Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1989 The Full Story [MarkAllenCoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark - I remember being fascinated by this race when I was in high school. Thanks for the motivation and thanks for bringing more of this history to light.
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty. I miss those days too. Good friends and long ride.
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
MarkAllenCoach wrote:
The Macca Raelert duel was excellent. And I can tell you the moment Raelert lost. It was when Macca put out his hand to shake after Raelert caught Macca. The way Macca did it he kept his arm close to his own body so Raelert had to reach across to shake. And the moment they shook, Macca gave this slight pull on Raelert's hand. It was like he pulled the energy out of Raelert's body. I commented to the TV guys I was with that Raelert just lost the race...

Quite a clever tactic of Macca's was when he realised Raelert was closing, rather than accelerate and try and beat him, he ran conservatively, possibly eased up a little, allowed Raelert to catch him, knowing that he would have burnt matches along the way to catching up, then accelerated knowing Raelert was most likely done.

Yes that was part of it, he fuelled up and got ready to go again, he also sped up a fraction when Raelert got close so Raelert had to dig to make the final bridge. Raelert was then happy to ‘rest up’ once level rather than blow by, helped by Macca making him comfortable with the handshake/sponge share. That lack of ruthlessness cost him when Macca went; he’d slackened mentally and that’s hard to get back at mile 24 of the Kona run. Another classic duel, hope there’s another soon....
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
zedzded wrote:
MarkAllenCoach wrote:
The Macca Raelert duel was excellent. And I can tell you the moment Raelert lost. It was when Macca put out his hand to shake after Raelert caught Macca. The way Macca did it he kept his arm close to his own body so Raelert had to reach across to shake. And the moment they shook, Macca gave this slight pull on Raelert's hand. It was like he pulled the energy out of Raelert's body. I commented to the TV guys I was with that Raelert just lost the race...

Quite a clever tactic of Macca's was when he realised Raelert was closing, rather than accelerate and try and beat him, he ran conservatively, possibly eased up a little, allowed Raelert to catch him, knowing that he would have burnt matches along the way to catching up, then accelerated knowing Raelert was most likely done.

Yes that was part of it, he fuelled up and got ready to go again, he also sped up a fraction when Raelert got close so Raelert had to dig to make the final bridge. Raelert was then happy to ‘rest up’ once level rather than blow by, helped by Macca making him comfortable with the handshake/sponge share. That lack of ruthlessness cost him when Macca went; he’d slackened mentally and that’s hard to get back at mile 24 of the Kona run. Another classic duel, hope there’s another soon....

I'm think Macca had him beat the whole time. He slowed up on purpose to try to create the
big "ironwar 2". I didn't buy it, not even the fake side stitch. I could be wrong but I doubt it.
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. I wouldn't put it past him

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know... I find it hard to believe that Macca was playing 3D chess at mile 24 of an IM marathon. He did make the right decision to slow down, eat and use that second wind to break Raelert about the time when Andreas was probably on the edge of bonking. The psyops stuff seems a little bit too far fetched in my opinion.

mdtrihard wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
zedzded wrote:
MarkAllenCoach wrote:

I'm think Macca had him beat the whole time. He slowed up on purpose to try to create the
big "ironwar 2". I didn't buy it, not even the fake side stitch. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what it looks like to me.

uote trailerhouse]I don't know... I find it hard to believe that Macca was playing 3D chess at mile 24 of an IM marathon. He did make the right decision to slow down, eat and use that second wind to break Raelert about the time when Andreas was probably on the edge of bonking. The psyops stuff seems a little bit too far fetched in my opinion.

mdtrihard wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
zedzded wrote:
MarkAllenCoach wrote:

[/quote]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has any one else had trouble getting the site to load? I tried several times the last week of August without success. I managed to get in around the 1st of September but today it's back to not loading. Eventually I get the "took too long to respond" error. I've tried it with different browsers and servers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Hey, nice to hear from you Scott, been a long time.. As for the proofing, it is not my thing as I said, my wife does it for a living, so she could certainly give you a lot of feedback. But just reading this great story you published, just a couple things I noticed, for instance this paragraph;

"I got three flats during the bike segment (which, by the way, were the only three flats I ever experienced in all my years of training and racing in Kona). I finished in 5th, farther out of the lead than any of my six starts on the Big Island".

I thought I was getting deja vu, because after reading it, you repeated it right after, word for word.. Not to get into the weeds here, but probably a few commas would be in order in your opening section, and a couple of wrong words used in a few places, just stuff like that. Sure my wife or any professional proof reader could find a lot more, that's what they do. We tell stories, they make them look good.. (-;

Anyway that's all, great work on one of the greatest stories ever told. Keep it up man, miss those old days and all the camaraderie we had...

LOL! Have your wife proof Herbert's stuff then. Atrocious......
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! Have your wife proof Herbert's stuff then. Atrocious......//

She does, but Herbert likes to post his stuff up on his own, so sometimes she doesn't see it right away. So if you are someone that reads the front page right away, might be a chance you get to read his second language....(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
LOL! Have your wife proof Herbert's stuff then. Atrocious......//

She does, but Herbert likes to post his stuff up on his own, so sometimes she doesn't see it right away. So if you are someone that reads the front page right away, might be a chance you get to read his second language....(-;

Ha! If the stuff I see is corrected, then the original must really be crazy. The master of awkward phrasing and overused modifiers.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the sound of the first couple articles, and watching the careers of these two athletes from a distance, it sounds to me that Mark took six years to get the Ironman figured out, mentally, emotionally, and physically. And then from that point on, he nailed it. Unlike many of pros since then, he came to Kona every single year at 100%. Not overtrained, not undertrained, not injured, not burned out. ON!

I'm sure there were many ups-and-downs behind the scenes. But am I right or wrong in the observation that from 1989 forward, Mark never had a significant error in his preparation or execution at Hawaii?

A follow-up for discussion is why hasn't anyone been able to nail it as consistently since then? Crowie might come the closest in consistency, and you can't control when your competition is going to absolutely nail it like Macca did in 2010. But no one seems to consistently show up year after year PEAKED.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone gotten the 10th episode to load? It says available 10/24 but nothing pulls up when you click on it.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That final story will be up this coming Thursday, October 31st. This one is about race day. The edit of it needed more time to give it the work that story deserved. It was a fairly intense piece for both Dave Scott and I to write. Thanks for your patience. I think you will love it!
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I know I will.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats amazing to me is that the winning times haven't changed much over the last 30 years (last 2 years being the exception) even with all the advances in triathlon equipment (swim skins, aero bikes/ wheels, tri suits, nutrition, etc)

That 8:09 time was only beat a few times over the years and only by slim margin. (again the last 2 years being the exception)
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [Yosa125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'd love to have someone do a scientific comparison of courses, equipment and different start times between then and now and see how that all affects the overall time. But regardless of all that, the race in Kona each year is always an amazing day in sports like no other!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkAllenCoach wrote:
Yes, I'd love to have someone do a scientific comparison of courses, equipment and different start times between then and now and see how that all affects the overall time. But regardless of all that, the race in Kona each year is always an amazing day in sports like no other!

The 30 minute earlier time that the pros have since around 2005 really helps the bike times. Getting further out to Hawi 30 minutes earlier is big benefit and starting the run at 11:45 am vs say 12:30 (let's assume that equipment today is 7.5 minutes faster and another 7.5 min for less wind from an earlier start) is huge in terms of how much the lava has already heated up for the run (angle of incidence of sun).

Also the old bike course had more vertical because you stayed on the QueenK all the way up to the top of the climb before dropping down towards the Keaheau Mall/Kona Surf resort. That vertical climb at the end of the bike was back breaking. Then right after that, you left T2 and had a big climb up to and and down into the pit and back before hitting Alii.

The old course was waaaaaay harder, however, I believe things are a lot better today with respect to press and other vehicles on the course, but maybe you can comment on how much distance they keep. A few years ago (actually 2012), I set up the timing station at Hawi and had to drive a van back to Kona after the first 20 pros had arrived in and left Hawi. We were given firm instructions to make sure that we quickly passed all riders and not give anyone a draft by hovering close to any action.
Quote Reply
Re: 1989 The Full Story [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
MarkAllenCoach wrote:

The 30 minute earlier time that the pros have since around 2005 really helps the bike times. Getting further out to Hawi 30 minutes earlier is big benefit and starting the run at 11:45 am vs say 12:30 (let's assume that equipment today is 7.5 minutes faster and another 7.5 min for less wind from an earlier start) is huge in terms of how much the lava has already heated up for the run (angle of incidence of sun).

Also the old bike course had more vertical because you stayed on the QueenK all the way up to the top of the climb before dropping down towards the Keaheau Mall/Kona Surf resort. That vertical climb at the end of the bike was back breaking. Then right after that, you left T2 and had a big climb up to and and down into the pit and back before hitting Alii.

The old course was waaaaaay harder, however, I believe things are a lot better today with respect to press and other vehicles on the course, but maybe you can comment on how much distance they keep. A few years ago (actually 2012), I set up the timing station at Hawi and had to drive a van back to Kona after the first 20 pros had arrived in and left Hawi. We were given firm instructions to make sure that we quickly passed all riders and not give anyone a draft by hovering close to any action.

When are you going to tell him that you think Frodeno has him covered?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear. I've been compulsively checking back several times per day. Now I can cool my jets and calmly wait. Fantastic read so far, I can't wait for the first-hand reflections on the race itself.
Quote Reply

Prev Next