Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computer software security hahaha
Quote | Reply
Capital one breached and something like 100 million customers data compromised. Before that Equifax. Maybe we should just go back to paper for storage of important identifying information until we can get something secure.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Computer software security hahaha [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Capital one breached and something like 100 million customers data compromised. Before that Equifax. Maybe we should just go back to paper for storage of important identifying information until we can get something secure.

Something about this breach seems odd to me, at 100 million records this would mean 1/3 of all Americans are either customers or have applied for a Capital One line of credit. Doesn’t that seem high?

At this point I’m wondering how many Americans personal data has NOT been breached and out in the wild.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer software security hahaha [Ijustrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The number did seem high. I get a mailing from Capital one about every three months to apply for their card.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Computer software security hahaha [Ijustrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ijustrun wrote:
len wrote:

Something about this breach seems odd to me, at 100 million records this would mean 1/3 of all Americans are either customers or have applied for a Capital One line of credit. Doesn’t that seem high?

At this point I’m wondering how many Americans personal data has NOT been breached and out in the wild.

Capital One is also used by other companies as their credit vehicle, in Canada for example the Costco Mastercard is managed by them. That's why the breach is so large, a lot of people have C1 products in their wallets and aren't even aware of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer software security hahaha [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Equifax should have been put out of business and their executives jailed. Instead they got off with a slap on their wrist and their execs probably got a big fat bonus.

When these guys have no skin on the line, why would they make security a priority over profits?
Quote Reply
Re: Computer software security hahaha [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justcallmejoe wrote:
Ijustrun wrote:
len wrote:

Capital One is also used by other companies as their credit vehicle, in Canada for example the Costco Mastercard is managed by them. That's why the breach is so large, a lot of people have C1 products in their wallets and aren't even aware of it.

I'm off the grid as far as major banks are concerned. My only credit card is with a credit union.

Capital One, isn't that the commercial with "what's in your wallet?" It's not a Capital One card. Bwaaha.
Quote Reply