Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swimming after appendectomy
Quote | Reply
Had laparoscopic surgery to remove appendix and before surgery the surgeon said to wait about 3-4 days to swim. When I was released the Nurse Practitioner said to wait two weeks because the pool was full of pee, etc ( you don't have to tell me that- lol). After I was released I placed a call to the surgeon to ask and now she is out of the office. I was hoping to resume in a week. How long were you advised to wait?
Last edited by: seadocha: Aug 24, 19 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: swimming after appendectomy [seadocha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe don't train butterfly this week

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an appendectomy 3 weeks ago. What the doctor actually said was 2 things:
1) swimming - don't swim until the wounds have healed (i.e. the skin is completely healed) - you don't want the wounds to get infected
2) otherwise I could train if it didn't hurt. Was up cycling 2 days afterwards and running 3 days after.

I will do my last sprint triathlon race next weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming after appendectomy [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running and cycling by day 3? Yikes! Lucky you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say the sessions were hard or long ... admittedly, the very first run felt kinda rough to the system but it didn't hurt. It took 1,5 weeks before I started to push some harder watts.

The plasters from the operation actually hurt more I think then the actual wounds. Please note, I had keyhole surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two appendix surgeries.

Keyhole the first time and a can't recall how long before I returned to training and racing.

Four months later, they had a second dig and I was hospitalised for 2 weeks and I was unable to work for several weeks after that.

I don't do things by halves. I hope you have better luck than me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually tell my patients a few days for biking, a week for swimming, 2 weeks for running.
From a wound perspective, you have nothing to be worried about. The main issue with resuming activities too early is a higher chance of developing a hernia at your umbilicus. Be prepared to have crappy workouts for a month. Your body goes into repair mode with repair hormones that are not ideal for hard workouts. If you have no upcoming races, try to stay away from pool and running for 2-3 weeks. Cycling is pretty safe.
Quote Reply