Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Michigan hates dodgeball and children - charges 10 year old with aggravated assault [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
An update for the Detroit Free Press

Charges have been dropped against a 10-year-old Canton boy who was set to go to court Thursday after he reportedly threw a ball at a classmate's head.
"While the charge in this case is certainly sustainable, I have instructed my staff to dismiss this case today," said Wayne county Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy in a statement Wednesday.
….

Translation - "we fucked up, but can't admit it publicly"

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan hates dodgeball and children - charges 10 year old with aggravated assault [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Go Pound Sand wrote:

Charges have been dropped against a 10-year-old Canton boy who was set to go to court Thursday after he reportedly threw a ball at a classmate's head.
"While the charge in this case is certainly sustainable, I have instructed my staff to dismiss this case today," said Wayne county Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy in a statement Wednesday.
….

Or the violent kid's mom was successful in her campaign to get public opinion on her side by not giving the real facts. And the police/DA does not want any more bad attention.

This would have been more reasonable as Assault 3 and not a Felony, But I have seen kids get records for breaking a window. This seems a much worse thing to do hitting a kid so hard he had a concussion, black eye and bruised nose. There was no game going on and the previous game does not involve throwing at the face. This was an intentional act.

Mom wins, kid learns he can get away with bad behavior.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan hates dodgeball and children - charges 10 year old with aggravated assault [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Go Pound Sand wrote:

….

Or the violent kid's mom was successful in her campaign to get public opinion on her side by not giving the real facts. And the police/DA does not want any more bad attention.

This would have been more reasonable as Assault 3 and not a Felony, But I have seen kids get records for breaking a window. This seems a much worse thing to do hitting a kid so hard he had a concussion, black eye and bruised nose. There was no game going on and the previous game does not involve throwing at the face. This was an intentional act.

So they fucked up....

You think that because the prosecutor dropped the charges, the kid thinks he can get away with bad behavior? You seem to be under the impression that the primary caregiver in society is law enforcement, and parents don't have any role to play.

The 10 year old did something that thousands of other kids do all the time. Charges weren't warranted, so they got dropped. If charges were the right thing to do, then the DA could easily justify those charges, but they chose not to. There's a reason for that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Michigan hates dodgeball and children - charges 10 year old with aggravated assault [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“The mother of the alleged victim had every right to go to the authorities and the authorities had an obligation to investigate. When this case was reviewed by my office, no one paid attention to the race of either party. It is categorically wrong to suggest that this was charged based on race or geography,” she said.
Prosecutors said they hope the families can reach an agreement outside of court but have not ruled out revisiting the charges if such an agreement can't be made.

From https://www.foxnews.com/...r-dodgeball-incident

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Michigan hates dodgeball and children - charges 10 year old with aggravated assault [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
“The mother of the alleged victim had every right to go to the authorities and the authorities had an obligation to investigate. When this case was reviewed by my office, no one paid attention to the race of either party. It is categorically wrong to suggest that this was charged based on race or geography,” she said.
Prosecutors said they hope the families can reach an agreement outside of court but have not ruled out revisiting the charges if such an agreement can't be made.

From https://www.foxnews.com/...r-dodgeball-incident

Why do the families have to reach an agreement at all? The kid threw a ball. A ball that is designed to be thrown at other people. It wasn't a rock. It wasn't a weapon. It was a ball.

ETA - The prosecutor's statement that "When this case was reviewed by my office, no one paid attention to the race of either party. It is categorically wrong to suggest that this was charged based on race or geography" is a non-statement. Do you actually think they would say if the charges were made based on race or geography? I don't know if they were or weren't biased by the race of the children involved, but this statement doesn't mean anything.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 31, 19 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
patf wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Go Pound Sand wrote:

….

So they fucked up....

You think that because the prosecutor dropped the charges, the kid thinks he can get away with bad behavior? You seem to be under the impression that the primary caregiver in society is law enforcement, and parents don't have any role to play.

The 10 year old did something that thousands of other kids do all the time. Charges weren't warranted, so they got dropped. If charges were the right thing to do, then the DA could easily justify those charges, but they chose not to. There's a reason for that.

Yup!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply

Prev Next