Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barcelona - any tips?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Taking on my first Iron distance Tri in Spain in a few short weeks.

Training been going very well (following the 80/20 plan), still no-where near race weight as prescribed by Slowtwitch though..

For those that have raced there, does anyone have any insider tips on the course?

I plan on seeding with the 1 hour swimmers (this is a realistic target for me) then taking it very easy on the bike and run (low zone 2 HR - no power meter).
Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona - any tips? [Poldarn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Practice your Drafting technique
Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona - any tips? [UpandDown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UpandDown wrote:
Practice your Drafting technique

This actually worries me.. in every tri I have done (only a handful of sprints and olympics and one 70.3) I have seen pretty rampant cheating in the form of drafting, outside assistance etc.

I do my best to stay clean but admittedly some of the vids I have seen from Barcelona make it seem worse than I have seen before.

Ah well, location chosen by my better half so we get a family holiday after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a lot of draft packs there but also some large groups of people in the penalty tents. But you can race pretty cleanly and still go fast there. If you catch on to the end of a train, just try to keep making passes. Odds are you'll still be in a decent shape power-wise.

The year I did it, my swim was about 5 minutes faster than I predicted. Not sure if it was just a good day for me or if the course was actually a little short. Bike - pretty much easy, just be careful the first km or so out of transition as there are several speed bumps getting out of town. The run is on a hard packed dirt trail which is mostly pretty good. There's a small section on pavement.

All day long was very comfortable weather when I was there, about 16C in the morning, high of about 22C.

It's a great venue. Easy for the spectators too as there are tunnels going under the road to get to the beach. So spectators can cross without getting in the way of racers.
Last edited by: spudone: Aug 15, 19 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poldarn wrote:
Training been going very well (following the 80/20 plan), still no-where near race weight as prescribed by Slowtwitch though..

But are you in ketosis?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Barcelona - any tips? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
I saw a lot of draft packs there but also some large groups of people in the penalty tents. But you can race pretty cleanly and still go fast there. If you catch on to the end of a train, just try to keep making passes. Odds are you'll still be in a decent shape power-wise.

The year I did it, my swim was about 5 minutes faster than I predicted. Not sure if it was just a good day for me or if the course was actually a little short. Bike - pretty much easy, just be careful the first km or so out of transition as there are several speed bumps getting out of town. The run is on a hard packed dirt trail which is mostly pretty good. There's a small section on pavement.

All day long was very comfortable weather when I was there, about 16C in the morning, high of about 22C.

It's a great venue. Easy for the spectators too as there are tunnels going under the road to get to the beach. So spectators can cross without getting in the way of racers.

Thanks! What year did you compete?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my 2nd IM and had heard the drafting was bad but didn't think it could be as bad as i had heard. It was worse..
Note course last year had an extra little loop on bike to bring distance up to 181km (was previously ~176km).

We had a rough swim last year but even still it's a lovely swim. Sea very clear and buoyant.
Bike surface is great. I tried to beat the packs and burnt a few matches. If i was you just let them off and ignore and don't let it frustrate you. In fairness there was loads of lads in tents but won't get near all off them. Fairly boring course tbh. Had done CPH before and enjoyed
Also it is a few before you are fully out of the streets and onto the bike course proper. Also we had a little bit of rain which made these streets slippy on the return and seen a few people have some crashes on some of the tight corners.
Run is lovely and flat and the loops makes it easy for family & friends to follow you.

The area itself is very family friendly. I brought wife and 2 kids and worked out well. We stayed 3-4km away from race venue just to stay away from it all pre race.
Loads of nice spots to eat and very reasonable prices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poldarn wrote:
spudone wrote:

Thanks! What year did you compete?

2015 before the course went inland - so it was even less elevation.
Quote Reply