Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Today’s sign of the apocalypse.....
Quote | Reply
https://www.seattletimes.com/...says-threatened-her/

I feel out of touch, old, likely both.

A kid tells a teacher “I am going to fuck you up” and the teacher is the one being chastised? WTF? Maybe she overreacted but what else can she do? The only action she can take where she won’t be labeled a racist is the let th3 5th grade fuck her up.

When I was a 5th grader if a student said something like that to a teacher it would have meant a suspension.

Not a single word of reprimand fora student that used vile threatening language toward a teacher?

Now, turn down your music and get off my lawn.
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s sign of the apocalypse..... [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stupid to involve the police, stupid the school and parents didn’t read that kid the riot act.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's how it is now. Parents defend their kids to the death, and the teacher is always wrong.

Look at some 5th graders today, some will dwarf a petite female teacher, and could easily overpower/injure her if they got angry enough. Mix in some behavioral issues/oppositional defiance, and you have a decent recipe for a bad incident.

My wife teaches 3rd grade, and some of those kids are larger than average. I could tell in her voice whether certain kids were being difficult that day. Difficult sometimes included throwing chairs and desks in the classroom. Teachers can't really do anything to restrain or otherwise reprimand a child, other than send them to the Principal's office. If they do, the parents come down like a maelstrom on administration.

Getting back into the game...
Slower than you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe the solution is a very large companion animal. rotteweiler?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just pointing out the student is a minor, and schools do not generally make internal disciplinary actions public to reporters. So that could be why there's not a single word.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 4, 19 15:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/a-white-seattle-teacher-told-police-she-felt-unsafe-around-a-black-fifth-grader-who-she-says-threatened-her/

I feel out of touch, old, likely both.

A kid tells a teacher “I am going to fuck you up” and the teacher is the one being chastised? WTF? Maybe she overreacted but what else can she do? The only action she can take where she won’t be labeled a racist is the let th3 5th grade fuck her up.

When I was a 5th grader if a student said something like that to a teacher it would have meant a suspension.

Not a single word of reprimand fora student that used vile threatening language toward a teacher?

Now, turn down your music and get off my lawn.

My grade school principal had a paddle board with holes drilled it it hanging behind his desk. He used it when necessary. Yes, we were afraid of him, and it. We were good kids generally.

Now we have lawnmower parents, or no parenting. Then you get the above.
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s sign of the apocalypse..... [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fifth grade teacher was 6'5', 300 lbs, played lineman at one of the HBCs. Had the same type paddle with holes drill in it and was not shy to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s sign of the apocalypse..... [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
davec wrote:

My grade school principal had a paddle board with holes drilled it it hanging behind his desk. He used it when necessary. Yes, we were afraid of him, and it. We were good kids generally.

is a lawnmower parent similar to a helicopter parent, always hovering around the child?
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s sign of the apocalypse..... [Avago-1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avago-1 wrote:
dry heat wrote:
davec wrote:

is a lawnmower parent similar to a helicopter parent, always hovering around the child?

It’s a little different, there are a few articles about it. It’s the thought that the parent will go in front of the child and mow down (remove) any obstacle, so they never have to face or deal with adversity. Kids gets an F, the parent calls and reams out the teacher, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s sign of the apocalypse..... [tgrunnin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgrunnin wrote:
My fifth grade teacher was 6'5', 300 lbs, played lineman at one of the HBCs. Had the same type paddle with holes drill in it and was not shy to use it.

So violence is the solution. No problem. What if I hire a couple guys to pound my message of 'I'll never let an adult beat my child with a board without retribution' into that teacher.
Quote Reply
Re: Today’s sign of the apocalypse..... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
tgrunnin wrote:

So violence is the solution. No problem. What if I hire a couple guys to pound my message of 'I'll never let an adult beat my child with a board without retribution' into that teacher.

Yeah we had the paddles in the 70s and 80s, didn’t stop one of my middle school teachers from being assaulted by a student.
Quote Reply