Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another cheater bike [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
jaretj wrote:
I hope e-bikes save cycling on the road for the rest of us.

If Grandma, Brother, Sister, 25 year old son, etc... can easily ride to work on their e-bike maybe it will influence governments to add bike lanes.

Yes, agree 100% Let's embrace this group to get better riding conditions for all of us.

In the age of "I won't ride outdoors anymore/It's not safe" this may be our best chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E-bikes are the surf leash of the 70's. All the same arguments, surf leash makes it too easy to surf, takes away from the swimming aspect, lets hoards of people out there that wouldn't otherwise be, and just ruins the purity of the sport or activity. Took about 5 years to be completely accepted, and now hardly anyone can remember when they weren't around.

Same exact thing is happening with E-bikes, as you can see from this thread alone, many were against, now for, and later on no one will remember a day when they were not part of the landscape of riding. People just don't like change, unless it is change that benefits them directly..
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
"5.4 W/mph"

Can we talk about this for a moment? I have some questions. I am just trying to understand how this is a valuable number while ignoring other variables.

How much does the rider weigh, add in the bike weight? I ask because the weight of the rider is a pretty important factor.

Over what distance are we talking? Its realistic to think that the rider could get "sloppy" with their form over longer distances and therefore impact their aerodynamics.

What is the bike setup? Like, all of it...tires, tubes, cables, total CDA for the rider and bike. (frontal area, drag coefficient)

What is the weather like? Wind speed, wind angles, rain, sun, temperature, etc.

What type of course are we talking about? Hills, mountains, flat, downhill, rolling?

at a base level this could help: https://www.gribble.org/...g/power_v_speed.html

Like, according to that formula...I am riding around 44 mph most days.

Drag isn't linear wrt speed.

If they're after a brag, they need to post CdA figures instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

If Grandma, Brother, Sister, 25 year old son, etc... can easily ride to work on their e-bike maybe it will influence governments to add bike lanes.

I can see it going one of two ways - your view being the optimistic.

The other is all those 25 yr olds and punks will be barraging down the road and not paying attention to any bike laws on their e-bikes with no helmets causing traffic accidents and worse, pedestrian accidents. It's already reaching epidemic levels in NYC - maybe or maybe not because of e-bikes and e-scooters.

It's an almost daily occurrence that I see some punk riding down the wrong side of the road with earbuds in, no helmet, and texting in one hand. They give the rest of us a bad name.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Just can't get my head around that 1970's swimming pool color"

Dude! It's Celeste.

https://sicycle.wordpress.com/...nis-leftover-greens/

The color ridden by legendary cyclists like Coppi, Argentin, Gimondi, Bugno, Pantani, and Ullrich.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
jaretj wrote:

The other is all those 25 yr olds and punks will be barraging down the road and not paying attention to any bike laws on their e-bikes with no helmets causing traffic accidents and worse, pedestrian accidents. It's already reaching epidemic levels in NYC - maybe or maybe not because of e-bikes and e-scooters.

It's an almost daily occurrence that I see some punk riding down the wrong side of the road with earbuds in, no helmet, and texting in one hand. They give the rest of us a bad name.

Do you get that worked up over car drivers doing stupid things? Or is it just people on bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbea and Willier are using the same hub based motor so their road ebikes also look great.

I doubt we will see these popping up at all the local races. The very large hub is easy to spot. You don't need any of the fancy gadgets the UCI or USA cycling are using to check for motors to spot it.

I'm neutral on ebikes. I like that they are getting people out riding that otherwise wouldn't be, and keeping a few more cars off the road. For now they are not for me. In a few decades or if I ever have medical issues that keep me from riding I'm sure i'll be all in on ebikes.

One of my friends converted his old MTB to an ebike buying one of the chinese conversion kits online. The bike goes up to 30MPH without the need to pedal. With the pedal assist it crazy how easy it is to accelerate and get up to speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
ninagski wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Do you get that worked up over car drivers doing stupid things? Or is it just people on bikes?

I'm actually not worked up at all - just making an observation.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
ninagski wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I know you weren't asking me, but...

If a driver was on the wrong side of the road, blatantly running a red light, or forcing pedestrians who have the right of way to clear a path for them...sure. I'd be even more upset naturally.

Let's be honest here. There are idiot people and assholes who ride bikes no different than there are idiot people and assholes who drive cars or walk streets as pedestrians (or runners). Common theme is that some people are idiots and/or assholes.

How worked up we get about such idiot/asshole behavior is the risk it causes to others. A person on a bike usually poses somewhat low risk to others and mostly risk to themselves even if they ride like a dick. Well, at least compared to a person operating a 5000 pound car. Just like an idiot pedestrian who jaywalks across the street without looking poses little risk to others...mostly to themselves.

But as e-bikes become more popular, you're transforming the person who rode his bike like an idiot/asshole at 10-14 mph, and now allowing him to ride at 25 mph. You are also opening up bike riding to more people that act like idiot/assholes who wouldn't have otherwise.

I do think e-bikes provide great opportunity for more acceptance of cycling. In busy cities, it is a great option for people to reduce their dependency on driving and should help advocacy of better cycling infrastructure. But in turn, more laws need to be in place (with enforcement) to ensure you don't have people ripping along sidewalks at 20-25 mph.

For use by a cyclist who can't keep up with their buddies...e-bikes are an absolute great thing for cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [347CX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
347CX wrote:
I'm definitely mixed on the whole e-bike thing. On one hand, for reasons illustrated above, some folks who otherwise couldn't do certain rides can definitely benefit and it's great to get people riding. But on the other hand, I also see how some people who are otherwise healthy would use e-bikes as a crutch or substitute for actually putting in the work to become fitter individuals. I doubt that the e-bike crowd could be potential standard bike customers, once you go electric do people ever go back?

Why would you say that?

I have 2 e-bikes and many regular bikes. E-bikes should be looked at as CAR REPLACEMENT. I use them for trips that otherwise would be accomplished by single occupancy automobile. E-bikes are a great thing. They have allowed me to reduce driving by about 95%. And so I actually "exercise" more, by doing active transportation.

I still ride my regular road bike on weekend rides, I train and race on my tri-bike and I ride my regular commuter/folding bikes for shorter, less gruesome trips around the neighborhood.

E-bikes enable people in car-dependent cities to reduce/eliminate driving trips. If only we put a fraction of the government automotive subsidies into e-bikes, we'd be well on the way of getting out of this climate crisis thing, and fighting obesity, diabetes, and all the ails of sedentary car-living.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lovely bike, but I don't care what you call it. It still looks like an old swimming pool. FWIW, I saw one black and one red Bianchi that looked beautiful.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I saw a couple riding this weekend where the guy was pretty miserable going super slow while the gal was killing herself trying to keep up. That was the first time I thought to myself, "There's somebody that could use an e-bike." And then I realized my own wife could get one and we could go on rides and stay together. Count me in as a convert.

Me too. Renting an e-bike got my 70yr old father in law out to do some rides with my wife and me. First time he's been on a bike in over 50 years, and he did a 10 mile ride with us. He was way into it. Much, much better than being inside all day, and he burned some calories in the process. I rode the e-bike and it was a blast too.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cheater bike [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

100%. I was extremely skeptical here in Seattle when rideshare bikes started rolling out, and there definitely are folks who are reckless (both intentionally and unintentionally through ignorance). But a couple years after adoption, it feels like both newer riders and drivers have adapted effectively. City street cycling is still an experience, but outside of the downtown core and major arterials I have never felt safer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next