Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Sarah True in at 9:02ish. Seemed happy and had her wherewithal.

Question, everyone talks about Mike Reilly being the voice, but why is getting assigned to a race that isn't on a live broadcast? Kind of makes no sense to me. Webcam for the finish line is cool, but given the huge field I'm surprised the Ironman didn't maneuver here to get a full production unit spun up a few weeks ago.

The schedule was set back in March. True and Sanders were late additions to the start list, so while we would all like to see either of them try to qualify, I'm actually okay with IM doing this because they're spreading out the coverage; 7/17 of the races they're covering are in the US. It was a fresh change to see them focusing on a WPro race like Copenhagen today and giving those Pros some of the exposure.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
Wow Lester murdered this race at 8:48:26. Temps currently show 79ºF (26ºC) and cloud coverage.

If there is a year she has a shot at top 5 in Kona, this might be it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [andrewhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewhtx wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Sarah True in at 9:02ish. Seemed happy and had her wherewithal.

Question, everyone talks about Mike Reilly being the voice, but why is getting assigned to a race that isn't on a live broadcast? Kind of makes no sense to me. Webcam for the finish line is cool, but given the huge field I'm surprised the Ironman didn't maneuver here to get a full production unit spun up a few weeks ago.

The schedule was set back in March. True and Sanders were late additions to the start list, so while we would all like to see either of them try to qualify, I'm actually okay with IM doing this because they're spreading out the coverage; 7/17 of the races they're covering are in the US. It was a fresh change to see them focusing on a WPro race like Copenhagen today and giving those Pros some of the exposure.

That question wasn't specifically about Lionel or Sarah. But more the overall depth of the field for both men and women. Otherwise, why isn't Mike at Copenhagen or whatever?

Awhile back people would talk about the Mike Reilly experience of having your name called out and how that could draw people to certain races. And some folks on here stated that they did not care who was the finish line announcer. Does he have a published schedule?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He publishes a schedule on his website every year. You can even vote on venues he will attend. It can't imagine it has anything to do with live broadcasts or the pros. It's all about the AGer's getting their name called by Mike Reilly. I wouldn't be surprised if some people choose races based on if he will be announcing or not (especially for the one and done'rs)
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke with Mike last year at Tremblant, his wife travels with him to this race, they love the venue which is why he comes coming back.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
I haven't been the biggest fan of hers since the whole Frankfurt debacle. But I am really happy she Kona KQ'ed. I like to see the greatest talent going head to head in Kona and I do think this is going to be a spectacular year to watch both in the men's and women's fields.

Agree, although I wonder how much energy she'll have for Kona, it will be her 4th IM in 4 months.

Edit: Gotta keep the sponsors happy
Last edited by: Mike.A: Aug 18, 19 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
He publishes a schedule on his website every year. You can even vote on venues he will attend. It can't imagine it has anything to do with live broadcasts or the pros. It's all about the AGer's getting their name called by Mike Reilly. I wouldn't be surprised if some people choose races based on if he will be announcing or not (especially for the one and done'rs)

Awesome. If I ever do another Ironman I can avoid listening to his tired schtick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See it now, cool. Not sure him calling my name will ever get me to a race, but this does give me some ideas.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopefully while Talbot is also at IMMT he gets to interview True with Sanders. Find out what she did differently this time, or if it was same as Frankfurt but she just pushed through.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [andrewhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewhtx wrote:
I'm actually okay with IM doing this because they're spreading out the coverage; 7/17 of the races they're covering are in the US. It was a fresh change to see them focusing on a WPro race like Copenhagen today and giving those Pros some of the exposure.

That's great but this race wasn't in the US.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Trigirl357 wrote:
Wow Lester murdered this race at 8:48:26. Temps currently show 79ºF (26ºC) and cloud coverage.

If there is a year she has a shot at top 5 in Kona, this might be it.

This, so this!

My coach has been on a few training rides with her and her husband Scott Defilippis. Apparently she is just as much of an animal on the bike as Scott is...and today proved it. Scott 4:42:51 / Carrie 4:48:21 (out front on her own). Scott gets 5th overall and Carrie gets 7th.

She has a great shot of a top 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
hopefully while Talbot is also at IMMT he gets to interview True with Sanders. Find out what she did differently this time, or if it was same as Frankfurt but she just pushed through.
Easy: she managed to finish this time. [pink]
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
synthetic wrote:

She went high carb in this one instead of keto. Look into it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
synthetic wrote:

It was 20° cooler.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI Guys! Figured I would chime in here with a bit of perspective for you on Carrie as she doesn't visit the site. In my opinion this was the best race of her career! I knew she was going to go well but not this well! She rode 8-10mins faster then I had expected and to run 3:03 on this course (shutting it down the last 10km) is a sign she is coming into the shape of her life for Kona! OH and she is the bike monster in the relationship, clearly not me hahaha. My body was off for much of the day yesterday but nonetheless, for her to ride through half the men's field, and be hot on my heels all day, Yikes!

The decision for us to come here and race was a really hard one as we typically race Embrunman on August 15th. The prize purse in Embrun is one of the best in the world. Even with Carrie winning and me 5th here, similar efforts at Embrun would have grossed us at least $20k more, that's a lot of cheese for long distance triathlete now a days. Not to mention the effort of having to travel from our base in Switzerland and back as Carrie will race 70.3 worlds and then Ventouxman the following weekend.

However, this entire year's focus has been around getting her to Kona in top shape so she can go for a real crack at top 5 as this will most likely be her last race there. I believe Embrun gives her a boost like no other race but it also takes a tremendous amount of mental energy out of you, which may take away from energy one needs in Kona. On top of which, the bike course here in Mt. Tremblant is very similar to Kona, and she really wanted to come and practice her Time Trialing as we don't do much of it most of the summer being based in the mountains.

Carrie is a hard athlete to please, which in part is why she is so good, but I'd say she is finally 100% confident that when she steps on the line in Koa she has the best possible equipment, has the confidence with 2 Ironman wins this season, and will be in the shape of her life.

One last thing to chew on, the Pro race in Kona is like the High School Prom, most think they are going to get lucky, but only the top 10 do and 6-10th have regrets. Finishing outside the top 5 doesn't move the needle much at all and if she doesn't crack it, I reckon she'll wake up the next day and say, "Screw it, I'll race in AZ again"....

No regrets coming here despite the possible income loss as the organizers are really top notch here from top to bottom, we were able to share the course with 6 of our KIS Teammates, and my folks (who we haven't seen since Christmas) made the trip but from NJ. So all in all a great trip and hopefully if we decide next year to have one more crack at Embrun, we are welcome to return!

Scott DeFilippis
Professional Triathlete
Coach and Co/Founder
KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine being tired of his "schtick" of being a super positive person and a great ambassador for triathlon. Who cares if the phrase is corny?

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [sdiycdiycdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdiycdiycdi wrote:
<snip>One last thing to chew on, the Pro race in Kona is like the High School Prom, most think they are going to get lucky, but only the top 10 do and 6-10th have regrets.<snip>

That's a brilliant analogy :) :D

Dont complain about the results you did n't get from the training you did n't do.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
Imagine being tired of his "schtick" of being a super positive person and a great ambassador for triathlon. Who cares if the phrase is corny?

Some of us don't like the "American" style of commentating. Maybe it's a cultural thing.
However, loads of my Canadian friends are into the Mike Reilly thing so meh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She’s working with sports physicians which is good. I hope she does well in Kona.

Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
She’s working with sports physicians which is good. I hope she does well in Kona.

Ya, I really like Sarah and hope she has a great race in Kona. Thanks for posting. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Some of us don't like the "American" style of commentating. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

The constant name dropping of sponsors in American sports coverage gets on my nerves a bit - it's something we never get on UK TV. I watched the Indy 500 a couple of years ago and I actually felt sorry for the US viewers - in the UK we got the race in full with no ad breaks - but it was with american commentary so there was large gaps of silence while the US had their commercials.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah True Kona Slot Watch [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p9ul wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

The constant name dropping of sponsors in American sports coverage gets on my nerves a bit - it's something we never get on UK TV. I watched the Indy 500 a couple of years ago and I actually felt sorry for the US viewers - in the UK we got the race in full with no ad breaks - but it was with american commentary so there was large gaps of silence while the US had their commercials.

That’s one of the reasons why soccer is not popular in the U.S. They can’t put many commercial breaks during the game.
Quote Reply

Prev Next