Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump owns this economy? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
BLeP wrote:
I think that you are missing the whole point of this thread.

Trump and his acolytes are claiming that he is fucking awesome because of the economy. The economy is great because of Trump.

If/when the economy goes to shit, that's also on him. He owned the upswing, he also owns the downswing.

Now continue on with your silly "Presidents don't affect the economy on a grand scale" banter. Obviously they don't but that isn't the point.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss trade disputes with China and calling out the Fed to decrease rates faster not affecting the economy on a grand scale. He IS trying to affect the economy on a grand scale.

Trump just tweeted:

"The United States is now, by far, the Biggest, Strongest and Most Powerful Economy in the World, it is not even close! As others falter, we will only get stronger. Consumers are in the best shape ever, plenty of cash. Business Optimism is at an All Time High!"

Hate to break it to him, but the Philly Fed Business Outlook survey is not at an all time high, and nor is the NFIB Small Business Optimism Index, so not sure which survey he's looking at. I guess it could be that he's not telling the truth...

Still, it seems that he wants to take credit for this fabulous economy we are enjoying, so I'm puzzled why he's so desperate for the Fed to cut rates.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
windywave wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
S&P 500 in the first 646 trading days of each presidency
Ronald Reagan +21%
George H.W. Bush +35%
Bill Clinton +29%
George W. Bush -25%
Barack Obama +39%
Donald Trump +25%

Tweetrump is in 4th place out of the past 6 presidents in the last 40 years. And that was before the 800 point drop. He might be below Reagan now.

A) the Dow is for retail
B) your statistics are pointless for this conversation

Bwahaha. Tell Tweetrump that. Fake News.

Confirming your TDS publicly is the first step to a cure

You could have just written "my 401k is up so I'm voting for Trump" which is the usual retort when someone calls him out for being a dickhead. So now it is pointless in a conversation about Tweetrump owning the economy. Hmmmm.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. The president any president (not deflecting Danno look through my posting history) has little to do with the economy. The electorate doesn't realize that, but that is a different conversation.

But that's not at all obvious to almost every single Trump supporter here who repeatedly give him direct credit for the economy.

My guess is that if the economy tanks, the Republicans will suddenly realize (*admit*) that it's not the President or Party in power that determines the performance of the economy, but that is certainly not at all what they have been saying for the last 2 years.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Aug 15, 19 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Most Americans are going to blame/praise the Prez. Remember how great those Clinton economic years were?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
To me, its just easy to see from the other side. If the economy now was growing at a 4% clip, then everyone would be saying that Trump's deregulations/tax cuts "primed the pump" and let the economy blossom.

However, the economy is now growing at the same, and is predicted to grow at a lower rate than Obama's (while further increasing the deficit because the tax cuts/tarriffs are not paying for themselves).

its stupid to look at the below chart and say that trump's tax cuts initially allowed to economy to grow very rapidly (as predicted) but then would tail off to less than 2% annual growth, which would not pay for itself. Its silly to look at graphs as those shown below and say "trump has nothing to do with it." it also makes sense to say in the first 1-2 years (before any legislation was passed) to say that trump sitting in the Oval office doesnt impact anything.

To further see things you would need to see a global chart of the relative economies growing/slowing. I

"So we're at 3.3 percent GDP. I see no reason why we don't go to 4 percent, 5 percent, and even 6 percent."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Regardless of what the economy does over the next few years, do we agree that Trump owns it? After the trend lines for most economic indicators carried on from the Obama years into the Trump Presidency, it seemed that at some point it had to become “Trump’s” as his policies were enacted and took hold.

Is it safe to assume that we’ll all agree that at this point it’s definitely Trump’s economy?

What does this mean? You're going to give Trump all the credit if the stock market goes on to hit new highs this year?
Count me as not convinced.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Charlie, a quarter inch the other way and it would have gone in"

Its just silly to me that trump didnt realize that the economy could also go in the other direction
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree with the most part the POTUS has little to do...

but if he takes credit for it.. when times are good = he owns it all the same when it goes south.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:

Its just silly to me that trump didnt realize that the economy could also go in the other direction

TweetTrump tweeted today “The Fake News Media is doing everything they can to crash the economy because they think that will be bad for me and my re-election,”.

See. It isn't his fault. Was the feds. Was Congress. Now it is the Fake News that is at fault. But definitely not Donnie Dumbass.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

TweetTrump tweeted today “The Fake News Media is doing everything they can to crash the economy because they think that will be bad for me and my re-election,”.

See. It isn't his fault. Was the feds. Was Congress. Now it is the Fake News that is at fault. But definitely not Donnie Dumbass.

Well how could it be his fault? He's the most successful. most self-made businessman in the history of this country! There are obviously other forces at work here, dragging his MAGA plans down!

Side note - if you look at a ranking of wealthy people (world or US), Trump is WAAAYYYY down on that list. Yet somehow, he's managed to cement himself in the psyche of a large chunk of the American populace as the epitome of rags-to-(mega)-riches success. Fucking bizarre.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idiots gonna idiot.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

Well how could it be his fault? He's the most successful. most self-made businessman in the history of this country! There are obviously other forces at work here, dragging his MAGA plans down!

Side note - if you look at a ranking of wealthy people (world or US), Trump is WAAAYYYY down on that list. Yet somehow, he's managed to cement himself in the psyche of a large chunk of the American populace as the epitome of rags-to-(mega)-riches success. Fucking bizarre.

He pretends to be losing a ton of money to serve as our favorite president. It's a tremendous sacrifice.
“It's probably costing me from $3 to $5 billion for the privilege of being — and I couldn't care less—I don’t care. You know if you’re wealthy, it doesn't matter. I just want to do a great job,” Trump added.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Regardless of what the economy does over the next few years, do we agree that Trump owns it? After the trend lines for most economic indicators carried on from the Obama years into the Trump Presidency, it seemed that at some point it had to become “Trump’s” as his policies were enacted and took hold.

Is it safe to assume that we’ll all agree that at this point it’s definitely Trump’s economy?

Tweetwump agrees. Yesterday, he said …

“I won the election, the markets went up thousands of points, things started happening,” Trump said at a rally here. “If, for some reason, I were not to have won the election, these markets would have crashed. That will happen even more so in 2020. You have no choice but to vote for me, because your 401(k), everything is going to be down the tubes.”
“Whether you love me or hate me, you have got to vote for me,” he added.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

Tweetwump agrees. Yesterday, he said …

“I won the election, the markets went up thousands of points, things started happening,” Trump said at a rally here. “If, for some reason, I were not to have won the election, these markets would have crashed. That will happen even more so in 2020. You have no choice but to vote for me, because your 401(k), everything is going to be down the tubes.”
“Whether you love me or hate me, you have got to vote for me,” he added.

And over here I have some snake oil, it will cure anything that ails you, only $1.99....
Quote Reply
Re: Trump owns this economy? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

He pretends to be losing a ton of money to serve as our favorite president. It's a tremendous sacrifice.
“It's probably costing me from $3 to $5 billion for the privilege of being — and I couldn't care less—I don’t care. You know if you’re wealthy, it doesn't matter. I just want to do a great job,” Trump added.

He's so selfless.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next