Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I get away with a Chromebook?
Quote | Reply
The only thing I do on my personal computer that I can't do on google docs is Garmin Express for my 910xt and some kind of trainer app (was on Trainerroad last year, cancelled since my knee injury in Feb, so I'm open to anything as long as it's reasonably priced and works headache free).

A chromebook would be enough horsepower for my needs other than the above. Is there a way to make those work, or am I forced to get a Windoze machine? (I'm not getting a Mac, don't go there...)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get away with a Chromebook? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, looks like I can upload .fit files manually to garmin connect. So that's easy enough.

I could do trainer apps on my phone, but would rather not.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, they are awesome. Simple, fast, cheap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Ah, looks like I can upload .fit files manually to garmin connect. So that's easy enough.

I could do trainer apps on my phone, but would rather not.

I'll double check when I get home, but I think you can run Rouvy on Chrome OS as an Android App. I don't think Zwift is listed as compatible, but maybe you could sideload it. Regardless, I know both Rouvy and Zwift are quirky on Android. For example. Zwift won't use Ant+ in Android.

I'm pretty sure can run Golden Cheetah using Crostini (Linux Beta), but I don't know if it will connect to a trainer or not. The issue would be Crostini seeing the ANT+ or Bluetooth adapter.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get away with a Chromebook? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow - i was searching on google about getting a chromebook and this thread came up!
i am a teacher and have been using my school (windows) laptop to run training software for years.
school says get rid of extraneous programs (rouvy and golden cheetah).
i see the post saying golden cheetah runs on chromebook - is this confirmed - is someone using it?
i think i'm all fulgaz all the time on trainer software and i think i'm just going to go the apple tv 4k route to get the most bang for the buck on that front. thanks for any help - sincerely, rick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I was just checking out the thread about free video analysis software, and Kinovea came up, which is apparently windows only. I’ll give it a try on my dying laptop, and if i like it then it’ll have to be windows again.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Can I get away with a Chromebook? [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
wow - i was searching on google about getting a chromebook and this thread came up!
i am a teacher and have been using my school (windows) laptop to run training software for years.
school says get rid of extraneous programs (rouvy and golden cheetah).
i see the post saying golden cheetah runs on chromebook - is this confirmed - is someone using it?
i think i'm all fulgaz all the time on trainer software and i think i'm just going to go the apple tv 4k route to get the most bang for the buck on that front. thanks for any help - sincerely, rick

OK, so Golden Cheetah does run on a Chromebook if it supports Crostini (Linux Beta), but ANT+ dongles are not detected, and Bluetooth also seems unsupported, so trainer connections are not available.

The Rouvy android app runs, and but I'm unable to connect my trainer to it. The Android Apps feature of Chrome OS isn't compatible with the ANT+ software needed. My current trainer (StacZero Halcyon) is seen by the Bluetooth scanning, but shows as disconnected. I think this mirrors what it does on windows, where ANT+ is the only way I could get it to work. (I think this is not true)

TrainerRoads is available as an Android app, but it costs money and I haven't tried it out. The android ANT+ issues would still apply, but maybe it works better with Bluetooth. If they had a trial, I would try it out, but they don't so I won't.

I also wasn't able to get Strava to see my trainer, even though Strava on my phone sees it as a power meter without issue.

So that said, as much as I like my Chromebook, it doesn't seem like it's quite ready for this type of use.

Edit: just a quick update, after enable the NewBlue flag in chrome://flags Rouvy was able to see the Halcyon using BLE and seemed to function properly. Strava and Golden Cheetah still didn't work.
Last edited by: bufordt: Aug 12, 19 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Can I get away with a Chromebook? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my wife got a Chromebook for school and wants to use Golden Cheetah for stryd running analysis. Her Chromebook, a cheap Acer with Atom processor, has Linux support. Took me a while to install GC 3.4 because there was a lot of missing dependencies. I used dpkg, after running apt-get update and upgrade. Gonna see if I can set up autosync but for now she has to do with manual syncing.

Regarding trainerroad: have not tried it on the Chromebook. Maybe through wine lol?

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an adapter that I can connect a USB device to my phone or tablet. When I upload from my 500 I just use the web version for garmin connect.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running chromium on a windows laptop from a 256BG USB for my son.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I've found with Chromebooks is I am unable to watch any Live and On Demand stuff on NBCSN Gold (cycling) and any of Live broadcasts on Triathlon TV, On Demand stuff works, Live does not.

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply