Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Years and Years - HBO / BBC show
Quote | Reply
Did a quick search and didn't see this referenced.

Is anyone watching / has anyone made it through yet? I'm 2 episodes in and it's about as perfect a distillation of my concerns about the direction of the world as I can imagine.

Spoilers ahead.

The plot so far (2 episodes out of 6) tracks one multi-generational British family's lives through the next 6 years of global tumult. I expect the remaining episodes to keep marching forward through the following 10-20 years. So far plot-points include:
  • A second Trump term, followed by the installation of Pence.
  • Escalating trade-wars with China leading to a nuclear attack, by the US, on what appears to be one of the new islands China's building in the South China Sea.
  • Ensuing sanctions by the UK and others against the US leading to instability in the global financial system.
  • Additional waves of immigration from Eastern Europe due to further incursions by an expansionist Russia (still led by Putin).
  • The slow rise of a charismatic "low-information" politician in the UK played by Emma Thompson who begins her career by stating on live TV that she "doesn't give a f***" about Israel and Palestine. She names her party the four star party which is a decent joke and also a clever nod to Italy.
  • Climate change (a constant drumbeat though not fully explored yet).

If it sounds dense and as though it's trying too hard to hit it's marks, I can see that. It's grounded by some fantastic acting though and just the right mix of recognizable mundanity and believable futurism to make it really compelling. There's a scene early on when one of the daughters refuses to speak to her parents without her filter that made the hair on my neck stand-up.

Recommended.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Years and Years - HBO / BBC show [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes I watched it.... it's so anti-trump it's funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the show... it's genre bending. There are some surprises coming your way.

Too bad it's only 1 season, and that's it. But you will understand why once you get the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Years and Years - HBO / BBC show [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. He's glancingly referenced maybe 5 times in the first 2 episodes and Pence is in power by the end of the second so I assume he's a bigger plot point going forward.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
and Pence is in power by the end of the second so I assume he's a bigger plot point going forward.

Is it a prequel to The Handmaiden's Tale?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, ET does a pretty good Mancunian accent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
Interesting. He's glancingly referenced maybe 5 times in the first 2 episodes and Pence is in power by the end of the second so I assume he's a bigger plot point going forward.

not really... but you'll get there.. They pretty much stop mentioning Pence now...
Last edited by: spntrxi: Aug 6, 19 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 episodes in, liking it so far. Some bizarre, laugh-out-loud moments (drone scene being one).
Quote Reply