Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Talk with me about mattresses for chronic low back pain.
Quote | Reply
I herniated a disc (L4, L5) maybe four, five years ago, and ever since then my low back has been weak and uncomfortable at best, and debilitatingly painful at worst (mostly just weak and uncomfortable, thankfully). It's been particularly bad for the past 10 months or so after it really went out mid-October and hasn't fully recovered yet, even to it's normally simply weak and uncomfortable state. I'm suspecting that my mattress is a primary culprit. The mattress has a permanent dip on my side of it and doesn't feel like it gives a lot of support. I've looked into a warranty claim but it doesn't appear that the depth of dip is great enough to qualify for a claim.

I've heard marketing claims that higher end mattresses in the $3k to $5k range, such as Tempur Pedic, are known for alleviating chronic back pain. Has anyone had first or second hand experience with such a thing?

Price is no object. This is only the beginning of my research so thanks for any input.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Talk with me about mattresses for chronic low back pain. [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want a sleep number

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Talk with me about mattresses for chronic low back pain. [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
I want a sleep number

My wife and I are likely going to pull the trigger soon on a company that is called personal comfort that is just like sleep number, but for less. It also appears you get more for your money too.

I'm thinking well get the A8 or something.

Check them out.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk with me about mattresses for chronic low back pain. [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in your shoes 10 years ago. Bought a pillowtop Sleep Number bed and gradually increased my "number" till it was 100. Best money I've ever spent
Quote Reply
Re: Talk with me about mattresses for chronic low back pain. [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
palmtrees wrote:
I want a sleep number

My wife and I are likely going to pull the trigger soon on a company that is called personal comfort that is just like sleep number, but for less. It also appears you get more for your money too.

I'm thinking well get the A8 or something.

Check them out.

Normatec vs Speedhound?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea who these people are (yet), so take their recommendations with a grain of salt.

https://www.sleepjunkie.org/...ress-for-a-bad-back/

ETA: They're employed by or consult with a company that's affiliated with the maker of their No. 1 recommended mattress, so... maybe their recommendations 2 through 7 are more credible.

War is god
Last edited by: Crank: Aug 13, 19 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a tad dated so, again, take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.consumerreports.org/...ot-comfort/index.htm

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought a Leesa and my wife and I both love it, and it's really helped my back. She's about 115lbs and I'm 225 and we're both comfortable. I have a Purple pillow and I'd love to have one of their mattresses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had severe lumbar pain (one wrong sneeze and I'm laid out on the floor) for five or so years between the age of 18 and 23. Disc compression, nerve impingement, etc. It was debilitating, often unable to work as a result.

I bought a tempurpedic brand mattress and haven't had a problem since. I'm 44 now and sleeping on the same mattress.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Talk with me about mattresses for chronic low back pain. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha I’m reading this for ideas on what to finally replace our temperpedic with since I’ve disliked it since we got it a decade ago.

I like firm mattresses- I hate the feeling of falling with nothing under me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried to sleep with a pillow under your knees? It creates a slight posterior tilt in your hip which may put your back into a neutral position. It helped me huge.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk with me about mattresses for chronic low back pain. [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Costco sells a firm mattress in a box that you might like. 750 for king
Quote Reply