Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator"
Quote | Reply
WaPo:

By Damian Paletta and Philip Rucker
August 15 at 2:44 PM

President Trump personally pressed Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to label China as a “currency manipulator” two weeks ago, a move Mnuchin had previously resisted, three people with direct knowledge of the push said.
The pressure from Trump revealed a more forceful West Wing role in the highly controversial decision. Mnuchin had repeatedly refused to designate China as a currency manipulation because China’s currency moves didn’t meet the Treasury’s established criteria for that action.
But Trump exerted immense pressure on him earlier this month, after the Chinese let their currency, the yuan, crossed a symbolic threshold that it had not passed in some time.
This came after an escalation in the trade conflict when Trump announced he would be putting a 10 percent tariff on $300 billion in additional Chinese exports, and the Chinese pledged retaliation. (This week Trump delayed some of those new tariffs out of concern for what they’d to do the U.S. economy during the holiday period.)
The Chinese yuan has been weakening this year, but there have been differing explanations as to why. Trump has alleged that the Chinese government has intentionally weakened its currency to gain an advantage over U.S. companies. When a company weakens their currency, it makes their exports cheaper and more competitive.
But a number of international economic experts have said that the Chinese currency has weakened because of independent market forces, including a worsening of the Chinese economy. The Treasury Department has declined as recently as May to name China a currency manipulator even though Trump has raised concerns since before he was president.
There are two federal laws that dictate the treasury secretary’s power to label certain countries as currency manipulators. Currency ma­nipu­la­tion often draws a strong international response, because it can skew currency and trade markets and create distortions in how goods flow around the world.

The federal laws that empower the treasury secretary to label a country a “currency manipulator” are meant to protect the process from political interference, and they set out specific criteria that must be met in order for the designations to occur.

In the Aug. 5 designation, Treasury officials did not specify what had changed following their May 28 announcement that cleared China. Instead, it pointed to public statements from the Chinese government as a way of affirming an active government role in controlling the currency.
“In recent days, China has taken concrete steps to devalue its currency, while maintaining substantial foreign exchange reserves despite active use of such tools in the past,” Treasury said. “The context of these actions and the implausibility of China’s market stability rationale confirm that the purpose of China’s currency devaluation is to gain an unfair competitive advantage in international trade.”
White House and Treasury Department spokesmen declined to comment.
One of the people with knowledge of Trump’s pressure on Mnuchin said the White House wanted China labeled as a currency manipulator so that it prod Chinese officials back to the negotiating table. This has proven unsuccessful so far. Instead, it has inflamed tensions between the two countries.
The three people spoke to The Washington Post on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to reveal the discussions.
As a practical matter, labeling China as a currency manipulator simply begins a process of discussions between the Treasury Department and International Monetary Fund, though the IMF has declined to agree with Treasury’s designation.
Trump has increasingly complained that the strong U.S. dollar is hurting the U.S. economy. He has blamed this dynamic both on the Chinese government and the Federal Reserve, though many businesses and investors have said it is a result of the White House’s adversarial trade agenda.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator" [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get why this happens, but boy is it sure getting old.

"The three people spoke to The Washington Post on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to reveal the discussions."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator" [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this case it's likely they are Treasury officials who want to keep their jobs post-Trump, but disagree with what he is doing and how. I know a few of them who work in Treasury specifically involved in this process. They are very bright people who have distinguished careers. I wouldn't criticize them for "whistle-blowing" about what's really going on behind the scenes, anonymously.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator" [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand why it happens at a agency level. These people have families, they are getting paid good (not great/can retire right now money). They have to keep their jobs. Some of them are prob even a couple of years away from pensions. It would be REALLY hard to speak up now if you were 5 years away from getting a pension.

Especially if you were 1-2 years away in a government appointed position (and not knowing when the next GOP president could come up).
Quote Reply
Re: Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator" [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past, whenever a quote came out from someone "close to the President, but not authorized to talk", it almost always came from the president himself. Back when we had presidents who understood when to separate official positions from unofficial ones. So I would guess it cam from Mnuchin himself working to protect himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Labelling China a "currency manipulator" was one of Trump's campaign promises. He finally achieved this promise after two and a half years in office. Now, five months later, he's reversing that decision.

I guess it's a positive that Trump is willing to reverse course and correct a mistake (China did not meet the Treasury's criteria to be labelled a currency manipulator), and help reduce tensions between the US and China. Not sure his base will be happy about another broken campaign promise though.

Paging griffin82...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Labelling China a "currency manipulator" was one of Trump's campaign promises. He finally achieved this promise after two and a half years in office. Now, five months later, he's reversing that decision.

I guess it's a positive that Trump is willing to reverse course and correct a mistake (China did not meet the Treasury's criteria to be labelled a currency manipulator), and help reduce tensions between the US and China. Not sure his base will be happy about another broken campaign promise though.

Paging griffin82...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course all of the above was only half the story. The other half was the amount of pressure he was attempting to bring to bear on the Fed to lower interest rates and suppress the USD.

Trump would love to manipulate the currency himself, and has made no secret of it. Like so many of his public tantrums, this was about his frustration with the checks on his own ability to do whatever he wants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Paging griffin82...

I haven't seen Chatbot82 since we all pointed out publicly that he's likely the same person at Chatbot305. Pretty sure he's been banned. Again.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's still here. Been posting in the "who will you vote for in 20" thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Q: Should we label you a murderer?
A: Well, I'm not murdering anybody right now!
Quote Reply
Re: Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator" [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you think he may have been banned since he logged on an hour ago?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

I'm not in favor of banning. Constant bashing yes, banning no.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator" [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Well I think it depends if someone is constantly spamming or trolling and having an overall negative impact on the community. But I'm more curious if Dan knows that griffin82 is gphin305 and has endorsed his return, or is just unaware. Or maybe Dan's just getting soft...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Lol. No, I was referring to the "currency manipulator" accusation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
j p o wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Well I think it depends if someone is constantly spamming or trolling and having an overall negative impact on the community. But I'm more curious if Dan knows that griffin82 is gphin305 and has endorsed his return, or is just unaware. Or maybe Dan's just getting soft...

That's why you don't engage him, just mock him. Until he actually displays a thought of his own there is no reason to ask him questions and every reason to point and laugh.

Almost everyone else has something to add. There are people that I have thought were completely devoid of personality or humor that still come through from time to time. griphin30852 has never offered a shred of humanity and deserves no more respect than any other automated chatbot.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator" [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   I took it more as a carrots and sticks thing; Trump got the designation, and (theoretically) was able to turn it into a carrot in negotiations.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump pressured Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator" [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
I took it more as a carrots and sticks thing; Trump got the designation, and (theoretically) was able to turn it into a carrot in negotiations.

To re-cap:
- Trump imposes tariffs
- The CNY weakens in response
- China intervenes by buying its currency to prevent its currency from weakening too much
- Trump accuses China of intentionally weakening its currency
- Trump labels China a "currency manipulator" when USD-CNY is trading at 6.8950
- Trump drops that label when USD-CNY is trading at...(wait for it)... 6.8930

Anyway, I don't disagree that this has been used as part of the negotiations (though I'm unconvinced how much China cared), and the currency clause in the trade deal is a good PR win for Trump. But in practice China is unlikely to encourage its currency notably weaker for fear of triggering destabilizing capital outflows, as occurred in 2016.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
He's still here. Been posting in the "who will you vote for in 20" thread.
How touching that Christmas day was his registration day. A finer present under my tree I have never received.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
j p o wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Softness grows stronger with each year of approaching old age. Dan's Christmas gift to gphin is my take. So said the old blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Quote Reply