Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Cool, thanks. I noticed 2 indents in my tire and figured it was a manufacturing mark. After reading the pist I was wondering if my seeing them meant the tire was worn.

Seeing those 2 indents means your tire is NOT worn.

They are quite distinct when brand new.

Once they get worn down enough so that those 2 dots are barely there, you know it’s the same for your tire - and replace them.

I typically do that before that even happens, once they square off in the back, I’m relegating them to training only, and put fresh new tires on the race wheels.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
TBH it looks like it's been run over inflated what pressure do you run ?

85-90 so it's not that either. You guys are stabbing in the dark. The reasons for this are (1) these tires wear fast and (2) I wear tires faster than most people. I'm a not small guy who lives in a hilly area and I'm stronger than average but that said these tires still wear faster than anything I've used except Corsa Speeds.[/quote]
I'm sure both of those statements are probably true...but holy crap man. Why would you still be riding those tires?!? The second picture, with cracks across the 'tread'...at that point, I'm putting tires either on the trainer or in the bin.

How does the front look?
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to call BS on this... this much damage in 1700 miles...nah.. Looks more like someone likes doing big skids to me..!
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it back on not having flatted. Cleaning my bike noticed a spot of sealant on my rear brake. So checked over my tire, and it did get a puncture that apparently sealed so quickly I didn't notice it. Pumped it back to pressure with no issue (and may have several times already without knowing it), so not going to attempt a repair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
My rear GP5000 after 1700 miles. Needless to say, I won't ride one this far again.

That's unbelievable. Where did you buy the tire? Could it be a counterfeit?
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
lanierb wrote:

My rear GP5000 after 1700 miles. Needless to say, I won't ride one this far again.

That's unbelievable. Where did you buy the tire? Could it be a counterfeit?
No it's all real, bought from reputable dealers. (I ride a lot and do a lot of testing, work with top pro riders, etc so I'm careful about it.) I think the rubber must be on the soft side. You'll notice the tread on mine has a huge flat spot across the middle. Corsa Speeds are the only tires that last less long for me than that. For comparison, a Michelin Power Competition would last nearly twice as long (at a small cost in rolling resistance), with other top tires being somewhere in between. I still think the GP5000 is a great tire, and I think the jury is still out on it with respect to puncture resistance, but it does wear quickly so you all should keep an eye on yours. (The way mine got so worn was I didn't realize it was so fast wearing and with only ~1500miles I hadn't bothered inspecting it - if I had inspected it obviously I would have changed it long before it got that bad. When I finally did, I was pretty shocked. I have another one on there now so I'll let you all know when I think it's worn - guessing <1500mi but we'll see.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's precisely why I asked the question. My experience with the 5000TL is radically different than yours. Mine both still look new after over 1100 miles. I've even wondered if the compound isn't somewhat harder than with the 4000SII. Very strange.

But if mine suddenly self-destruct (or even show extraordinary signs of wear), I will definitely post about it.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Sep 3, 19 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sidewalls suck...……..but most tires do. I don't think they are better than the 4000's in the puncture area. They are faster and do feel better though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I have continental gp4000sii. Considering picking up the gp5000. according to continental the puncture resistance is better on the gp5000s. But bicyclerollingresistance.com says the opposite. I'm wondering if anybody here is running gp5000 and had any more frequent punctures than the gp4000sii?

Just adding my experience. I've been running a pair of GP5000 TL 32s since late December and have put on ~3K miles. Just today I noticed one small spot on the rear tire where a cord is showing. The front still looks great with very little wear.

Not a SINGLE puncture (that I know of...running tubeless w/sealant, but haven't noticed any "spewing") nor cuts in that time frame, and while using it on mixed surfaces (i.e. pavement and light gravel usage).

I'm impressed. Just ordered a new one to replace the rear.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a big stockpile of TL Schwalbe Pro Ones (old version). They are awful for puncture resistance.

My GP 4000 clinchers on the other bike are bullet proof. I can’t justify taking those off, despite having a big stockpile and 1000s of miles on the current set.

Looking forward to replacing the Schwalbes with some new 5000s tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've already gone through 2 rear tires and 1 front tire (23mm GP5000 clincher on Reynolds Assault wheels (17mm inner width, 25mm outer)) in 2800km on normal road surface because of wires showing through the side wall, small cuts and now a bigger cut from the side wall on to the contact patch. Still never flatted, luckily because they're an absolute bitch to get off and on the wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP5000 tires don't have any wires in them.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
ElliotOP wrote:
You clearly got a bad tire...

PS : you also mounted it backwards

I didn’t know they had a forward side. Can you explain?
Does it make a difference in terms of CRR aero?
They mark right on them the direction of rotation. Yours is mounted backwards.

Are u screwing with us? Wow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What pressure do you run in yours at 32mm? I started out at 50psi, but I recently had a spare wheel that I tried my 32 on and it fit great and measured out to 34mm. I decided to try it at 35 psi and eventually went to 30. I've read that lower pressure might extend the life of the tire and 3000 miles seems pretty good for such a sporty tire.

I've never had a flat--that I noticed--on my 5000tl and that included a good bit of dirt roads.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
What pressure do you run in yours at 32mm? I started out at 50psi, but I recently had a spare wheel that I tried my 32 on and it fit great and measured out to 34mm. I decided to try it at 35 psi and eventually went to 30. I've read that lower pressure might extend the life of the tire and 3000 miles seems pretty good for such a sporty tire.

I've never had a flat--that I noticed--on my 5000tl and that included a good bit of dirt roads.

You must not weigh very much...and/or ride them on really rough surfaces ;-) I typically go 60psi Front/ 62psi Rear. I ride these on mostly pavement, with some "light gravel" use as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
You must not weigh very much...and/or ride them on really rough surfaces ;-) I typically go 60psi Front/ 62psi Rear. I ride these on mostly pavement, with some "light gravel" use as well.

Do you mind sharing your weight? your pressures seem high to me for the size of the tire.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Do you mind sharing your weight? your pressures seem high to me for the size of the tire.

I currently weight ~170 lbs. All up weight is more like 196-198 lbs. I measure the tires at 33mm on my rims.

The Silca pressure calculator suggests 60F/61R for "worn pavement", "moderate group ride" pace. Even putting in "Class 4 gravel" and "recreational" pace doesn't get the pressures below the low 40s.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
LAI wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

I currently weight ~170 lbs. All up weight is more like 196-198 lbs. I measure the tires at 33mm on my rims.

The Silca pressure calculator suggests 60F/61R for "worn pavement", "moderate group ride" pace. Even putting in "Class 4 gravel" and "recreational" pace doesn't get the pressures below the low 40s.

Okay, you're around 15 lbs heavier than I thought you were and your all in is much more than I thought.

In regards to Silca I started with their reccos on my road bike and kept dropping until I felt the ride was making me soft. 😆 For me that was 55 psi front and rear on Pro Ones measured at 25 and 28 front and rear, respectively. Now, on my Time Trial setup the cacluator has me right on for what I run and if I go up 5psi I get jarred to hell and 5psi down I start to feel sluggish on good pavement. The Time Trial is setup with latex and the Road is tubeless.

I'm using a system weight of 160 for both Time Trial and Road as the latter is lighter by a couple pounds but I also carry more fluids on it.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I have continental gp4000sii. Considering picking up the gp5000. according to continental the puncture resistance is better on the gp5000s. But bicyclerollingresistance.com says the opposite. I'm wondering if anybody here is running gp5000 and had any more frequent punctures than the gp4000sii?

My first pair of 5000s are probably the only tires I have ridden down to the cords and never flatted. I have no idea what the mileage was because I they probably lasted 8 or more months (I put them on sometime last year).

I put a second pair on my TT training wheels. I went 0.6 miles when I hit a dry wall screw. I stopped. Unscrewed it from the tire. Held my finger over the hole for 10 seconds so the sealant could seal and hopped back on and did my ride. You can kind of see where the screw pulled some casing out of the tire, but I probably have 400 miles on the tire with no issues. I guess that qualifies as a flat, but man that tubeless stuff works great.
Quote Reply

Prev Next