Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Water resistant to 100M my ass
Quote | Reply
Went in the Jacuzzi with my watch on. fogged up. It claims to be water resistant to 100m. Should I take it to a repair shop, or will it dry out on its own?
Quote Reply
Re: Water resistant to 100M my ass [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posting some information about the watch will help. Is it a $30 Timex or a high end watch. We can't make recommendations without knowing what kind of watch it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a difference between "water resistant" and "waterproof".

Water temperature also effects the integrity of the level of water resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
Went in the Jacuzzi with my watch on. fogged up. It claims to be water resistant to 100m. Should I take it to a repair shop, or will it dry out on its own?

Yeah but it put up some resistance before it let the water in.
Quote Reply
Re: Water resistant to 100M my ass [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Bleucheese wrote:

Yeah but it put up some resistance before it let the water in.

I think what Bleucheese really needs is proof.
Quote Reply
Re: Water resistant to 100M my ass [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brand is Revo. Not high end, probably cost just over $100 ten years ago. Mainly a sentimental item, but I like everything about it (the weight, size of the numbers, the face, etc). All stainless, Japanese movement. Battery. Still ticks with the fogging. In reality, it most likely will cost the same to replace it as it would to have someone take it apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're complaining about a $100 watch losing it's seal after 10 years.

Next.
Quote Reply
Re: Water resistant to 100M my ass [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:

Yeah but it put up some resistance before it let the water in.[/quote]

I think what Bleucheese really needs is proof.[/quote]
I don't scuba dive, so I never need a water proof watch, but if the watch says on the back "Water resistant to 100M", one would think sinking it two feet wouldn't harm it.

I'm just curious if it will dry out eventually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You could try putting the watch in a container of uncooked rice for a day. or gently warm with a hair dryer.
Quote Reply
Re: Water resistant to 100M my ass [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

You could try putting the watch in a container of uncooked rice for a day. or gently warm with a hair dryer.

Tried that for three days. No change. It think the rice method is an urban myth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
I don't scuba dive, so I never need a water proof watch, but if the watch says on the back "Water resistant to 100M", one would think sinking it two feet wouldn't harm it.

Thom's quip about resistance holds a lot of truth.

"Water resistant to 100 metres" is marketing, not a guarantee. The watch may be able to withstand that pressure for a brief period, but I doubt there's any specification for how long.

As I alluded to, your watch didn't just go two feet under. It was immersed in hot water and not momentarily. Metal expands when heated and the integrity of seals is compromised.

Bleucheese wrote:
I'm just curious if it will dry out eventually.

No real idea. Probably depends on a few things, not least how much water is inside the watch.

You could try leaving it on sunny windowsill for a week and see how it goes. Or take it to a watchmaker and just ask if they think it's worth servicing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you try any of the drying methods with the battery cover removed? It might help with moisture release, especially upside-down if using sunlight/heat.

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your Watch Evolves
Keep in mind that your watch is labeled according to how resistant it is fresh out of the box. A 5-year-old watch's resistance will wear down over time. Sudden temperature changes, repeated use during training swims, and other factors can wear down the watch's ability to seal off water and stay resistant.
https://www.active.com/...h-really-mean?page=2

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Water resistant to 100M my ass [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. This is the first time it has been in the water, but it was hot water, and the thing is ten years old, so I can't really complain. And my initial post had nothing to do with bitching about the fact it fogged up. I was curious if anyone ever had a similar situation, and that their watch eventually dried up and the fogging went away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My father was a watchmaker. He repaired a lot of watches over a long career. He often opened up watches then asked the customer, "Do you wear it in the shower or when doing the washing up?"

When it comes to watches, the sum of my minimal knowledge is gleaned from what he told me about me his work.

I imagine all the componentry would still be pretty much intact. An experienced watchmaker would have seen similar scenarios many a time and I assume would be able to quickly assess if it's worth the time and money soon after taking the watch's back off.

Best of luck with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Water resistant to 100M my ass"

.....and good on you for having such a watertight sphincter. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read this: https://www.reeds.com/water-resistance.html

The depth rating is not how deep it can go, it’s the pressure rating for the case. So 100m actually means light submersion and swimming. Anything beyond that and you need a properly rated divers’ watch.

And even then, wearing it in the jacuzzi, shower etc is asking for trouble. The heat of the water heats and loosens the gaskets, letting water in, and the pulsing of the water forces it into any gaps (I.e akin to it being at a higher depth).

So, the depth rating has nothing to do with this. Wearing it in a jacuzzi has. I bet if it was a Rolex they’d not support a warranty on a divers’s watch if you’d worn it in a jacuzzi.

In terms of fixing it, take it to a watch repair shop. It just needs to Crystal popping out, drying and the gaskets refitting. It’s likely to cost more than the value of the watch though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How exactly did you find out that your ass was only water resistant to 100M.

Not sure if I am more curious about the 100m or the water resistant instead of water proof.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Water resistant to 100M my ass [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found out exactly how tight my ass is in prison. Continues to be exit only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
schroeder wrote:

Tried that for three days. No change. It think the rice method is an urban myth.

I heard somewhere that the rice is to attract little Asians who'll come and fix the problem.

But that might also be an urban myth.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:

Reminds me of my Olympus underwater camera. Gauranteed to 150 ft. Flooded on a shallow 45 ft dive the first time I used it.
Quote Reply