Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First DNF in 11 years...Boulder 70.3 2019 [driftin'by] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driftin'by wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Does anyone know what the DNF rate was?.

Not bad, just under 10%, however 20% didn't start according to the results page.

2675 Athletes
543 DNS = 20.29%
207 DNF = 9.71%
2 DQ

I was volunteering at the mid-point of the swim and so many people stopped and complained about not being able to breathe because of the altitude. About 20 struggling with foggy goggles and a handful swimming without goggles. Two stripped their wet suits mid-swim.

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised the DNF rate was not higher. The times when compared to last year are incredibly slow. The heat played such a huge factor and the suffering was so visible on the run that I was sure the DNF rate would be higher. I guess people push through!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: First DNF in 11 years...Boulder 70.3 2019 [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I am originally from the area near Finland, but lived in Southern California for over 25 years. I raced in Boulder twice, and did have 1 incident of a panic attack in the water, but other than that had no real trouble racing although it seemed like I was just somewhat slower there across the board.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: First DNF in 11 years...Boulder 70.3 2019 [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived and raced in Boulder for about 12 years - the altitude ( meaning thin air) I don't take as a big deal although swimming can be challenging because you are already oxygen starved to some extent in the water. If the altitude was that big a deal - the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche would have better home records was how I convinced myself to go harder. I did some X-terra races at ski areas and above 9,000ft/ 3000 meters I did feel a real difference.

What I always felt was a bigger issue in Boulder was the reservoir water which is more of a cattle toilet. ( Looks at all the ranches that surround it) The bacteria count in there led to multiple closures most years and if you ingest much water you can have GI issues later in the day. I blame a poor day at IM Boulder on spending 1+ hours in the water and then having problems keeping my food down on the bike and run, so consider that. Also - that run is hot!!!

Like you say, its a hobby so just try to learn a lesson or two and keep on Triing...

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twas a tough day out there, this is my third consecutive IM Boulder 70.3 and the run breaks me every single year. Agree with others' comments - perhaps a move earlier in the year will make it more tolerable. I've done the Harvest Moon 70.3 on the exact same course in late Sept and am so much faster in that race, much better day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triguy 86, sounds like you made the right call. You'll get 'em next time.

I live at sea level and went with an "anti-acclimation strategy" flying in Friday afternoon and crossing my fingers. I had a solid day but ran :08 -:10 minutes slower than I expected which I attribute to the heat, exposure, and the trail sections which made it difficult to pass/open up a stride. I also I think a very warm swim took more out of me than I realized -- it felt like I was swimming in soup!

The course is beautiful, the race is well organized, and Colorado is just the best so I'll return.

Hope you're recovering well, congrats to all.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply

Prev Next