Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: More Thoughts and Prayers [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
This isn't meant as an attack. You have shown that you are more than capable of having rational discussion. But this isn't it.

I invite you to to join me in taking a break. I have lurked but haven't posted here in over two weeks. I just needed a break from all the negativity. Not just politics, but in general. Everything just becomes an attack.

Feel free to read posts. But just keep your posts in your head. And relax. There is no way the way you are responding is how you are in normal life.

Maybe I'll come back, maybe I won't. But I know I need to chill for a while. You do too.

Me too only been a few days for me. funny this thread pulled us both back to posting.. logging off again...

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: More Thoughts and Prayers [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I wonder how many people actually say prayers for the victims?

My bet, close to zero.

The victims are dead or injured. Do you really think prayers are going to help them?

Then why do so many say their thoughts and prayers are with the victims?

I think it's because they are stalling to wait until the latest massacre gets off the front pages so they can go back to doing nothing about the gun problem. The other stalling tactics include,

• "We should really focus on mental health issues"
  • "Now is not the time to politicize this, shame on you for doing that"
  • They focus on a detail in the latest shooting and say "but eliminating x or doing something about y wouldn't have stopped this particular massacre so doing nothing is the better option.

I think people say "thoughts and prayers" because they're otherwise helpless as individuals to do anything more. It's not that they don't care, don't have opinions on what should be done, or are trying to stall. I've seen the meme about "thoughts and prayers" and "doing the very least," and I think that's much more trite that someone simply expressing their thoughts and prayers in light of a tragedy.

Whining about "thoughts and prayers" is a senseless as complaining about someone who said "I'm sorry" to someone who lost a loved one.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Aug 5, 19 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: More Thoughts and Prayers [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

My bet, close to zero.

The victims are dead or injured. Do you really think prayers are going to help them?

I think it's because they are stalling to wait until the latest massacre gets off the front pages so they can go back to doing nothing about the gun problem. The other stalling tactics include,

• They focus on a detail in the latest shooting and say "but eliminating x or doing something about y wouldn't have stopped this particular massacre so doing nothing is the better option.

I think people say "thoughts and prayers" because they're otherwise helpless as individuals to do anything more. It's not that they don't care, don't have opinions on what should be done, or are trying to stall. I've seen the meme about "thoughts and prayers" and "doing the very least," and I think that's much more trite that someone simply expressing their thoughts and prayers in light of a tragedy.

Whining about "thoughts and prayers" is a senseless as complaining about someone who said "I'm sorry" to someone who lost a loved one.

No, "thoughts and prayers" is mocking all the politicians that actually have the ability to affect change that say "thoughts and prayers" instead of doing anything about it. They can say both "thoughts and prayers" and what they are actually going to do. Instead all they say is "thoughts and prayer." Those that only say that should be mocked, because they are clearly trying to avoid doing anything about it. Those words are empty and everyone should be insulted by it.

They clearly do not care about the tragedy, or else they would do something to actually prevent future tragedies.

Plus, everyone is not helpless, you can stop voting for the people that actively prevent changes to gun laws that allow these to take place.
Quote Reply
Re: More Thoughts and Prayers [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

My bet, close to zero.

No, "thoughts and prayers" is mocking all the politicians that actually have the ability to affect change that say "thoughts and prayers" instead of doing anything about it. They can say both "thoughts and prayers" and what they are actually going to do. Instead all they say is "thoughts and prayer." Those that only say that should be mocked, because they are clearly trying to avoid doing anything about it. Those words are empty and everyone should be insulted by it.

They clearly do not care about the tragedy, or else they would do something to actually prevent future tragedies.

Plus, everyone is not helpless, you can stop voting for the people that actively prevent changes to gun laws that allow these to take place.

The meme commonly used to illustrate this point:

Quote Reply
Re: More Thoughts and Prayers [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"do something"

ok what?

give us specific legislation that would prevent these these two latest illegal acts.

Contrary to Dan's assertion I'm not being circular.

Give me specific legislation that would have prevent them

I've provided one. Have you?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: More Thoughts and Prayers [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:

you forgot the blame trump button
Last edited by: spntrxi: Aug 5, 19 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: More Thoughts and Prayers [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
geetee wrote:

you forgot the blame trump button

It's next to the "Toledo" button; I'm surprised you can't see it.
Quote Reply
Re: More Thoughts and Prayers [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
"do something"

ok what?

give us specific legislation that would prevent these these two latest illegal acts.

Contrary to Dan's assertion I'm not being circular.

Give me specific legislation that would have prevent them

I've provided one. Have you?

consequences of legislation can only be addresses as probabilities, not certainties - and even then it takes time for behavior modification, as for example re seat belt legislation.
Quote Reply
Re: More Thoughts and Prayers [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:

It's next to the "Toledo" button; I'm surprised you can't see it.

Seriously? You're making fun of dementia? That's low!

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next