Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer / gym in basement with exposed insulation?
Quote | Reply
I just moved to a new place (renting) and am setting up my trainer and weights, etc. in the unfinished basement. The walls and ceiling are covered with insulation- probably 95% is covered with plastic but there are some spots of exposed insulation. Does anyone know if this poses a significant health risk? I do plan to put in lots of Zwifting hours. TIA.
Last edited by: adnama: Aug 15, 19 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer / gym in basement with exposed insulation? [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer is depends!
Where is the house located?
What age is the house?
Do you know what the insulation is - blown-in cellulose; fiberglass; vermiculite; or unknown?
What condition is the exposed insulation in?

Consider that you are likely going to have fans blowing and will be breathing very heavily in this enclosed space. If the insulation is in poor condition you will end up breathing some in, how bad this is depends on what material the insulation is and it’s condition.
In any case fixing the holes in the plastic to seal away the insulation would be an easy preventative measure.

(My day job to pay for my tri habit is as an environmental consultant dealing with property development, which includes renovation of older buildings with their incumbent hazardous materials)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer / gym in basement with exposed insulation? [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A roll of visqueen and a staple gun is all you need...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer / gym in basement with exposed insulation? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I did say fixing the holes in the plastic to seal the insulation was an easy measure.
But - knowing what you are dealing with is also important.
A second consideration in the basement is ensuring that there is adequate ventilation so you are not creating a humid environment with all your sweating that can then lead to mold growth - depending on your individual susceptibility that can lead to problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breathing in ANY type of insulation is not good, but sucking in fiberglass deep into your lungs while exercising is definitely hazardous.

No reason to train in your basement at all. Train on the first floor. But l don't even do that, l create so much heat on a stationary trainer that l set it up outside even in freezing temps. Plus, the air is cleaner...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer / gym in basement with exposed insulation? [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback!

The house is 20 years old, in Colorado, presumably insulation was put in at that time and seems in mostly good condition. I can't figure out the type, but it's yellow, if that's helpful at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing its standard fiberglass insulation (its usually pink or yellow). As long as you aren't handling it, you should be fine. If you do need to move it adjust it whatever, make sure you wear googles, mask and gloves. The small fibers can get in your eyes and lungs then make your hands itchy. If the insulation itself isn't being moved, those fibers stay put.

That plastic cover you see on it is basically just a vapor barrier to prevent mold once the sheet rock is installed.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Aug 16, 19 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What AndysStrognAle said.

Given the age of the house the most you have to worry about is the itchiness of fiberglass when handling it.
If the holes are big enough that you are worried about the fiberglass material falling on you as you train then I would patch the plastic, otherwise don't worry about it.
Quote Reply