Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Debate: did you watch? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But at some point you are going to have to acknowledge that playing the race card is a regular part of the Democratic political playbook if you wish to have credibility that it may be "different" this time.

I agree. However, saying that one side panders to a certain race/race politics/etc. is drastically different than saying that you are going to be called a racist.

It is the same thing as GOP saying that the dems pander to minorities/want minority votes etc. This is drastically different than being called a racist. This is what was initially brought up.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate: did you watch? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! these are at least two articles that imply (which was requested) dems are for open borders, while at the same time acknowledging that they are not. Talking about the criminal/civil infraction difference that was discussed above.

"That moment was perhaps the Democratic Party's most significant step yet toward embracing a policy of open borders."

But leading Democrats who have previously insisted that they oppose open borders seem to be inviting that very outcome.
Last edited by: patentattorney: Aug 1, 19 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Debate: did you watch? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Quote:
But at some point you are going to have to acknowledge that playing the race card is a regular part of the Democratic political playbook if you wish to have credibility that it may be "different" this time.

I agree. However, saying that one side panders to a certain race/race politics/etc. is drastically different than saying that you are going to be called a racist.

It is the same thing as GOP saying that the dems pander to minorities/want minority votes etc. This is drastically different than being called a racist. This is what was initially brought up.

While I understand your position , as someone who has followed the R side of Pesidentiwl politics since Reagan we will have to agree to disagree.

It hasn’t been pandering. It’s consistently portraying R candidates for President as racist.

The fact that it may or may not be true in this case doesn’t change the previous pattern or the previous intent
Quote Reply
Re: Debate: did you watch? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree to disagree my man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Agree to disagree my man!

In this room, if we end there, it’s a win win in my book
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    You're looking for someone to say "I'm for open borders", but the reality is that it's the sum of their positions and where the immigration law is currently. Lefty Andrew Sullivan lays things out, then asks'
"How, I ask, is that not practically open borders?", then goes on to point out why the answers he gets to the question are hollow. Agree or disagree, but he lays it out well.

http://nymag.com/...-on-immigration.html
Quote Reply
Re: Debate: did you watch? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
velocomp wrote:
spudone wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
velocomp wrote:
chaparral wrote:

Did all these people that say they will vote for a moderate, vote for the moderate the democrats ran against trump in 2016?

They'll vote for a moderate that isn't an awful candidate.

This. Hillary, IMO, is a corrupt, untrustworthy, power hungry person. I could never trust her.

Since I know that Chapparal and Kay will say "What about Trump?" He is the same thing. So give me a decent alternative and I will vote for that person over Trump.

Realistically, the fox news crowd will believe *any* dem candidate is corrupt, untrustworthy and power hungry by the time the right wing smear campaign goes into full force.

How is that different than the left crowd from CNN and MSNBC? Remember Romney and McCain. Both went from the middle/moderate to Racist, Corrupt Republicans as soon as they ran for president. If nothing else, I think we can agree that the political system sucks. And it is the main reason that the best people would never run.
Can you point me an example where there was national consensus that McCain and Romney were racist, like we see with trump?
National consensus? Wow! Do you live in the United States?
Quote Reply
Re: Debate: did you watch? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:
Well if the only plan was medicare for all then your current doctor wouldn't have a choice but to participate so you wouldn't lose them would you?

Well, they would have the choice to get out of medicine. Or become a concierge doctor to the rich.

If it costs you $2 to produce a widget, and the government is going to force you to sell it for $1, you aren't going to stay in the widget business for long.

Doctors are already retiring early or leaving medicine. Particularly in high risk practices (OBGYN, neurosurgery, etc.).

And somehow I don't think the best and brightest are going to be what's left, or that the best and brightest students are going to go into medicine if it becomes socialized.

They might if their college and med school costs go away.
Many years ago, idealists did enter medicine, only to be lured into the higher paying specialities when tuition was biting into their lifestyles.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Debate: did you watch? [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cost of tuition aside, only a certain percentage of the population is going to be mentally capable of making it through med school whereas demand for medical services is likely to continue to rise. If your compensation plan drives away doctors in their prime, then you're just going to make things much worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate: did you watch? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Sullivan is not left learning. Unless by lefty you mean southpaw. Then maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate: did you watch? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
velocomp wrote:
So as someone from the Right, I see Sanders and Warren as crazy choices, Biden as a buffoon, but some of the candidates are reasonable. Ryan got a lot of play this week. Can someone from the left tell me what it is about him that makes him a non-starter? I think if the Dem party went with one of the less far left people they might have a chance to pick up rational people from the Right, but if they go with one of the far left candidates, even including Booker and Harris, there is no chance.

This is what I don't understand. Do they really think they can win with some of the far left crazies out there? Now is the perfect time to nominate a moderate Dem as I believe that there are a lot of people like me who would pull the Dem lever instead of voting for Trump.

It's the same logic as the far right has pushed since Rush Limbaugh came onto the seen. If we just elected a solid conservative (AKA far right loon), the dems don't stand a chance. In a way, Trump confirmed this in both the fringe right and the fringe left now see their opportunity. Trump isn't making any gestures to moderates or expanding his umbrella. He knows if he can get his solidly loyal base to turn out, guys like me who vote no matter what, will still hold our nose and pull the lever.

The dems seem to be following the same strategy. If they can get a radical that will motivate the far left that often takes their toys and go home when their favored candidate loses, the loyal voters will pull the lever for them over trump.

This is a very cynical period of time when both parties aren't making any effort to reach out to 70-80% of the population.

I liked what I heard from Delany and Bullock. Ryan was also right when he called out that no feasible gov't policy could possibly provide the level of care that union negotiated Cadillac plans could, let alone at a cheaper rate. And just because Bernie "wrote the damn bill" doesn't mean anything. It would still have to pass, and more importantly get funded with money we don't have. Yes, I know, neither side is fiscally responsible. But holy cow, his plan is crazy it fantasyland math and to many people are getting high on their own supply.

On an interesting note, I've long argued that Obamacare was a bell that couldn't be unrung. The concept of the US moving back toward any sort of free market system is fantasyland. Obamacare wouldn't be replaced by anything with less gov't or without basic gov't operation. I was laughed at by many in my circles. But rational republican and democrats agreed. A system that had gov't guaranteed basic care with the ability to purchase better care would be in place until democrats ran on the concept of "why shouldn't you have the same access to better care, free of charge", and destroy that system that would be better than what we have now.

Well, I was half right. We won't get there until it is absolutely necessary. I listened to a bi-partisan effort to reform care. The left is already calling a system where those with means can buy supplemental care or even pay for better care out of pocket a non starter. To them, the only option is a comprehensive care system that rivals the best insurance policies. Like bernies fantastical plan. The right on the other hand, wants to move back toward cash based plans that disproportionately benefit those with means. HSA are not readily available to all employees, let alone the unemployed.

So we're stuck with what we have until the system reaches critical mass and has to be fixed. Then we may end up with my original prediction, with the debate being on what constitutes the basic/essential care. Why, because the left isn't satisfied with a workable system that is equal for all, and the right is too blind to realize we'll never move back to a private run system.

God help us all.
Quote Reply
Re: Debate: did you watch? [Ozymandias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ozymandias wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
velocomp wrote:
So as someone from the Right, I see Sanders and Warren as crazy choices, Biden as a buffoon, but some of the candidates are reasonable. Ryan got a lot of play this week. Can someone from the left tell me what it is about him that makes him a non-starter? I think if the Dem party went with one of the less far left people they might have a chance to pick up rational people from the Right, but if they go with one of the far left candidates, even including Booker and Harris, there is no chance.

This is what I don't understand. Do they really think they can win with some of the far left crazies out there? Now is the perfect time to nominate a moderate Dem as I believe that there are a lot of people like me who would pull the Dem lever instead of voting for Trump.

It's the same logic as the far right has pushed since Rush Limbaugh came onto the seen. If we just elected a solid conservative (AKA far right loon), the dems don't stand a chance. In a way, Trump confirmed this in both the fringe right and the fringe left now see their opportunity. Trump isn't making any gestures to moderates or expanding his umbrella. He knows if he can get his solidly loyal base to turn out, guys like me who vote no matter what, will still hold our nose and pull the lever.

The dems seem to be following the same strategy. If they can get a radical that will motivate the far left that often takes their toys and go home when their favored candidate loses, the loyal voters will pull the lever for them over trump.

There are no radical, far left democratic candidates in my opinion. Far left would be calling for the seizure of the means of production, NOT "Let's stop letting people die because they can't afford insulin."
Quote Reply

Prev Next