Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Logistics of Kona- Help! Rent a car?
Quote | Reply
What are the key logistical tips for a first time Kona go-er for race week/ race day?

I am staying about 6 miles from the swim start.

Do you rent a car to get around on the island the week before Kona?
If not, how do you get to the grocery store/around the island?
What is parking/race area like on race morning? How do they manage crowds?

Does anyone have any other logistical tips for Kona? Logistics for getting there race morning? Logistics for spectating?

My family has been back and forth non stop on whether to rent a car or how to best plan for race week/race day. Would love some insight.
Quote Reply
Re: Logistics of Kona- Help! Rent a car? [PAtoKona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last years edition may be helpful

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ce_Edition_P6729131/

6 miles south or north? If south (Keauhou?) you could get back and forth relatively easy on a bike. I would rent a car when there not for racing but for the tourism afterwards. Your fam may be quite bored otherwise

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Logistics of Kona- Help! Rent a car? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes we are in Keauhou.

My whole family is bringing bikes, so maybe that would be sufficient?

I also don't necessarily want to ride a tonnnnn of extra miles each day. Wondering if a car would be beneficial
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it will probably be fine to ride up and down, good that your fam is into that! for their spectating, I would just warn them that once the crowds start on the run, maybe 1-ish? that it will be difficult for them to ride back to the hotel until like 4-5pm, should be fine as they will likely camp out for you.

As for you, you should be fine riding back and forth as needed, it's 6 miles, cars travel slowly, just have a plan for dropping your bike off, maybe con one family member into letting you use their bike whilst they run/walk. There is enough food and beaches in Keauhou for you to stay around there some days.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Renting a car is the only thing in HI that is not expensive, kinda weirdly cheap. There’s no way you can drive on race day though. That is an ez bike ride, frankly you’re gonna want to move around a lot so bikes would be great.
You should Rent-A-Car anyway there’s a lot to see around there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PAtoKona wrote:

My whole family is bringing bikes,

yeahhhhh ---- winning

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rent a car. I had a road bike when i went there to spectate, and i loved it on race day but the rest of the time i rented a scooter (i was alone) a car is a must. I truly believed i would ride around all week on my bike but it just doesn't happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we stayed about 1.5 from the pier on Ali'i but I rented a car so I could drive the bike course....I drove to Hawi, and my Mom drove while I rode sections back. It wasn't too expensive...I used BJs car rental. I also used it to get the rest of my family when they arrived (4 days after me). I probably wouldn't rent it if I went back, but was glad I had it as a first-timer. Good luck and have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rent a car. If you need it or want it, you have it. If not, you're screwed. (You WILL need or want it!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
minority opinion: don't rent, there's a scheduled trolley that runs regularly, all day and into mid-evening between Kona and Keauhou. And rental cars are at their all-time most expensive in Kona during race week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you plan to go back to the Big Island for a "normal" vacation in the future or are globe trotters blase about tropical islands in the middle of the Pacific, I think your family would regret not having a car to visit the other parts of the island. There's also a slight risk for you of crashing while cycling regularly on Alii. As others have written, it's a very busy road during Ironweek. Have fun!!!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 22, 19 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done it both ways and would always prefer to have a car for touring and things like grocery store. If you are 6 miles out it will be valuable to get to the IM village as well. I find riding a bike in Kona is a little scary so I may get on my bike once the entire 4 days before the race that I am there. I always try to stay within walking distance of the start. Parking near the race start for packet pick up is a bit of a hassle.

Enjoy!

Jim

Jim Lukanich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RENT A CAR. It's hot as balls out there. The rental cars are pretty cheap too, cheaper than the scooters haha
Quote Reply
Re: Logistics of Kona- Help! Rent a car? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with renting a car. Especially with many people, you'll need it to haul groceries and go to other places.

On race day, for the two times I've been there my wife has driven me on race day. You can get pretty close to the pier and just walk the rest of the way. She then drives back, and walks/rides for the rest of the day spectating. The parking that is close to the pier is probably full, and even if not, it will not be very accessible (if at all) during the race with the road closures.
Quote Reply
Re: Logistics of Kona- Help! Rent a car? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another agreement on renting a car. I stayed the Sheraton in Keauhou about 7 miles south of the pier and glad to have a car. Trips to the pier to swim, registration, a drive out north of the airport to the scenic overlook to ride north from there, etc. When in town I parked in the shopping center where Sack n' Save is and walked down Palani 3 blocks to the pier. On race day I got dropped off early and my family came down later and parked a little further up Palani at the Walmart with no problems and easy access from the Belt Road from the south. They even went back to the hotel after I headed out on the bike and came back after lunch and kayaking for the run.
Quote Reply