Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Basebar grip help?
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek Speed Concept and am recently noticing that my grip/control is pretty terrible when I'm using the brakes on the basebars. I just moved from a high/near stem to a high/far, and re-taped the bars with Bontrager tape (relatively thin), and since then I've really noticed this feeling that when braking or descending on the basebars I have to put a death grip on them (really squeezing the ends) or I feel like I'm going to slip off or go over the top. My fingers are basically jamming into the brakes and it's overall just not a confidence inspiring feeling. I'm a tall/lanky guy running a relatively large drop from the saddle which surely doesn't help. It's bad enough that I'm worried that if I have really sweaty hands, I could potentially lose my grip on the bars if I hit a bump or something. Obviously I don't want to be worried about my grip here when doing descents and the like, so does anyone have any recommendations? I basically want some sort of "stopper" on the end of the basebar to keep my hands from slipping forward. Some ideas I had:

- Use super thick/sticky tape on the basebars
- Use an "extra" layer of tape over the regular tape on the end of the basebars only
- Use some sort of skateboard tape or gritty tape, maybe just on the end
- Use gloves, maybe in combination with the above
Quote Reply
Re: Basebar grip help? [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently use Silicone rescue tape (thin and grippy). Have also had good luck with Gamma Grip II racket tape (cheap and comes in lots of colors).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Basebar grip help? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Have also had good luck with Gamma Grip II racket tape (cheap and comes in lots of colors).

Tourna Mega Tac is even better, and real leather is great until it gets too saturated..

Getting back into the game...
Slower than you.
Quote Reply
Re: Basebar grip help? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Lizard Skins bar tape. So grippy when dry or wet. I've never worried about my grip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Profile Aerogrips, which are rubber and have a decent amount of grip.

I've also seen articles showing that CX racers put dots of silicone on their brake levers to improve grip in wet conditions - maybe try that on top of the tape to provide extra grip? (no idea how well silicone would adhere to tape)

If it's affecting your confidence to the extent you describe, gloves with good grip on the palms would probably be a good option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Lizard Skins. Very grippy in all situations and squishy enough that they compress a little to lock in your grip.
Quote Reply
Re: Basebar grip help? [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the tips, think I'll grab some Lizard Skins for the basebars...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Supacaz tape is really nice. The shop I work at carry it and the customers we have installed it on are really happy. The head mechanic and me are really impressed with it and I'll be going that way for sure.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Jul 31, 19 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Basebar grip help? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought this tape at TriPlay Dallas. Really grippy and comfortable tape.

https://www.serfas.com/...-polka-dot-bar-tape/
Quote Reply