc. It's only $99 and it can save up to 6 seconds in a 40k TT.

Hope this helps!

Paulo

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2" wide black electrical tape will work like a charm. A $2.00 roll will last your lifetime. I don't know if the rails to trail sticker will last I always have to remove the tape from both sides of my wheel to pump it up. (I have a Zipp and perhaps that makes a difference) Don't forget to get a disc wheel pump adapter also.
Quote Reply
Re: Covering the valve hole for a disc wheel [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hear! hear! for the 2" electrical tape. Removes easier and cleaner than duct tape (or the black equivalent, gaffers tape) and re-sticks better.

Since we here are some of the most anal retentive gear hogs known to man, I can't believe anyone would buy a disc wheel and NOT cover the valve hole.

BTW I use a Blackburn AS1 Air Stik pump and it works great with the valve hole in HED3's so I assume a disc hole would be similar. Not the sexiest pump in the world but it works well (isn't that the point of the darn things?)

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply