Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USSF v USWNT
Quote | Reply
https://edition-m.cnn.com/...2Fedition.cnn.com%2F

USSF lands the first blow. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Quote Reply
Re: USSF v USWNT [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/07/30/football/uswnt-players-respond-to-us-soccer-president-open-letter-spt-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2F

More like the first counter punch the women have been pummeling them for weeks. I have a feeling this is going to keep going back and forth with different analyses looking at different time frames, different types of payouts, etc. to make their respective cases.
Quote Reply
Re: USSF v USWNT [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
davec wrote:
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/07/30/football/uswnt-players-respond-to-us-soccer-president-open-letter-spt-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2F

More like the first counter punch the women have been pummeling them for weeks. I have a feeling this is going to keep going back and forth with different analyses looking at different time frames, different types of payouts, etc. to make their respective cases.

And it will fade into oblivion until the next World Cup when people pay attention again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
davec wrote:

Agreed, it also seams odd that both parties are going tit for tat in the media while entertaining mediation.

Even groups like GM and the Autoworkers would tone it down a bit.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They aren't doing the same job. When they can make the men's team they can get paid like the men. Simple.

They could start by being better than 15 year old boys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh?

Over a 10 year period the WNT had a loss of -$27.5 million while the men had -$3.1 million. The women made more money and had benefits than the men's team but had a bigger gap in world cup pay from FIFA. Shouldn't the women be suing/pressuring FIFA and not USSF?
Last edited by: BreadPudding: Jul 30, 19 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: USSF v USWNT [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
They aren't doing the same job. When they can make the men's team they can get paid like the men. Simple.

Not quite that simple. You would need to look at revenue generation between the two squads. While in many sports (ie basketball with the NBA vs the WNBA) the men’s side brings in far more money than the women’s, I’m not so sure that is the case in soccer. The women’s team is and has been far more success than the men’s team. They might also boast a bigger ‘fanbase’ as well.

I mean, WAY more people watched their games at the 2019 Women’s World Cup than the US men’s team at the 2018 World Cup....

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: USSF v USWNT [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Not quite that simple. You would need to look at revenue generation between the two squads. While in many sports (ie basketball with the NBA vs the WNBA) the men’s side brings in far more money than the women’s, I’m not so sure that is the case in soccer. The women’s team is and has been far more success than the men’s team. They might also boast a bigger ‘fanbase’ as well.

I mean, WAY more people watched their games at the 2019 Women’s World Cup than the US men’s team at the 2018 World Cup....

Good chuckle at the end there.

I don’t think there’s any comparison in revenue generation between them women and the men. The men generate way more and the women receive a higher percentage of their revenue generated than the men do. This whole argument is stupid. It’s not equal work so there isn’t an equal pay argument to be made. Finally, they are being paid on the contract THEY negotiated and no one is making them play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

I don’t think there’s any comparison in revenue generation between them women and the men. The men generate way more and the women receive a higher percentage of their revenue generated than the men do. This whole argument is stupid. It’s not equal work so there isn’t an equal pay argument to be made. Finally, they are being paid on the contract THEY negotiated and no one is making them play.

In your first sentence you say there is no comparison between the two teams but the very next sentence you say the men generate way more. Which is it?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

In your first sentence you say there is no comparison between the two teams but the very next sentence you say the men generate way more. Which is it?

Using definition 1 a, or 2

comparison noun
com·​par·​i·​son | \ kəm-ˈper-ə-sən , -ˈpa-rə-\
Definition of comparison
1 : the act or process of comparing: such as
a : the representing of one thing or person as similar to or like another
His poetry invites comparison with the poems of Robert Frost.
b : an examination of two or more items to establish similarities and dissimilarities
His faults seem minor by comparison.
a comparison of the sports cars
2 : identity of features : SIMILARITY
several points of comparison between the two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

This is what I don't get. They were fine with what they negotiated when they negotiated it, but now they are claiming that they don't get equal pay. Well they should look in the mirror because they agreed to this "unequal" pay. Does anyone know when the agreement is over? They get benefits that the men's team doesn't, health benefits, 401k, get a salary no matter how much they play, and have their league salary paid by USSF. It sounds like the ones with the gripe should be the men's team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

I don't understand these arguments.

WWC Final 2019 according to FIFA in the US was 16MM viewers and down 38% from the 2015 Final viewership.
WWC Final 2015 viewership was around 25MM if I remember.
Women's Group Stage Match vs Thailand this year was 2.6MM

Women's group stage matches are in the single digit for million of viewers.

USA Mens Group Stage USA vs Portugal 2014 was 25MM which was the same number as the MWC Final 2010.
USA Group Stage matches in 2014 ranged from 14MM-25MM.

USA men vs Mexico gold cup Final had 9MM viewers and that was only the Gold Cup.

Can someone clarify where the women keep gaining more viewership than the men? Its never an apples to apples comparison. The men had 10MM more viewers in a group stage match compared to the women's final.

Unless my numbers are wrong, but a lot are from Fifa, FS1, Univision etc.
Quote Reply
Re: USSF v USWNT [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

WWC Final 2019 according to FIFA in the US was 16MM viewers and down 38% from the 2015 Final viewership.

USA Mens Group Stage USA vs Portugal 2014 was 25MM which was the same number as the MWC Final 2010.

USA men vs Mexico gold cup Final had 9MM viewers and that was only the Gold Cup.

Can someone clarify where the women keep gaining more viewership than the men? Its never an apples to apples comparison. The men had 10MM more viewers in a group stage match compared to the women's final.

Not sure there will ever be reliable numbers on these things. US soccer claims the women are paid more RIGHT NOW because they get a guaranteed salary of 100K a year plus their club team salary is paid by US soccer. However, the men get bigger per game bonuses and no guarantee.

Currently the men and women are on two different CBA and paid under a different structure. This could all go away if US soccer said. "OK, you now get the same agreement as the men. No guarantees, no club salary and no medical. You get paid bonuses based upon games played and wins. This would be a great thing to do and fair for all involved. The men actually came out and supported this as well.

The split of the money from adds, jerseys, tickets should be paid to whichever team generated the revenue at the same percentage for each team.

Mediation over. Sign here and pay my fee.
Quote Reply
Re: USSF v USWNT [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Not sure there will ever be reliable numbers on these things. US soccer claims the women are paid more RIGHT NOW because they get a guaranteed salary of 100K a year plus their club team salary is paid by US soccer. However, the men get bigger per game bonuses and no guarantee.

Currently the men and women are on two different CBA and paid under a different structure. This could all go away if US soccer said. "OK, you now get the same agreement as the men. No guarantees, no club salary and no medical. You get paid bonuses based upon games played and wins. This would be a great thing to do and fair for all involved. The men actually came out and supported this as well.

The split of the money from adds, jerseys, tickets should be paid to whichever team generated the revenue at the same percentage for each team.

Mediation over. Sign here and pay my fee.

That’s what I said in an earlier thread, give them equality and give it to them good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That’s what I said in an earlier thread, give them equality and give it to them good.

+1
Quote Reply