Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weird Rules [terrtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
USAT specifically told me this applies:
3.3 General Conduct. At or during an event, or while at the event site, all participants must:

a. Act in compliance with these Competitive Rules;
b. Conduct themselves in a manner that is not offensive in any way to fellow participants, spectators, officials or volunteers and is considered reasonable and acceptable in the community;

I don't think this is a weird rule, but I do think it's a weird interpretation. However, I could totally understand a National Federation requiring their elite athletes to behave a certain way (as they are representing their country on an international stage)… but that would be in the relationship between the athlete and the NF, not in the competition rules…

--
darrylh, vancouver, bc.
it's not about being really good at one sport, it's about being just a little better than average in three. oh, and it's about gadgets. buying lots and lots of expensive gadgets.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:

Why is this nutty? It seems perfectly logical to me.

Tongue-in-cheek. It's not nutty. Just that triathlon is apparently a bit of an outlier in operating almost year-round vs. most other sports which have distinct seasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cyclocross has even stranger age rules. UCI rules state that racing age is 12/31 of the calendar year in which World Championsips are held. CX is mostly a fall/winter sports with Worlds in early Feb. So, everyone advances 10 + months from there to get their racing age.
Everyone's racing age is basically 1yr + and can be 2.
This year for the early season I'll be 53 racing as a 55 year old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response... When you say "USAT" I assume you mean a USAT official at a race. I am not aware when USAT rules superseded the USA Constitution - specifically Amendment 1. I fear an over zealous, patriotic, but uneducated Official informed you that this is a "rule." I have spoken to two USAT Regional Coordinators of Officials and they both inform me that you are free to do what ever you wish to express your Constitutional rights- stand - sit- kneel- lay down etc. during the playing of our National Anthem.

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It lets you complete at one age for an entire season. "

Unless you're from Australian or New Zealand or Brazil or Peru or South Africa or Indonesia or....you get my drift?
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
"It lets you complete at one age for an entire season. "

Unless you're from Australian or New Zealand or Brazil or Peru or South Africa or Indonesia or....you get my drift?

Oh, I'm not picking the exact date. Individual locales can pick their own based on their own seasons.. Except when it comes to international competition.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
Thanks for your response... When you say "USAT" I assume you mean a USAT official at a race. I am not aware when USAT rules superseded the USA Constitution - specifically Amendment 1. I fear an over zealous, patriotic, but uneducated Official informed you that this is a "rule." I have spoken to two USAT Regional Coordinators of Officials and they both inform me that you are free to do what ever you wish to express your Constitutional rights- stand - sit- kneel- lay down etc. during the playing of our National Anthem.

Hope this helps

Thanks, I was misinformed.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
How about Competition Age being how old you are on Dec 31 instead of just, you know, you're actual age

Also, got yelled at for my jersey being fully unzipped, which seems a bit asinine in 90+ degree weather

Rule: Uniforms with a front zipper may be unzipped to any length, provided, that (i) the zipper should be connected at the bottom of the uniform at all times.

The zipper rule is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever seen in sports! I had a volunteer threaten to DQ me at Buffalo Springs one year until I stopped running and showed him that my zipper was actually at the bottom of my sternum. We run races like that in 100 degrees, should be allowed to go shirtless, That same year, I saw the male and female winner of Kona crossing the finish line unzipped. Women are allowed to run in just a sports bra, but men have to be pretty much all zipped up in a tri top. Pointless rules like this make me want to quit triathlon and just be a runner sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [altissimotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altissimotri wrote:
The zipper rule is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever seen in sports! I had a volunteer threaten to DQ me at Buffalo Springs one year until I stopped running and showed him that my zipper was actually at the bottom of my sternum.

Slight side discussion but the volunteer (note that, as in the person that had got up at some daft o'clock to come and be present with the other volunteers to allow you to race for no personal reward) had been asked / given a role that was to apply the rule under which you had agreed to race. So that was the full book. Rules that they may have disagreed with as much as you did, but the rules are set by the governing body and get changed by rules committees. What I'm saying is don't shoot the messenger here.

And yes, I've been in situations where as a Technical Official / Assistant Ref at a race the senior ref asked someone to do his zip up (it was at navel). He grumbled, argued then pulled up and in a blatant way then immediately pulled it down again as he ran off. At end of the race the ref pulled him over after he'd crossed the line (we know when people are racing, 'red mist' comes on) to have a chat. It was a local minor race, but we applied the rules there for the reason that we had a fair few first timers, but an equal number of people that were using it as training for nationals. So we wanted to help them out by constructively teaching them the rules and the way we applied at national level so they didn't end up being DQ'd from national podium for something they did every other week of the season with no comment from us as the same refs. Consistency is a key request for refs of all sports. Anyway, the guy was still shirty (sorry, pun intended) and started getting a bit agro. So this conversation about the rules ended up escalating to the point where he was fully DQ'd from the race.

I also ended up losing several really good refs from the sport due to parents responses to rules being correctly applied. Again, these were parents to kids competing at development squad level. And that ended up meaning that not only did I and the remaining other qualified ref in the region having to ref pretty much every weekend over the season, including up to 3 hour drives each way, but sometimes races couldn't happen as there were already 2 other events booked in for that day.

So whilst there will be differing views on some rules, fundamentally they almost all come back to safety in some way with a few to allow even competition between athletes, and are all written as 'rules' to be able to be applied consistently. If you really feel passionate about them, then get your club to nominate you for membership of your national rules committee or however your region does that. That's the only way to change them. Disregarding them or arguing with the people who are out making the event happen for you to race is not effective or constructive for the sport or yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
altissimotri wrote:

The zipper rule is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever seen in sports! I had a volunteer threaten to DQ me at Buffalo Springs one year until I stopped running and showed him that my zipper was actually at the bottom of my sternum.

Slight side discussion but the volunteer (note that, as in the person that had got up at some daft o'clock to come and be present with the other volunteers to allow you to race for no personal reward) had been asked / given a role that was to apply the rule under which you had agreed to race. So that was the full book. Rules that they may have disagreed with as much as you did, but the rules are set by the governing body and get changed by rules committees. What I'm saying is don't shoot the messenger here.

And yes, I've been in situations where as a Technical Official / Assistant Ref at a race the senior ref asked someone to do his zip up (it was at navel). He grumbled, argued then pulled up and in a blatant way then immediately pulled it down again as he ran off. At end of the race the ref pulled him over after he'd crossed the line (we know when people are racing, 'red mist' comes on) to have a chat. It was a local minor race, but we applied the rules there for the reason that we had a fair few first timers, but an equal number of people that were using it as training for nationals. So we wanted to help them out by constructively teaching them the rules and the way we applied at national level so they didn't end up being DQ'd from national podium for something they did every other week of the season with no comment from us as the same refs. Consistency is a key request for refs of all sports. Anyway, the guy was still shirty (sorry, pun intended) and started getting a bit agro. So this conversation about the rules ended up escalating to the point where he was fully DQ'd from the race.

Is a volunteer even able to DQ someone? Shouldn't that be an official's call?

Also I am assuming for a moment that you are talking about a "local race" run under USAT rules, in which case there is no zipper, or even a shirt rule. USAT doesn't stop people from racing shirtless. The WTC has that rule though, and even this year they relaxed it so that you can have the zipper down as far as it will go, as long as the jersey stays together at the bottom (i.e. no flapping)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
I am a former USAT Cat 1 Official - can you please show me in the rules of competition where this is, as I have never read or seen this written? Thanks

Which rule are you referring to when you say “this”?
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you read the thread? It is explained in there.

Tks

Graham Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
altissimotri wrote:

So whilst there will be differing views on some rules, fundamentally they almost all come back to safety in some way with a few to allow even competition between athletes, and are all written as 'rules' to be able to be applied consistently. If you really feel passionate about them, then get your club to nominate you for membership of your national rules committee or however your region does that. That's the only way to change them. Disregarding them or arguing with the people who are out making the event happen for you to race is not effective or constructive for the sport or yourself.
I get your overall point but I would argue in hot conditions the zipper rule is antithetical to safety. More surface area of your body exposed = more cooling. Altissimo is right, the rule is a bunch of BS. Zip it up in the finish chute for your sponsors if you're pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
Did you read the thread? It is explained in there.

Tks

No, it isn’t. There are a bunch of rules addressed up thread of your comment, and since you replied instead of quoting, can’t tell which of the rules you’re referring to. It was a simple question, no need to be defensive. Just tell us which of the myriad silly rules you were referring to.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP stated he did not like the USAT rule about standing for the National Anthem - I requested for him to tell me which rule - he responded 3.3 b - Conduct - I informed him that standing for the National Anthem is NOT a USAT rule - but his right to express Amendment 1.

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
The OP stated he did not like the USAT rule about standing for the National Anthem - I requested for him to tell me which rule - he responded 3.3 b - Conduct - I informed him that standing for the National Anthem is NOT a USAT rule - but his right to express Amendment 1.

Hope this helps

Thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:

Hope this helps

Since usat is private company, that means usat rules override first ammendment , no?
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT isn't a private company, it operates under the USOC, which exists pursuant to a congressional charter.

I won't pretend it's cut and dried, because it's really not, but the First Amendment constrains the federal government as well as its agencies, departments, etc. To what extent that applies to entities it creates but does not run is a complicated question, but the answer is not "not at all." There's an extensive discussion of the topic in Lebron v. National Passenger Railway Corporation if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Rules [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a constitution scholar - however - you are correct that First Amendment rights are not the same for private company employees as in the public sector. But racers are not USAT employees, and as previously stated, USAT does NOT have a rule necessitating racers to stand for the National Anthem.

Graham Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
AlyraD wrote:
I didn't know that was a rule, but I feel ya. I hate the anthem being played for EVERY. SINGLE. THING. I continue to get ready and then stare at all the people as its going on wondering if they are tired of this shit as much as I am.

I think the whole national anthem thing is over done and even borderline Facist.

It comes from insecurity.
Quote Reply

Prev Next